Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Gutted

If it wasn't for Powder Magazine, would there be this site? Is Maggot a derivative of the "mag" of magazine?
    Click. Point. Chute.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i just dont see spending the last 2 1/2 decades in pursuit of and employed in the powder bidness
    without the magazine and mr millers voice in my head
    i wouda just became years older
    put me in the
    i thougt i was sponsered cause they just kept coming
    sometimes with this is your last issue cards
    think whatcha want but i dont and wont spend money on
    sjw ,op ed crap and skiing that aint got shit to do with powder
    nor support such
    and if others didnt agree
    ya wouldnt be dead or on the death bed
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Very sad perhaps someone will buy them and pick up the brand and continue the tradition
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    perhaps someone will buy them and pick up the brand and continue the tradition
    Communal buyout? I put forth 2 beers, one left-handed goretex mitt, and 3 of my famous grilled cheeses
    swing your fucking sword.

Doesn’t help when your “talent” aka photographers and skiers can just publish their own content on Instagram and Facebook daily and for free .
    I like the articles as well so they will be missed, but photos are ubiquitous these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    Doesn’t help when your “talent” aka photographers and skiers can just publish their own content on Instagram and Facebook daily and for free .
    I like the articles as well so they will be missed, but photos are ubiquitous these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    And don't forget this forum, where there is tons of knowledge about equipment and ski hills and all sorts of related stuff accessible for free. I mean, tech talk alone. Where else can you get such info?

Quote Originally Posted by thebear View Post
    Oddly, delivering issues to lapsed subscribers keeps their circulation numbers up and contributes to higher ad rates. Same deal with doctors’ offices — the doctors never pay for subscriptions.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    The business model for most magazine subscriptions was to essentially give most away for free in the heyday of the medium. Remember how cheap Sports Illustrated was, and they gave you a free gift on top of it all? That jacked up eye count, which jacked up ad sales, where they made the real money. Then along came the internet, and ad money went elsewhere.

I don't remember the last time I read a printed magazine.

#iblamerobstory

Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post
    I’ve list track of the hundreds if not thousands of images I had published in the magazine over the years. As a young kid growing up obsessed with skiing Powder was the Bible. There was nothing that I wanted more in life than to become a photographer for Powder. Luck would have it I managed to score an internship there and then eventually became one of the Senior Photographers... A true life dream come true. So it’s with a heavy heart to learn the news of the demise of 3 of the most influential titles ever in the action sports genre. Powder in its hay day was truely a special entity always at the cusp of style, progression and culture. The sheer number of people that worked and interned their over the years that went on to greatness not just in the publishing world is a statement to its domination of print coverage of the ski world.
    Well done. Must be pretty heavy. Best of luck on new adventures.

the last couple years i bought the digital version so i could read on the screen via some app i don’t even remember the name of. i cost very little during black friday and i cannot imagine what it brought them in. print is dead. i didn’t read the app on my subscription more than twice. when there was an article that got attention, like the lady who broke a ‘tech binding’ in cham or wherever i’d just read it on their site. and invariably, that experience was not as great as this forum, where if you are curious about something you can ask questions to the OP and whatever. it’s still very sad. when i was a kid my room was totally wall papered with images from the mags. now i guess kids will make a pinterest? vibes
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Powder mag was a portal to a far away lands as a kid stuck in the midwest. They took you to places you've never heard of, the writing was smart and personable, and the captions were fucking hilarious. My dream was to get a shot of me skiing in it, even though I had never skied powder before, ha. It was a perfect place for Greg Stump to advertise, and probably was a huge market for him. So without it, would Greg Stump have influenced so many of us? Powder changed skiing, it changed lives, all with top notch writing and photos.

I moved out west thanks to Greg and the stories in Powder, and eventually the need for Powder mag diminished. I was going to the places they wrote about, secret places were from word of mouth, and you saw the same locations repeated in the mag, although to give them credit the same locations were shown with fresh or different eyes.

Internet now gives 24/7 content and print ads are way down even beofre COVID, are obvious reasons it was not doing well. Their new bent editorially probably lost old timers but that wasn't what brought the demise. Remember Bike and Surfer folded too. Most likely it's the same old story, they got bought out by a private corp, American Media, who cuts out all small mags to squeeze as much profit out of the industry as possible not giving a fuck about anything else.

American Media was responsible for the catch-and-kill of trump scandals, a playboy model and trumps housekeeper. What do they know or care about skiing, biking, or surfing?

Powder Mag is Done

Has no one blamed Rob Story?

This place is slipping.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Has no one blamed Rob Story?

This place is slipping.

post #62

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    American Media was responsible for the catch-and-kill of trump scandals, a playboy model and trumps housekeeper. What do they know or care about skiing, biking, or surfing?
    This ^.

There is a way to evolve print titles into successful digital properties, but it takes creativity and *additional investment*. The bottom-feeders at AMI lacked the vision and, yeah, just don’t give a shit.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Flexon Phil View Post
    If it wasn't for Powder Magazine, would there be this site? Is Maggot a derivative of the "mag" of magazine?
    Well TGR's board existed before powdermag.com went down so it's hard to say for sure on your first question. Probably not, though. Yes to your second question. Powdermag ->maggots. The name "Maggots" for the collective was coined at powmag before this place existed.

This is a sad day. I have a bunch of old POWDER magazines up in the attic, starting in the late 70's. Here is the first photo I got published in POWDER.Name:  94567845_10221036863945197_8199150825000402944_o.jpg
Views: 1457
Size:  73.0 KB
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

I believe K2 Ski Chat the predecessor to Powdermag.

If I recall correctly K2 didn't want to deal with it due to liability as threats between posters were becoming real, there may have even been restraining orders. That place was the wild west compared to this place.

^ that was just before my time and i thought it was alt.skiing

i popped my online ski cherry at ttips in '99 - Linken step in tele bindings - boo ya

Quote Originally Posted by Coño Frío View Post
    What’s your take on what what took this franchise down?
    For starters:
    Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    And don't forget this forum, where there is tons of knowledge about equipment and ski hills and all sorts of related stuff accessible for free. I mean, tech talk alone. Where else can you get such info?
    Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Internet now gives 24/7 content and print ads are way down even beofre COVID, are obvious reasons it was not doing well. Their new bent editorially probably lost old timers but that wasn't what brought the demise. Remember Bike and Surfer folded too. Most likely it's the same old story, they got bought out by a private corp, American Media, who cuts out all small mags to squeeze as much profit out of the industry as possible not giving a fuck about anything else.
    Then there’s the corporate takeovers.

I haven't bought a powder Mag in decades not for any reason in particular but given the current business climate i am not suprised if its going under, hell I wouldnt be suprised if Better Homes and Gardens went under
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Hard to imagine a kid growing up these days wanting to be a journalist or photographer when it is almost impossible to make a living off it. Quality, edited content is disappearing from human civilization. Most of my friends don't even read the local paper, and when you try to engage them on a community issue they are clueless. People are getting dumb and dumber with no end in sight.

Seriously, how does an outdoor photographer even make a living anymore?

i thought captain powder was witty and well written and when that disappeared I started to lose interest