Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Help choosing heli op... Silverton or....?

Silverton terrain is many things , but it’s not low angle - LOL
    Last edited by hatchgreenchile; 10-01-2020 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    The north cascades are continental?

Who knew?
    I mean, maybe out towards Hart's Pass you could argue it's more of an intermountain snowpack? Albeit a deep and stable one?

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I mean, maybe out towards Hart's Pass you could argue it's more of an intermountain snowpack? Albeit a deep and stable one?
    I think that'd be pushing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    This would be like a 4 day trip and just wondering what other places might be less of a trip from a major airport?
    CPG is 45 minutes from Anchorage. And it's AK! And there's cat and lift options at Alyeska.
    There's a heli operation out of Juneau as well, I think? Also AK!

Since you plan a short trip, consider standby or last minute booking. If you have work flexibility, it costs a few extra bucks for last minute airfare, but you gain the ability to guarantee weather and conditions (and pandemics). No worry getting stuck with drinking weather for 6 days on a 4 day trip.

I have no tips for getting in the right group. Maybe e.g. Silverton can assess your skills on a lift guided run? Most places won't know you.

Thanks for all of the replies! Yes waiting a year would be great but this guy wants to go this year. I don't want to blow my wad on an iffy year (covid-wise) so I think we are going to silverton. flights to durango are super cheap. I will probably heli one and do guided the other days and let him choose if he wants to spend the $1k for more heli days.
    I tour, he doesn't, so we're not touring. He used to ski a ton and comes with me skiing sometimes and is a capable skier and in good physical shape.

Next question: now we want to ski resort a few days before or after and his son and probably my son (teenagers) will come meet us. Originally thought purgatory since it's right at durango. I was there this summer and it looked pretty mellow? say, compared with Alta where I brought my son last year.
    I have an ikon and would like to go to aspen highlands after silverton and fly out of there. i found the cat ride/hike was super fun in the bowl.
    he is saying telluride. I have only been there in the summer. I think either place is going to be go skiing and go back to the room. we're probably not going out to bars/restaurants with covid.
    the other option I was thinking was wolf creek. I have always wanted to check that out.
    driving these places from silverton/durango and I know red mountain pass to aspen can be hairy. I did it at night in the snow when they basically closed the gate behind me on my way up out of ouray. white knuckle!

those deals from silverton are not valid feb/march basically.

we are meeting up this evening to hash out a plan and i can say he and his wife want to pull the trigger on something ASAP
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

I would think you would have to choose either wolf creek or aspen. That is a lot of driving in opposite directions from Silverton. Telluride would fit in easier than Aspen. Like Buster mentioned Albuquerque. Do a Taos, Wolf Creek Silverton trip. Hit the hot springs in Pagosa. Easy scenic driving no traffic. I am in South Fork ski wolf creek. Since you are from far from here I would I would show you around the touring options.
    off your knees Louie

Aspen is a major haul from Silverton in the winter with two passes to cross (although McClure is relatively low and rarely closed). Do Telluride, the Taos/Wolf Creek loop BFD recommended (that sounds great!), or maybe consider Crested Butte.

there's a heli op in telluride or at least there was in the 2000s

https://www.helitrax.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    I would think you would have to choose either wolf creek or aspen. That is a lot of driving in opposite directions from Silverton. Telluride would fit in easier than Aspen. Like Buster mentioned Albuquerque. Do a Taos, Wolf Creek Silverton trip. Hit the hot springs in Pagosa. Easy scenic driving no traffic. I am in South Fork ski wolf creek. Since you are from far from here I would I would show you around the touring options.
    Isn't this season projected to be a La Nina pattern?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    Next question: now we want to ski resort a few days before or after and his son and probably my son (teenagers) will come meet us. Originally thought purgatory since it's right at durango. I was there this summer and it looked pretty mellow? say, compared with Alta where I brought my son last year.
    I have an ikon and would like to go to aspen highlands after silverton and fly out of there. i found the cat ride/hike was super fun in the bowl.
    he is saying telluride. I have only been there in the summer. I think either place is going to be go skiing and go back to the room. we're probably not going out to bars/restaurants with covid.
    the other option I was thinking was wolf creek. I have always wanted to check that out.
    driving these places from silverton/durango and I know red mountain pass to aspen can be hairy. I did it at night in the snow when they basically closed the gate behind me on my way up out of ouray. white knuckle!

those deals from silverton are not valid feb/march basically.

we are meeting up this evening to hash out a plan and i can say he and his wife want to pull the trigger on something ASAP
    Purg is ok, but it's really limited for steeper and more interesting skiing.

For ease of access, variety and steeps, I'd really recommend Telluride which is 2 hours from Silverton. The Victorian is still one of the best options with kitchenettes available and Baked In Telluride an easy walk 4 block for take out. A good place to warm up and can get there going over Lizard Head Pass from Durango.

Aspen is great but more like 4+ hour drive from Silverton.

You really should consider Albuquerque as a flight hub. We've had a bit of experience flying in with a family and friends over the last 15 years and it was by far the best combo of minimal expense and ease with a lot of direct flights and cheaper car rental. Plus the Taos option. The connecting flights to Durango, Grand Junction or Montrose are erratic (recheduling) and expensive and rental cars are a shaft.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Telluride, Crested Butte, and Aspen all have excellent skiing. Silverton is remote and getting pretty much anywhere from Silverton is a bit of a thing, but all of those are within striking distance.
    Of the three, I prefer Crested Butte as I love the steep, technical terrain there, but others might like Aspen or Telluride better.
    I've had a lot of great days at Wolf Creek, but it wouldn't be my recommendation for an out-of-state, pre-planned destination. It's a fun, smallish, locals kind of mountain, with great but very short steep pitches and some long flats in between. It's a little rough for snowboarders.
    Skip Purgatory.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    The north cascades are continental?

Who knew?
    Sorry, i did not read the entire list. Didn't realize that north Cascades were considered too.

But, for the rest, i stand by my opinion.
    Which is that i would not heli ski in a continental climate, us or Canada or himalayas for that matter.

Alaska, yes.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Sorry, i did not read the entire list. Didn't realize that north Cascades were considered too.

But, for the rest, i stand by my opinion.
    Which is that i would not heli ski in a continental climate, us or Canada or himalayas for that matter.

Alaska, yes.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    Silverton Mountain does avalanche control on their tenures, throwing bombs, ski cutting and leveraging skier compaction.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

FYI you'd be the first to go heli skiing in Silverton OR

you will be another year older when you do decide.........

Silverton heli is a great time, if you get a single drop they try and get that in first thing in morning and then hook back up with a group. Usually other single or double droppers. Would recommend 3+ per hatch as it gets you into great terrain cant see from hike zones. Its not only the hike to or the heli that makes Silverton great, the whole experience.

I was going to recommend the cat at Monarch and hit Mirkwood. They, as Steamboat, only renting out full cats this year.

Tride is great trip after, day break on way to soak in Ouray and recover legs. Been skunked with low tide last couple shots at it though which it makes it no better than any other low angle resort.
    Last edited by hawkgt; 10-01-2020 at 11:48 AM.

The right answer is silverton but in Alaska.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

If you've never flown in a heli before be ready to have as much fun with that as with the skiing.

I second the recommendation to go to North Cascades Heli in Mazama. I flew with them and I also flew in the Monashees last winter and both experiences were great (but obviously the Monashees are out this winter). It's expected to be a good winter in the PNW, it's a pretty mellow drive from Seattle to Mazama via Hwy 2, and you have Stevens Pass and Crystal as good options to book end your heli days.

I also recommend the NCH yurt. The terrain around the yurt is a lot of fun and easy to access even if you're new to touring. The NCMG guides know that zone well.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    Talking to a heli op here in Canada ( BC interior) .. they are on the fence if they are even gonna operate this year, as the bulk of the clientele is American.
    Not surprising. Some of the huts aren't going to operate either from what I am told. We had an SME trip in April, bumped it to February 2021, and got the call two weeks ago offering all our money back if we free up our week. Trying to fill it with Canadians. No Americans or euros this year. AK heli it is for us....

Gonna be tough for the Can operators for sure. Sadly
    I'll throw in another thumbs up for Silverton CO heli. Great op, terrain, value and can fall back on the mtn if heli can't fly. We had to do that one day
    And adding a couple Telluride days is great and pretty straight forward to get to
    I've done a couple Can heli days. Was also great, but low clouds kept us mostly in the trees. That's more the risk in the lower elevation spots
    I'm a big fan of having some fall back if heli can't fly. Eagle Pass in BC has a non-lodge option so you can divert to Revy resort if heli can't fly

I think you should storm chase. I went T-ride last year becase a friend from yrup was there. Bony sketchy and my home resort got a foot. We wound up backcountry due to conditions.