Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Seriously, how does an outdoor photographer even make a living anymore?
    be really good ? Mattias Fredrickson is now a local at Shames, i met him at a matchstick productions shoot and complimented him on his work which is truly fine IMO and buddy said " its not me its the lenses that are so good "

I think he was just being humble
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    be really good ? buddy said " its not me its the lenses that are so good "

I think he was just being humble
    perfect resolution still needs to be framed
    embrace the gape
    and believe

Be this good.

https://www.oskarenander.com/portfolio

My favorite photographer by far.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-10-04 at 2.54.37 PM.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	255.0 KB 
ID:	342332

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-10-04 at 2.56.54 PM.png 
Views:	131 
Size:	609.8 KB 
ID:	342333
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

The real money is made from commercial shoots. Editorial is just a way to get exposure and make a little money while doing it. I'd be shocked if there were any action sports photographers out there just making money from editorial.

I do a little bit of freelance writing locally and I make much better money writing advertorials for businesses than I do writing the occasional article for the local magazine.

Meh. Not the slightest bit surprised. Powder started to shit the bed years ago for a lot of reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by AlexC View Post
    The real money is made from commercial shoots. Editorial is just a way to get exposure and make a little money while doing it. I'd be shocked if there were any action sports photographers out there just making money from editorial.

I do a little bit of freelance writing locally and I make much better money writing advertorials for businesses than I do writing the occasional article for the local magazine.
    i got a buddy who has made a bunch of money shooting for the oil industry, soulless shots of tanks and rigs, lotsa money until the oil industry tanked, he did say he wished he took the business admin type courses instead of the art & photog courses

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light."

This bears repeating:
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Then there’s the corporate takeovers.
    Liked this quote from Casimiro:

Men’s Journal. Is this really what you want from your outdoor media—a firehose of pandering, listicles, lowest-common denominator pap, and nakedly commercial gear roundups designed to get you to click on affiliate links? Magazines like Men’s Journal exist only to enrich their CEOs and shareholders; rather than enrich the culture they purport to serve, they treat it as a commodity from which to scrape their profits.

Film. Motion

No idea. Every year for the last two decades I have had no idea how it’s all going to work out, yet each year is better than the previous one. All I know is that as long as I keep producing images that motivate people to go skiing it will all work out.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    “Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light."
    Nice.

Too bad...l I bought an issue yesterday, had a subscription for a couple of years and also have one for Bike.

I’ve tried the digital versions on my iPad Pro and it just isn’t the same. Something very relaxing about just sitting on the couch with a beer reading a ski or bike mag, it fires up the imagination and soul but that’s just me.

yeah a great quote ^^

I think " it " will all carry on somehow, someway, something

what are we gona read now while sitting on the shitter ?

TGR, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    what are we gona read now while sitting on the shitter ?
    I was asking this about the new Ski Magazine Buyers Guide. They used to be 300 pages and it would take 3-4 shits to get through it, the new one you can read is a good solid piss.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    I blame Daniel.
    Ha!

Damn,,, I just got an issue in the mail, it is definitely a signal that pow is just around the corner. It has been my stimulus to get out ski gear, let my garage fill with the wonderful perfume that is P-tex and fresh wax...

Thankgoodness we still have SkiJournal. Everyone should go sign up for that one now before we lose all our printed media.. Damn Millenials.. fucking up another institution..

I found the last printed issue of Autoweek in the gym last year, which I found more upsetting. I subscribed to that thing when it was a tabloid paper, like Rolling Stone.

Have tits and a big ass in a thong, go to outdoor area with a selfie stick, post on Instagram and tik tok make more
    Money in a day than the greats in powder ever made in a lifetime.
    Have you seen what passes for fishing photos these days.
    Just read an article about 16 year tik tok “stars” make 5-6million a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Powder Mag is Done

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    Have tits and a big ass in a thong, go to outdoor area with a selfie stick, post on Instagram and tik tok make more money in a day than the greats in powder ever made in a lifetime.

Just one of the reasons the world/society is very screwed up right now.....

Have tits and a big ass in a thong, go to outdoor area with a selfie stick, post on Instagram and tik tok make more
    This
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by Flexon Phil View Post
    I was asking this about the new Ski Magazine Buyers Guide. They used to be 300 pages and it would take 3-4 shits to get through it, the new one you can read is a good solid piss.
    and you don't have to if you seen the companies catalogs because they just copy and paste the description into the buyers guide
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am too much of a Luddite to understand how this tiktok and influencers work. I just can't fathom how that is worth millions

While I haven't had a subscription to Powder for a few seasons, I am, and will likely always be a print person. I switch around what I subscribe to, so Powder is currently out, but Backcountry and Rock and Ice are in. Also subscribe to Wine Enthusiast, and have had a newspaper subscription to the local paper since I left home. Still get the LA Times and read it everyday in print and on the tablet if I am out of town. I also read books on paper. I have tried ereaders several times, but always go back to real books just like Mr Atoz.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    I am too much of a Luddite to understand how this tiktok and influencers work. I just can't fathom how that is worth millions
    The vast majority mobile advertising/influencer world is a giant pyramid scheme, propped up by advertisers paying a tiny commission on app downloads, to get people to download ad laden spyware apps ("candy crush" etc), that run ads to get you to download another/different app loaded with ads and spyware, that get you to download another app, and so on...

Topic at hand - I have been a subscriber of the Ski Journal since the beginning. If I'm going to pay for something, I want it to be durable and feel thoughtful. Ski Journal issues get reread by me often.

Powder over the last 5 or so years has shifted hard to the advertorial model, and felt more and more like Ski Magazine, but for millennial yuppies rather than mid-level business managers.
    It felt like the entire editorial content was designed around someone trying to check boxes for San Francisco dwelling 4x trips to Mammoth a year Audi buying Facebook employees. "You'll never believe that in Montana, they don't all ski with guns. Find out more in this 9 part video series whoring out small town ski culture and areas with a snappy and cute Californian Millennial ex-ski racer blonde from Sun Valley who grew up privileged JUST LIKE YOU!"

Even the SJW stuff, never felt heartfelt. (I can appreciate it, if well done/thoughtful.) Add in the wanton consumerism and increasingly thin page count... go figure.

If you're sad about the loss of Powder mag, support the Ski Journal.