Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New BSL, forward of line now

Swapped from my bucket sized Panterra 120's to nice and tight Lange XT3 140s. BSL has dropped 5mm. Now that I'm forward of the line a smudge, should I consider remounting or finally swapping from attacks to pivots? (skis are Moment cats, Kartel 108 and Kartel 96s.

Do you honestly think you'll be able to tell the difference in a 2.5mm change in balance point?

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Do you honestly think you'll be able to tell the difference in a 2.5mm change in balance point?
    I agree with this. If your boots still fit, which they should with attacks adjustment, take em out and ride them before you make any decision.

Forward of line is what all the Kool kids do anyway

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

FIFY: Do you honestly think your ski tech was able able to originally line up the jig up within 2.5mm of the mount point line?

You know what they say about too much reading and not enough skiing. Thanks man. I'll ski it and worry less

Followup question: Can I just push the tab in and reset forward pressure or should I get a whole calibration?

Quote Originally Posted by AZskibum View Post
    YCan I just push the tab in and reset forward pressure or should I get a whole calibration?
    Don't push "in" or "down" - it will be an exercise in frustration. Put a flathead screwdriver under the tab and twist it to raise it, then set the binding where you want it on the track. There are six sets of lines marking the acceptable limits of forward pressure, you want to be somewhere within the lines (preferably in the middle).

What do you mean by a "whole calibration?" If you want to know for sure if your binding releases reliably at your chosen values, you need to go to a shop with appropriate equipment. Simply re-adjusting the heel position to give you proper forward pressure shouldn't itself change those values, but a new and smoother boot sole (or a significantly shorter BSL) might.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    FIFY: Do you honestly think your ski tech was able able to originally line up the jig up within 2.5mm of the mount point line?
    Lol fact

You'll notice much, much more difference between various boots' stances (ramp angle) than a 2.5mm shift.

Quote Originally Posted by Cozzey View Post
    I agree with this. If your boots still fit, which they should with attacks adjustment, take em out and ride them before you make any decision.
    NO! With a 5mm BSL change (or any boot change for this matter), check your forward pressure. Is It really that complicated to inspect your setup?

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Switch to the road.

I just did remount for a bud who had hit a rock and lost the vertical toe piece in early pow ,he had to walk out & go looking for it in the spring when the snow had melted, before the brush got high

With his blessing I just injected the area with slowset, mounted the toe piece back 1/2" and called er good, left the other ski as is, so they will be unequal, it will be interesting to see if he notices a difference

I doubt it
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Truth...I have 2 different sized feet and have a pair of boots that are 2 different sizes. I set the mount point between the 2 BSLs so I can switch left and right skis every other season. So the left one is 2.5 forward and right one is 2.5 back and I've never noticed the difference.

PSA--don't assume because the BSL on your new boots is the same as the old that the forward pressure will be the same--based on one experience where they weren't.
    And definitely don't rely on the BSL markings on demo bindings--a good starting point but that is all.
    Oh, and while we're at it, don't trust the tech in a boot specialty shop to readjust your bindings for new boots. also based on one experience.

https://www.dynafit.com/tlt8-expedit...00012&c=516550

Dynafit publish the Boot size in Mondo/ EU/ US/ UK, big AND they give you the BSL which would be pretty handy if you are wondering if a boot will fit in a binding mount you own especialy if its a non adjustable heel piece
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    QFT!

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Dynafit publish the Boot size in Mondo/ EU/ US/ UK, big AND they give you the BSL which would be pretty handy if you are wondering if a boot will fit in a binding mount you own especialy if its a non adjustable heel piece
    evo tracks most common boot sole lengths here, but be aware there can be slight "ISO-conforming" variations in heel height and the numbers on the side of your heel aren't always correct:

https://www.evo.com/guides/ski-boot-...gth-size-chart

Edit to add: Also, there are variations in toe pin placement with tech boots, and many light touring boots have non-ISO 9523 conforming soles, so you really need to put the boot in the binding to know for sure . . .
    Last edited by gregL; 10-04-2020 at 10:34 AM.

Name:  D170E97C-7FA4-49C6-8B38-D00D3CB9A470.jpeg
Views: 1036
Size:  92.1 KB

Don’t assume that bc the BSL is listed as different on the boots that they are what they say that are....
    Last edited by iriponsnow; 10-05-2020 at 04:16 PM.

What I'm getting here is that it's the wild west for BSLs and stop worrying about it after getting a release test. You guys seem like the peeps to ask, if I remount with some pivots I found cheap, are they flexible in forward pressure enough to cover a 303-310 bsl range? If the XT3 140's are not enough for inbounds days I might add an alpine.

Ok so what I gather is that you were going to change to pivots if you were to far forward, now you are changing to pivots because you found them cheap. Ok so we set that base line that you want to be cool. Now that we have established that.

Beyond that pivots have less adjustment then most other binders. The short answer is yes they could get mounted to take those two sizes. If it were me though I’d do a test mount on a junk ski to make sure it worked before I made Swiss cheese. And make sure the AFD is correct on your super deal pivots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't the lange xt series gripwalk/wtr soles? If you're planning on swapping boots with pivots, you'll definitely want the same soles on both boots as the "adjustment" is a completely different base plate and afd. For example this would not work between the xt and your Pantera.

Next up, the pivot has a total bsl adjustment of 7mm. That's not each way, that's total. Running them at either end of the range has been known to lead to bad things, especially if you burn the wrong incense or sft when setting up forward pressure.

TBH this thread makes me think pivots and multiple boots are not recommended for you.

Careful, your skis will explode and you might die

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    Next up, the pivot has a total bsl adjustment of 7mm. That's not each way, that's total. Running them at either end of the range has been known to lead to bad things, especially if you burn the wrong incense or sft when setting up forward pressure.
    This is the key point—I think you’d have get the mount absolutely perfect to the mm to hit the midpoint between the two BSLs, and even if you did, adjusting between boots will be a pain to get the fwd pressure right. Better to just get a binding with more adjustment in the heel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input. I won’t be trying to use the panterras anymore since they were grossly oversized. I picked up the XT3 140as a touring boot for my shift setup, and am hoping I can make that boot work as my only boot. I’m an average sized lightweight, so maybe. My concern about boot swapping was if I ever did get an alpine and had mounted pivots, would I be out of luck without drilling more holes. Sounds like pivots are really constrained to one BSL per mount, and I shouldn’t sweat my decision to put attacks on my quiver.

If you don't know how to check forward pressure, you should go to a shop. Also, the thing that gab said about stance x1000.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Edit to add: Also, there are variations in toe pin placement with tech boots, and many light touring boots have non-ISO 9523 conforming soles, so you really need to put the boot in the binding to know for sure . . .
    A toe pin placement example ... the toe fittings on my previous generation mango Maestrales were 15mm behind the front of the toe. On my Zero Vs, it's 10mm.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music