Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Powder Mag is Done

and Surfer, Bike, Snowboarder and more.

Sad, sad, sad, sad. That's the rumor for now, more to come soon I'm sure.

Damn! I havent bought one in a while(i guess im not the only one who hasnt) but it feels like we've lost an institution

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Wha wha what? Done as in like no longer operating? Like out of business?
    swing your fucking sword.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    that really sucks... long time subscriber to bike and powder... Have noticed the editing quality has degraded over the past few issues (more typos, grammar errors) but I was really excited to see both mags take a direct stance on climate change and racial injustice recently.

Not surprised. SWJ, woke, and other non related concerns took over the content. That was a recipe to alienate readers.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

At one time I think I subscribed to Bike, Powder and Surfer at the same time. It was an institution. Bummer. Having said that, I have to admit to subscribing to none of them now.

I remember looking forward to the photo annuals...

Powder Mag is Done

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    Not surprised. SWJ, woke, and other non related concerns took over the content. That was a recipe to alienate readers.

yeah ok. so then what happened to skiing or snow country? playboy? how many other magazine publishers going broke this year....

dep downstairs used to have four racks of dead trees, now it’s two. guess everyone just alienated their readers and absolutely nothing to do with the ability to read whatever you want online instantly combined with the shit money for ads, not to mention corona.

go watch more faux news bro

p.s. say it ain’t so
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Just got one in the mail a few weeks ago. The “Fall 2020” issue.

Always liked the annual equipment review and the Shooting Gallery. May of those pics adorn my garage walls for some year long stoke.

Sad to see it go, but not surprised.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6134.JPG 
Views:	377 
Size:	202.3 KB 
ID:	342248

Saw this on twitter too, since it is raining outside and I am glued to today's shitshow. I think this is the only magazine I actually still subscribe to. Sad.

I cannot find anything about this. Anybody got a link or screenshot? Pretty sure all the issues for this season are more or less already produced. Just got the fall issue a week ago.

Edit: I see something about Surfer employees being furloughed but nothing about Powder.

Annie Fast on twitter. She used to be the editor of Transworld Snowboarder and a long time industry person (from Bozeman!)

I blame Daniel.

So now her Twitter says it is being billed as a temporary suspension of operations. Hmmm..

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post

This is such profound bullshit

Powder was the last magazine I subscribed to, for many years. Fantastic photography, and there's just something about seeing it in print.

Then I was slow pre-paying for the upcoming season once and they sent a letter that *appeared* to threaten to send me to "collections"...really Powder? Is it wise to get nasty trying to convince someone to continue subscribing? It's not as if they sent any issues that weren't prepaid and I owed them money. The bogus scare strategy left a bad taste.

The self rightous editorial tone was the last straw. If I wanted to pay to be preached to, I'd join a church.

the internet has been a big downer for the hardcopy magazine for sometime and Covid was the final nail in the coffin

look around you and think about how many businesses won't be here 1 year from now ?

my GF looked at her #'s and made the decision to close up and consolidate into a leaner model as opposed to waiting till it died a slow death

she was not fun thru that process but we kept going
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    So now her Twitter says it is being billed as a temporary suspension of operations. Hmmm..
    That's good.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    Just you never mind COVID and this new thing that came along called the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    Bullshit...but certainly a hint of truth...in a super difficult market one can’t afford to flip off a sizable percentage of subscribers...or any subscribers really...yet here we are.

I subscribe for the stoke...roll my eyes at the politics...I guess many didn’t just roll their eyes...

Sucks. One less thing to look forward to only daily trudge to the mailbox

Seems like their bean counters be trippin' ...

Paid for a prescription 20+ years ago, never renewed, still coming like clockwork.

Kind shits on the bottom line.

Well that sucks, I just signed up about 3 weeks ago and was looking forward to having them come in the mail. Hopefully it is a temporary stoppage and will get back to printing them.

Gone are some good photos. Good thing wildsnow is around for quality content to take its place.......

anyone got a link etc?

I think it is just word of mouth. I saw it from a ski industry insider that retweeted https://twitter.com/anniefast/status...451719169?s=19

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Here is where the rumors are coming from.
    https://twitter.com/anniefast/status...z4SATcHvsxGxJ0

https://twitter.com/skiingrogge/stat...01163292389376

As far as the wishful thinking that Powder will return? We have been saying for a while that print is dead and what was going to happen in the next 5 years is happening now. I don't see a return to print, maybe digital but not print. What is sad is that this site started from as Powder Magazines forum before it went to TGR.

Of you go to Powder's page and check out the Gear Locker, they don't even have this years gear up. If I was a paid advertiser and I paid them for the honor of getting an award, I would be pissed.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Well, Time Inc. doesn't exist anymore, hasn't for a few years. The largest magazine publisher, hell, publisher in the world not too long ago. Conde Nast exists mostly on the largess of it's rich family owners.

Print is dead.