Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What is Stephan Drake up to?

Does anyone know if Drake is involved in any kind of ski development?
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 10-02-2020 at 12:52 PM.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

If I had to guess, I'd guess he's fighting a non-compete, cease and desist battle with the lead investor at DPS. Sounds like he really got screwed over. That was one thing we were very clear with, with startups: Don't take on an investor just because you're starving for cash. It has to be someone compatible who is supportive of your vision. Sounds like Drake got steamrolled by an overzealous investor who thinks he knows more about the ski industry than Drake. Bad match.

IDK, it's not like it is his first rodeo. He was the lead developer, or something like that for GOODE skis, before he started up DPS. He has been making carbon skis for a long time. Usually, no compete clauses are clear, for a limited period of time, and they are geographically constrained.
    I have no idea what he is up to, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is enjoying the spoils of his hard work.
    BTW: Stephan
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    IDK, it's not like it is his first rodeo. He was the lead developer, or something like that for GOODE skis, before he started up DPS. He has been making carbon skis for a long time. Usually, no compete clauses are clear, for a limited period of time, and they are geographically constrained.
    I have no idea what he is up to, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is enjoying the spoils of the immense wealth he was born into.
    Your first couple of sentences refer to Peter Turner. Stephan was involved with DB skis prior to starting DPS. I also edited your last sentence for accuracy.

I have no idea what he is up to, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is enjoying the spoils of his hard work.
    Right, on the non-compete but not knowing how it reads with a product that is sold everywhere, geographic restrictions seem difficult to define. Also, regardless of what the agreement may read, with the apparent animosity in the break up, I wouldn't be surprised if the investor is pursuing it just to harass him. Some guys can be real dicks about things like that and can tie him up for a long time in court while building on the company and keeping him out of the market, thereby reducing his impact, should he re-enter the ski industry. Hard to know what's going on. AND, I don't, just speculating.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    If I had to guess, I'd guess he's fighting a non-compete, cease and desist battle with the lead investor at DPS. Sounds like he really got screwed over. That was one thing we were very clear with, with startups: Don't take on an investor just because you're starving for cash. It has to be someone compatible who is supportive of your vision. Sounds like Drake got steamrolled by an overzealous investor who thinks he knows more about the ski industry than Drake. Bad match.
    God forbid investors would ever want to see their investment become profitable rather have it be driven into the ground by the illusions of a founder who has never had to make a living off his businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    God forbid investors would ever want to see their investment become profitable rather have it be driven into the ground by the illusions of a founder who has never had to make a living off his businesses.
    Well, that would appear to me to have been a bad investment decision on the investor's part if that were the case. And I don't know, just guessing. But an investor typically prioritizes the leadership and vision of a founder above all else when making that decision. Unless the vision changed or Drake somehow wandered off-path, any investment failure is on the investor.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Stephan was involved with DB skis prior to starting DPS.
    I am talking even before that. For some reason I think that Stephan had a huge relationship with GOODE prior to DB (circa 2003). I think that GOODE actually contributed capital to DB because of that relationship.
    Anyway, I am sure that there are people here who know a lot more than me. Marshall would almost certainly know.....maybe soul skier
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    But an investor typically prioritizes the leadership and vision of a founder above all else when making that decision. Unless the vision changed or Drake somehow wandered off-path, any investment failure is on the investor.
    Not in the outdoor industry. I agree with your last sentence.

I am talking even before that. For some reason I think that Stephan had a huge relationship with GOODE prior to DB (circa 2003). I think that GOODE actually contributed capital to DB because of that relationship.
    Anyway, I am sure that there are people here who know a lot more than me. Marshall would almost certainly know.....maybe soul skier
    I still think you're referring to Peter Turner as the Goode/DB/DPS connection, but I also don't give a fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I still think you're referring to Peter Turner as the Goode/DB/DPS connection, but I also don't give a fuck.
    Me too

At least, we can agree on that

Here.

Regarding Stephan, he did a variety of binding designs for Backcountry Access and VIST (I don't think any came to market following BCA agreeing to distribute the NAXO binding), before db coming out. The db project was brought to Goode for engineering and manufacturing, where Stephan and Peter met (and following Peter's time at Volant, who was folded into Atomic shortly prior). Dave Goode (recently passed), Stephan and Cyrille were 1/3 partners in db. Peter departed from Goode around the same time as db folding. Stephan founded DPS with Peter shortly there after.

What I know is the mad scientist part of Stephan will never turn off, and I don't doubt something new is in the works.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Me too
    Didn't Peter Turner come from Volant?
    https://freeskier.com/stories/peter-...er-volant-skis

I wish I hadn't sold my L138's to Gosey. That twit lost one of them on one of his first days skiing them and to my knowledge, never found it.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I still want a pair of 190 cm bamboo sided lotus 120s.
    ;-)

Thanks man. I appreciate the info.

He was with Hanson ski boots way back.
    Fascinating guy!

Funny, I just talked to Stephen yesterday.
    Click. Point. Chute.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    I still want a pair of 190 cm bamboo sided lotus 120s.
    ;-)
    i have 1 skiable pure black flex3 single
    and i think mo fro or somebody in yur hood has another single
    stop by the shop again sometime MO
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Didn’t know Stephan came from money. Good for him. Instead of just being a trustafarian ski bum, he gave back to the community.

The typical tgr wealth jealousy does not surprise.

Can’t wait for him to break free and create again. Definitely one for the ski hall of fame someday.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Flexon Phil View Post
    Funny, I just talked to Stephen yesterday.
    and.................. what's he up to?

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Didn’t know Stephan came from money. Good for him. Instead of just being a trustafarian ski bum, he gave back to the community.
    Bahahahahaha, hang on, let me catch my breath...hahahahahaha.

At least, we can agree on that
    I mean the Peter Turner part....
    not the douchey part
    Yes, protyped Spatula w/ Shane.
    Powder also has a Shane/PT Spatula evolution story as well.

Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    and.................. what's he up to?
    We're talking and when he is ready to share, we will.
    Click. Point. Chute.