RWGPS vs. Komoot?

I tried to search 'Komoot' but didn't see anything.

I've been using Ride with GPS this season but it doesn't map a lot of class IV roads here in Vermont so you have to use the 'draw lines' function when planning routes. That's not ideal as sometimes there are multiple class IV roads that branch off. Goniff and I would have been hopelessly lost on our last trip had CantDog not had experience through Waitsfield Gap. As a result, I'm shopping around for next season.

Anyone have experience using Komoot in Vermont or New England? All the 'influencers' mention it but they probably get paid just for saying the word.

Strava is also under consideration as I have a basic account and understand they recently upgraded to showing gravel/dirt roads, but I haven't checked if class IV/trails are in that mapping.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I tried to search 'Komoot' but didn't see anything.

I've been using Ride with GPS this season but it doesn't map a lot of class IV roads here in Vermont so you have to use the 'draw lines' function when planning routes. That's not ideal as sometimes there are multiple class IV roads that branch off. Goniff and I would have been hopelessly lost on our last trip had CantDog not had experience through Waitsfield Gap. As a result, I'm shopping around for next season.

Anyone have experience using Komoot in Vermont or New England? All the 'influencers' mention it but they probably get paid just for saying the word.

Strava is also under consideration as I have a basic account and understand they recently upgraded to showing gravel/dirt roads, but I haven't checked if class IV/trails are in that mapping.
    Strava guided me through that section as I essentially roughly followed the heatmap lines the first time. That’s really stravas saving grace. I’ll typically cross reference it with open streetmap. If strava didn’t have the heatmap, I wouldn’t bother with it.

Quote Originally Posted by CantDog View Post
    Strava guided me through that section as I essentially roughly followed the heatmap lines the first time. That’s really stravas saving grace. I’ll typically cross reference it with open streetmap. If strava didn’t have the heatmap, I wouldn’t bother with it.
    Is the subscription necessary for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Is the subscription necessary for this?
    Yep. Mapping is now all on the subscription side. I’ve been curious to try Gaia but haven’t dove in yet.

Gaia is another option people seem to like.

And yeah Komoot does seem like something only influencers use. I've never used it, and don't know anyone else that does. I use RidewithGPS at home for planning but not for navigation while riding. I create a GPX file and import to my garmin.

What are you using for actual navigation? I typically use KMLs of dirt and unmaintained roads in Google Earth, create the track there thn then create a GPX and upload it to my Garmin. NH has the dirt roads available as a KML for download. I had to do a bit more to get the VT versions, but I'd be happy to share.

thanks, geo. sharing is what this forum is all about.

I use RWGPS for creating routes and then download them and use the turn by turn in an earbud while on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by CantDog View Post
    Yes, Strava heatmap is the best source for finding routes around VT. I've been able to find random singletrack and unmarked roads that I'd never see on any other GPS. Definitely worth $60/year.

RWGPS just added a heatmap feature. It shows data from their logged ride library so I can't imagine it's quite as robust as Strava. Heatmap is visible to everyone but you've gotta subscribe to get it as a layer in route building mode.

Me and the lady-half went for Komoot. It was a one-time price of 30 bucks I think. The paid version lets you download topos for offline etc. We use the same account logged into both of our phones, it works at the same time if we're both using it separately.

There seems to be a good amount of user input around here which is helpful when making routes. The social media look on the home page is pretty cheesy, but as far as making routes and exporting .gpx files it works well enough. I wouldn't say it's better than any of the other apps out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbest Known Time View Post
    RWGPS just added a heatmap feature. It shows data from their logged ride library so I can't imagine it's quite as robust as Strava. Heatmap is visible to everyone but you've gotta subscribe to get it as a layer in route building mode.
    Thanks for the heads up. this is good info.