TR Tasman Glacier New Zealand

I've been trying to get the people together to do a trip up the Tasman Glacier for a few years now. Access to this is getting harder and harder by foot with the glacial retreat. I've been mountaineering up that way in the summer and the walk out along the moraines is dangerous and hard.

One upside to NZ residents with COVID is that helicopters are really cheap now that no tourists are here. Once you are at the top of the glacier there are two huts to choose from and then an almost infinite number of routes and lines await, for all levels. We had surprisingly good powder conditions (for NZ!). We had to come out a bit early due to weather, but I can't wait to go back.

Well that was a lovely pre-season vid. Thanks for posting, looks amazing there. Starting to snow up high here so timing was nice!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Thanks, no Northern Hemisphere trip for me this year so I'm keen to live through other peoples vids this (northern) winter.

Do the choppers shuttle people up to some of the mtns so you can ski back down to the glacier and do laps?

Not in Mt Cook National Park as there are strict conditions to their permits to fly and they can only land in certain areas. It is the same in most National Parks in NZ, however there are plenty of areas which are pretty much as good as the National Parks where they can land pretty much anywhere. The Harris mountains are a good example and the heli ski companies pretty much drop you off on the summits.

Nicely done. When I saw the pics from my expat Irish buddy Eimaer from her trip a few years back, I put Mt. Cook on my TDL. Not sure if it'll ever get crossed off, but my previous NZ ski trip experiences will always be among my favorite memories.

arohanui kia kaha

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Do the choppers shuttle people up to some of the mtns so you can ski back down to the glacier and do laps?
    I did this on the Fox glacier. Got dropped off around 8. We skinned/skied until 3 pm, got picked up at an arranged spot. Guessing that was in 2002. Goddamn it was cheap, since no guide involved

Incredible mate. Thanks for the vid. Only getting me more and more anxious

RAD

Glacier ski

Is there concern for falling in a crevasse, like with other glaciers (Mont Blanc is famous for them)?