Alpha AR or Beta AR for touring

I'm in need of a new shell and have narrowed it down to the Alpha and Beta ARs from Acr'teryx. My previous shell from BD fit well around the shoulders and midsection but rode up on my waist while riding. Has anyone had this experience with either of the aforementioned jackets? Additionally, if who anyone has used both jackets and prefers one over the other could elaborate on why, that would be great.
    swing your fucking sword.

i've used the alpha FL, beta LT hybrid, and beta AR. of any of those, i like the beta AR the most - good balance of functionality, durability, and weight. i wear a size small and i am 155lbs, 6'. the beta AR is a great piece of kit.

full disclosure, i am now using a Montane Alpine Pro as my touring shell, which i prefer to any of the dead bird layers. functionally that jacket is somewhere between a beta AR and a beta SV, with a slightly longer torso and really useful pocket layout (and 40D gore pro everywhere).

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    full disclosure, i am now using a Montane Alpine Pro as my touring shell, which i prefer to any of the dead bird layers. functionally that jacket is somewhere between a beta AR and a beta SV, with a slightly longer torso and really useful pocket layout (and 40D gore pro everywhere).
    Yeah, I have always been keen on the Montane stuff but never actually bought anything. I am primarily using this jacket for mountain rescue and my team wears primarily Arc' stuff. Also everything else I own is Arc'teryx and I am continually impressed by their quality but the prices are getting out of hand. Everything I buy from them is either used or with a pro deal but otherwise, even with their outlet stuff, i dont know that i could drop that kind of cash.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    Yeah, I have always been keen on the Montane stuff but never actually bought anything. I am primarily using this jacket for mountain rescue and my team wears primarily Arc' stuff. Also everything else I own is Arc'teryx and I am continually impressed by their quality but the prices are getting out of hand. Everything I buy from them is either used or with a pro deal but otherwise, even with their outlet stuff, i dont know that i could drop that kind of cash.
    yep - arcy makes really good stuff, no doubt, and if you're getting it at 75% off or whatever, it's certainly worthwhile. my pick is the beta AR (rarely do i think the 80d in the alpha series is worthwhile, heavier fabrics tend to breath more poorly) - plus, i prefer an internal napolean pocket to the alpha ar's external. unless you need the absolute durability of the 80d face fabric, the beta AR makes sense to me.

Keep it lightweight and breathable: OR Interstellar.

I've worn the Beta AR as essentially my only shell for several years. I don't particularly like the chest pockets set to the outside. I had an Apha SV several years ago and preferred the pocket layout but I didn't like the shorter hem length (looks like that has changed since then.)

New coat is the Patagucci Powslayer... longer hem, more pockets, taller/roomier collar, 40d Gore Pro, lifetime warranty w/ excellent domestic support, etc.

For touring only, I'd be looking for Polartec Neoshell. I had a mountain equipment neoshell and if it wasn't for the euro fit and shitty zippers, I'd still own it.

I bought a full price beta Ar in 1995 before I hiked the AT and wore it till it's nuts were raisins. I donated it to Micol for a first gen specimin. It was replaced by them by another, which I also wore till the grape produced wine. It was also replaced by its vintor (yes, they were so impressed by my connection to that garment that they sent it back) by another Beta, which I haven't killed yet. That is 25 years of Beta testing. As much as I love Michael, and may or maybe not be his dentist, I can't and won't swear enough about that shell. It has been to hell and back. I'm not joking, from massive alpine climbs and bivis to thousands of ski days, to everything.

I use the alpha LT as my summer lightweight rig, still can't say enough. It's lighter, doesn't have pit zips, but gets it done during hiking season and hunting season. (Blaze Orange, good for photos, but I'm not a slut).

Specific questions, blast away. I have decades on their real shit. It fucking is the bomb, and I put my life on it. When shit gets real and I throw that on, I know I have at least a bomber outer, and think about the shit that really matters until I can get some insulation, but I am going into the full force of a blast, whatever that may be.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    if you're getting it at 75% off or whatever, it's certainly worthwhile.
    try 40%. Don't get me wrong, any discount is great but the pro deal savings used to be much better. To make it worse, that 40% discount is only offered on full price items; no outlet, no sale. essentially, it is just exclusive access to a secondary outlet website.

The Beta series used to have a different collar/hood and shorter hem than the alpha series, and not have a high collar or fit a helmet nicely (Beta series wasn't designed for climbing, Alpha is). I have an Alpha AR from a few years ago and I resort skied an austral winter in it. It worked fine but the front hem isn't particularly long (6'2", wearing a size L). I reserve it for ice climbing now but living in Idaho I almost never wear it (not sure I wore it at all last winter?). Instead I tour in an Arc' Squamish hoody, does everything I need in this climate and only wear GTX for resort skiing where breathability doesn't really matter. If I had to do it over I would get the Alpha LT to eliminate the pit zips and get a slightly trimmer fit.