Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Are Yeti coolers worth it?

Looks like I'm carrying a lot of food back and forth this winter, boycotting bars and restaurants. Is the Yeti good? Any other brand?

Got one as a gift. Super awesome!
    Would never buy one.

There are cheaper knockoffs that are almost as good and better for the money
    . . .

Been using an RTIC 20 soft cooler for work over the last month. Less than half the price of the equivalent yeti and holds things cold for over 30 hours with just a couple icepacks. I like it alot.

Cabelas. I have four yetis and then I bought the cabelas. I have two flips, a roadie, and a 45. I have a 60 cabelas and it’s the same price as the 45 yeti. I think it works better. The handles are better. Honestly it’s all about keeping the cooler cold before you put stuff in it.

If you are going to a smaller one the flips are awesome. I have the small one and the big one. I never use the roadie. It’s too small internally for the external size and the flips work just as well as the roadie and they are more convenient

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Been using an RTIC 20 soft cooler for work over the last month. Less than half the price of the equivalent yeti and holds things cold for over 30 hours with just a couple icepacks. I like it alot.
    And my brother has the RTIC and it’s definitely comparable to all the others. NW is 100% right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a couple, and think that it is 99.9% hype. One day, I am going to stick a block of ice in my Coleman and a block of ice in my similar sized YETI and determine whether there is a difference. I can say this. In the middle of August, I placed a large bag of crushed ice in my YETI, filled it with food and went on a road trip. 24 hrs later, 3/4 of the ice melted and had to be replenished.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

In winter? Any cooler works in your trunk.

i tested this recently when we lost power during the windstorm/fires shitshow
    20# of ice in each cooler to preserve refrigerator/freezer items
    the coleman extreme did poorly relative to the rtic of the similar volume (+/- 65qt)
    no chance to pre-cool them, just straight into use from the garage
    it wasn't even close
    luckily power came back prior to food issues

RTIC. Got one last summer for road trippin. Went sea kayaking for four days and came back to the hot car and the cooler was still cold. I'm not sure what about a yeti would justify the extra cost.

Pretty sure there is another thread here where people listed some even cheaper alternatives.

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app

The Pure Outdoor coolers on Monoprice seem pretty legit: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15640

The main issue is there's no tweener size between 50 L and 80 L.

No. They aren’t worth it.

Unless you need the sticker for your Thule box.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

+1 for RTIC

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    I have a couple, and think that it is 99.9% hype. One day, I am going to stick a block of ice in my Coleman and a block of ice in my similar sized YETI and determine whether there is a difference. I can say this. In the middle of August, I placed a large bag of crushed ice in my YETI, filled it with food and went on a road trip. 24 hrs later, 3/4 of the ice melted and had to be replenished.
    The block is yur friend
    Cubes not so much
    And hold your breath when the lids open
    Mine are well worth what I paid for them
    But like a paco pad or any other well made high dollar item if you use the shit outta them and they take the abuse they're worth it
    The 105 has been my boat front seat and casting platform for about 10 years now
    And they're weren't as many quality rotomolded options then especially in that taller vrs longer size
    I've replaced the rubber latches but the gasket and everything else is fine
    I'd never pay that much or bother with the snap on seat cover but it was a nice xmass gift and has worn better than I thought it would
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

If you can afford them now, Yetis are legit. I picked up one many years ago, not long after they gained a wider distribution. The coupon I had for a local hardware store made the cost of entry sting a bit more. If I were buying new now, I'd look at the other options as they present a much better value.

That said, my Yeti has lived a hard life and it is a burly (and heavy) cooler. It's a lifetime, cry-once purchase.

Are Yeti coolers worth it?

Just got a 35q tundra, we sell Yeti in our stores so didn’t pay retail. Agreed that cubes blow. Have it and a small 12v fridge in my van. Fridge gets food, cooler gets beverages. Anyone like the freezer pack/ice combo program?
    Last edited by ticketchecker; 10-01-2020 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    In winter? Any cooler works in your trunk.
    This. What kind of a dumbass is worried about keeping food cold in the winter between CT and VT?

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Just got a 35q tundra, agreed that cubes blow. Have it and a small 12v fridge in my van. Fridge gets food, cooler gets beverages. Anyone like the freezer pack/ice combo program?
    I've not yet tried it, but the pro move I hear is either a big, solid block of ice in the bottom of a pre-cooled cooler. The other pro move I hear is block(s) of dry-ice wrapped in wet towels as to not burn any items touching the dry ice.

The rafter maggots will likely know the cool kid recipe for extra mega cold Yetis.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    This. What kind of a dumbass is worried about keeping food cold in the winter between CT and VT?
    Never fucking fails. I will rejoice in not meeting Vermont dirtbags in bars.

A dumbass who will be spending two nights and may want to leave the cooler in the car.

Also, does this thing prevent freezing during super cold nights?

Just used an RTIC for our trip to Yellowstone last week, (borrowed from a friend to check it out), since restaurants are closed in the park, and we stayed in no-fridge cabins. They work well. skifishbum is right, but now there are lots o' competitors, so I'll prolly get an RTIC or Tundra or other similar. Lots and lots of reviews online, and any of the new competitors seem to work pretty similar.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    The rafter maggots will likely know the cool kid recipe for extra mega cold Yetis.
    It's all in the pre-cooling and not opening it every 15 seconds.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Never fucking fails. I will rejoice in not meeting Vermont dirtbags in bars.

A dumbass who will be spending two nights and may want to leave the cooler in the car.

Your regular room at the Rodeway Inn in Rutland doesn’t have a mini-fridge?

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I use an Orca cooler. Same as Yeti and RTIC.

They are all the same, cooler management practices are the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Lol

Thermodynamics biatch
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Your regular room at the Rodeway Inn in Rutland doesn’t have a mini-fridge?
    Bunz is skiing Huntah this winter, should get 15-20 days in.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime