Pisgah Nov 3rd-6th

Anyone going to be up (Down?) that way? Riding at Dupont and Pisgah. Staying just up the rd from The Hub.
    Looking for some long rides out of Dupont that are a lot of climbing, but not super technical on the DH.
    Last edited by warthog; 09-28-2020 at 03:14 PM.

Pisgah Nov 3rd-6th

On MTB Project, Best of DuPont covers the East side. It’s fun, a little tedious. Most Excellent cover the west side which is much more interesting, IMO. There’s also a best of Burnt Mtn that’s shorter and covers some cool terrain. Nothing at DuPont is super technical, but the stuff to the west is generally more technical.

jm2e’s compendium is worth a read. Lower Black Mountain is pretty tame for Pisgah and is worth considering.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...48#post5146248
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Thanks for the link... I've never paid much attention to the area being so far away but may have the chance to visit next year. Does it shut down at some point over the winter til spring?

Thanks Bags. That is what I was looking for. I saw those 2 rides on MTB Project. We did it last year. No idea where we were. East I think. Flowiest single track DH I have ever been on. Thankfully not too technical, since the gummies kicked in about 1/3 of the way down. I just remember flying down banked turns and thinking about god knows what, totally daydreaming. Then realizing I was going mach looney with the hugest grin on my face. It was one of the more fun downhills ever, but not technical at all, impairment aside.

Pisgah is my favorite, but I usually take the DH with way too much confidence. Got smacked down last year. Bike was slightly long for me. Full right side bruise. Lucky I didn't break anything. Aired off the top of a wet bridge and washed the front tire out on landing. I was on the ground before I knew what had happened. I think I will dial it back a notch this year. Though they did have the medium Bronson at The Hub so I reserved it. Last time I rode that bike it felt like it was part of me. Very dangerous how comfortable I am on that thing.

We are looking for some longer rides this time. I think we are going to try the Pilot Cove ride since we will have 2 vehicles to shuttle with. We are staying at Pilot Cove, in the cabins, so that will be our end point. Pretty cool spot- fire pits on the decks, and their own flow track. Friend of a friend owns the place. Easy drunken bike ride up the hill from The Hub.

Evdog- One of my buddies is coming out from Sandy for the 2nd year in a row. He liked the riding that much last year.

I think some of the campgrounds shut down or reduce capacity and there’s some seasonal stuff that closes, but Brevard is a big enough town with enough tourist action that most stuff operates year round. COVID could be a factor.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Just read Jm2e's write up. Ridgeline is the one I spaced out on. Gotta hit that again. Did Big Rock too.
    I think Black Mtn is where we have gone. We ride up the road from The Hub and take a right instead of going into the campground. Pretty serious climb to the goods, and then some bomber DH that brings you right back to where you started. We do that and then we do the longer loop that brings you back to the same spot. Looking to mix in a good 18-20 miler this time. I have an XC problem, but I like the enduro/ free ride bikes better. Makes for stronger legs I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    I think some of the campgrounds shut down or reduce capacity and there’s some seasonal stuff that closes, but Brevard is a big enough town with enough tourist action that most stuff operates year round. COVID could be a factor.
    Not getting much of a Covid being an issue vibe. Hoping the Sierra Nevada brewery in Arden is open. That place has some amazing food.

Love what you’re planning to ride. Rode the same stuff a couple times this summer. Lower black and sycamore up from the Hub is fun and I think what you’re describing. Ridgeline is amazing in DuPont. There is a bigger loop of DuPont that lets you hit the fun stuff on the west side (big rock, cedar rock, burnt mountain, mine mountain, and airstrip trail) then head over time to the east side for Ridgeline (I also like the hickory mountain loop just above ridgeline, not as flowy, little more technical, but you can basically do it and ridgeline for a long downhill.) also, not sure if you are into sight seeing, but DuPont has a lot of waterfalls you can see as you make that loop. If you do all that it will be around a 20 mile loop.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

FYI, don't miss Trace Ridge, Spencer Gap and Fletcher Creek in Mills River (Pisgah). You do the same climb twice, but it's pretty easy and so worth it. Trace Ridge is high-speed old school tech, and Spencer Gap has a ton of berms, kickers and drops. If you do both loops, it's about 20 miles and 3000+ climbing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brevard-Day1-8.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	341961

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_W5A3936.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	3.35 MB 
ID:	341962