Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 489
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    SEA>DEN>Spokanistan
    Posts
    1,534

    USFS proposed rule to revamp eMTB access (Sept. 2020)

    Damnit #keepgrinchinhisemtbthread

    Stop cluttering up all the other bike threads with your opinions.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Gapper Alley
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    You think that would work?
    Talk about entitlement. ....
    The only "reasonable" forecast is that the added emtb riders will add to advocacy. Cranky old fucks are so entitled they will offer up anything to fire under the bus . Like their rights are the only that matter. A plain and simple exercise in cowardice and entitlement all rolled into a turd soup

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app
    You have actually touched on a point that I had not considered. Boomers are the people who can afford and stand to gain the most by buying eMTBs. They are well know the be the crankiest old fkrs who only care about their own rights, turd soup etc... so they might as well be mobilized by the MTB advocates. It's an interesting thought.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    11,545
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    Damnit #keepgrinchinhisemtbthread

    Stop cluttering up all the other bike threads with your opinions.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gfy. Its a forum. Dont like it dont read it. Makes more sense than the dumbasses forecasting with their entitled feelings. Facts. You should look that up bro

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Magically whisked away to...Delaware
    Posts
    2,824
    Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Even simpler to say no e-bikes on non-motorized trails rather than trying to distinguish between them.
    Thatís sorta where lots of places are now...and howís that workin?


    Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

    I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    11,545
    Although the entitled part would seem to fit your persona. You messaged me asking questions about town/skiing. Answered all your questions as a friendly neighbor would. Changed your plans so figured no need to reply. No reply let alone a thanks. Just at your beck and call bro. #entitled

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    SEA>DEN>Spokanistan
    Posts
    1,534
    Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Gfy. Its a forum. Dont like it dont read it. Makes more sense than the dumbasses forecasting with their entitled feelings. Facts. You should look that up bro

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app
    Giving you shit, I adore your passion!


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    5,518
    riding an ebike* makes you an enormous dork at best, but I really do think if people who ski tour / climb / hike / trail run / cycle / etc could get along better with people who hunt / ride atvs / ride mopeds / etc we would have a louder and more unified voice in favor of keeping public lands public

    how about an #anythingbuthorses group eh?

    *edit: emtb, not ebike... ebikes for commuting (as an alternative to driving, instead of an alternative to exercising, which is what an emtb is ) are obviously fantastic alternatives to cars in many respects

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    SEA>DEN>Spokanistan
    Posts
    1,534
    Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post

    how about an #anythingbuthorses group eh?
    Yeah FUCK horses RAH RAH



    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    852
    Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    riding an ebike makes you an enormous dork at best, but I really do think if people who ski tour / climb / hike / trail run / cycle / etc could get along better with people who hunt / ride atvs / ride mopeds / etc we would have a louder and more unified voice in favor of keeping public lands public

    how about an #anythingbuthorses group eh?
    +100, this. really well put.

    Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    11,545
    Quote Originally Posted by livefreerdie View Post
    You have actually touched on a point that I had not considered. Boomers are the people who can afford and stand to gain the most by buying eMTBs. They are well know the be the crankiest old fkrs who only care about their own rights, turd soup etc... so they might as well be mobilized by the MTB advocates. It's an interesting thought.
    Boomers!? What are you on about. The kids will be all on these. Thats who want them. Right now its split between old fucks, long time mtbers and ex moto guys. Its ok to care about your own rights as long as its not to the exclusion of other peoples rights. Class1 riders arent infringing on anyones fun unless you count the increase in riders. There only 1k -1.5k more than a similar mtb. No need for xtr drivetrain on an eeb so closer to 1k more. Ya theyre great for older people but that is only a fraction. A dwindling fraction. Funfact- im not a dentist.

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    11,545
    Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    riding an ebike makes you an enormous dork at best, but I really do think if people who ski tour / climb / hike / trail run / cycle / etc could get along better with people who hunt / ride atvs / ride mopeds / etc we would have a louder and more unified voice in favor of keeping public lands public

    how about an #anythingbuthorses group eh?
    Nothing against horses here. Nice to see some smokin cowgirls on the trail. To each their own.
    I dont see where you get the "enormous dork" thing. Always a better look to have a dialed bike E or mtb than a mix match of pricey parts on an old bike......with probably a 150mm stem.
    Once again for the bizillionth time. Research bro. I burn more calories and gain more fitness on the eeb. Mtb inheretantly involves intervals. You want to ride trail on an mtb , youre doing intervals. Interval riding requires rest and days off. With the eeb ill ride days on end at endurance pace and put in an interval when i want. I may burn more calories in a day on the mtb but ill end up taking a day or 2 off. In a week on the eeb ill burn more on the emtb than the mtb, not to mention more vert , jumps and turns. I couldnt give af about training but i know it allows me to ride more and increase fitness so i can ride more. I may not gain as much explosive power or climbing speed but im not racing. I could do endurance pace to gain endurance fitness on a road bike but road bikes suck and id rather ride my endurance pace days on dirt and use the mode selector to keep me from interval or sprint zone to avoid burning out. No training schedule, just listen to my legs. Feel like pushing i take the mtb and it ends with some intervals because its mtb. Feel like laps or exploring its the emtb because endurance pace means i can ride long and recover faster to ride the next day. You need to compile the facts before you just throw out your impressions all willy nilly

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    5,518

    USFS proposed rule to revamp eMTB access (Sept. 2020)

    lol dude I donít care at all, ride whatever you want. shit I drive my car around for fun sometimes. BUT you are ridiculously easy to provoke on this issue so apologies if in the course of actually agreeing with you I could not help making fun of you a tiny bit

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    17,163
    Are there E-penny farthing bikes, for the lazy hipsters?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    11,545
    Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    lol dude I donít care at all, ride whatever you want. shit I drive my car around for fun sometimes. BUT you are ridiculously easy to provoke on this issue so apologies if in the course of actually agreeing with you I could not help making fun of you a tiny bit
    Fuck!! Ill give you props for that. It does give me an avenue to put out the facts though. Someone on the E forum said they wouldnt ride such and such bike because the noise of that motor is too much for their hearing. I said i guess i cant ride a haibike because it hurts my already failing eyesight. It has/had a distinctly emtb look/shape/lines. Just joking of course but it kind of did in the early days of learning. Now i see the function as form and there's a certain attractiveness to that form that comes from knowing the function it provides. Theyre toned down now and almost classical understated with the much smaller motors and shaped internal batteries and clean mtb like lines. Im glad theres still a distinct look, albeit less distinct now, because that distinction just says fun day to me. Sounds crazy because you'd have to see the lay up but if i could take someone on an emtb on a few select local trails in the area and end of at rmr bike park it would blow their mind. The park is shaped for emtb use. Almost like the skiing. Its great in bounds but ther's a shit ton of amazing off the gondi backcountry/ob that you can seriously maximize with an emtb. 8k vert of sick trail that you couldnt possibly do in a day without an emtb and getting gondi laps. I could put 3 seperate 6500ft laps in now and next year itll be 5 and still trail left to do

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,106
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    That’s sorta where lots of places are now...and how’s that workin?


    Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Just fine.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    31,847
    Will there even be signage for all these classifications of trails?
    Seems like it'd be a no brainer, but less brains has been quite popular lately.

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    8,800
    Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    riding an ebike* makes you an enormous dork at best, but I really do think if people who ski tour / climb / hike / trail run / cycle / etc could get along better with people who hunt / ride atvs / ride mopeds / etc we would have a louder and more unified voice in favor of keeping public lands public

    how about an #anythingbuthorses group eh?

    *edit: emtb, not ebike... ebikes for commuting (as an alternative to driving, instead of an alternative to exercising, which is what an emtb is ) are obviously fantastic alternatives to cars in many respects
    I hunt out of my backpack and it’s a lot harder than the backpacking or climbing I’ve done. I also BC ski, ride bikes, kayak and raft. The problem with this whole debate is compartmentalizing groups. I know hunters who are equestrians. I know guys who ski and rope. There’s a lot f people who do a lot of things. Forest access is becoming race protests for people with means.

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Fish
    Posts
    3,354
    I am not trying to say ebiking should be banned or anything but itís just not the same sport, if it was they wouldn't exist. I think they are fun and have a place just so thatís clear and some of that place includes were traditional bikes are allowed. Currently I feel like local land managers should make the call, although some are inept a blanket law will only hurt everyone at stake here. There are trails locally that allow bikes but no moto that I think it makes sense to allow them but there are also multi use trails close to town that I think are a bad Idea and would only lead to bikes as a whole being banned.

    Easier access and more users arenít always a good thing, I totally understand the entitled argument, but a line has to be drawn somewhere doesnít it? You may be safe on your ebike but not even all class 1 ebikes are the same, some have unpredictable thrust and an unskilled rider could cause some damage on a heavy bike easily. Just because you can control your ebike that doesnít mean every user can, just because yours is refined and manageable doesnít mean all on the market are, yes these are broad statements that could be extrapolated to traditional bikes but the whole purpose of ebikes is to broaden the access which intern brings in unexperienced riders potentially at speeds they shouldnít be. All I am saying is there isnít a simple answer and in the end its most likely all bikers, ebikers included are going to get screwed if we donít do this in an intelligent and thought out manner.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

    Formerly Rludes025

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    11,545
    Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    I am not trying to say ebiking should be banned or anything but itís just not the same sport, if it was they wouldn't exist. I think they are fun and have a place just so thatís clear and some of that place includes were traditional bikes are allowed. Currently I feel like local land managers should make the call, although some are inept a blanket law will only hurt everyone at stake here. There are trails locally that allow bikes but no moto that I think it makes sense to allow them but there are also multi use trails close to town that I think are a bad Idea and would only lead to bikes as a whole being banned.

    Easier access and more users arenít always a good thing, I totally understand the entitled argument, but a line has to be drawn somewhere doesnít it? You may be safe on your ebike but not even all class 1 ebikes are the same, some have unpredictable thrust and an unskilled rider could cause some damage on a heavy bike easily. Just because you can control your ebike that doesnít mean every user can, just because yours is refined and manageable doesnít mean all on the market are, yes these are broad statements that could be extrapolated to traditional bikes but the whole purpose of ebikes is to broaden the access which intern brings in unexperienced riders potentially at speeds they shouldnít be. All I am saying is there isnít a simple answer and in the end its most likely all bikers, ebikers included are going to get screwed if we donít do this in an intelligent and thought out manner.
    Thats a bunch of nonsense and more forecasting with out any facts to back it up. Call it a different sport if you want but its identical but with a bit of assist. Im always factoring in the difference of speed between mtb and emtb now. 90% of the time on our trails be it xc , steeper more raw backcountry trails the difference in speed only varies 6-8 mph. On logging roads(no roots , rocks, tight corners im adding 8- 14mph depending on steepness.
    The speed is controlled by pushing on the pedals with no throttle. They dont fet away from people. If you could call one second followed by a loss of pedal pressure. Basically a natural safety feature. People dont go running into each other anymore than they would on an mtb. On singletrack 6-8 mph adds up to about 1 sexond in reaction time.
    More users equals more $ for trail associations equals more trails, more local business sponsors for associations and more govt funding plain and simple. Thats been the case thus far. Common sense says there is nothing that says that will change.
    "Unpredictable thrust" ? Give me a break. Thats untrue and pure hyperbole. You only get so much tourque out of 250w and the motors are so refined now that theyre designs are focused on using the existing power regulation cap as intuitively as they can. Its very predictable and seemless. All of them have the first setting as eco. No one starts out in boost unknowingly. If they were inexperienced and did start out in boost, they might get startled for one second. Theyre not going to keep pedaling after theyre startled. The major design focus and feature is theyre super predictable and intuitive. Some more than others but they are all highly predictable.
    Skilled riders go faster and can handle the speed. The unskilled are more cautious. Cant believe i have to type that. Either the skilled or unskilled take their feet off tge pedal and , boom, no assist. Its almost like magic i guess
    If youre going to do it "intelligently and thought out" should you do some actual riding on one in all these scenerios that youre just making up? Its this never ending made up scenerio where the emtb uneducated hear "ebike" and automatically envision a rocket booster strapped on a bike mowing down a pack of g ma's and moms pushing strollers. It just isnt happening. Some of your research might begin by looking in all the other industrialized countries where they function without any rash of injuries. Theyre not lawn darts where you close your eyes without helmets and hope you dont get smoked

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,150
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    If an e-bike rolls through the forest on an illegal trail, and no one is around to enforce the ban, was it even there?

    Kidding, but not kidding.
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Yeah, Grinch will get online and tell everyone about how awesome it was.
    Word

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    14,658
    Im always factoring in the difference of speed between mtb and emtb now. 90% of the time on our trails be it xc , steeper more raw backcountry trails the difference in speed only varies 6-8 mph.
    That estimate if accurate represents 50-70% increase in speed. Keep in mind that you bought that bike to make it easier to climb. I am no Hinault or Armstrong but I enjoy climbing and 6-8 MPH is a very good pace when climbing on "steeper more raw backcountry trails"


    On logging roads(no roots , rocks, tight corners im adding 8- 14mph depending on steepness.
    And on a logging road your estimate is also about 50-70% faster than the average P-biker.

    But that's OK because they have 2 wheels and are really the same.


    Luv ya
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    9,163
    Brevity and paragraph spacing would probably help some people get their point across better.

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    649
    50-70% faster and frequently an inexperienced user. What could go wrong?

    Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    9,833
    Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Brevity and paragraph spacing would probably help some people get their point across better.
    Grinch needs 50-70% more words to get his point across.

    Maybe if you added a bunch more words, your point would be better too. You should try it.

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    9,163
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Grinch needs 50-70% more words to get his point across.

    Maybe if you added a bunch more words, your point would be better too. You should try it.
    TLDR

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •