Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Sober October

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    i could be wildly off-base, but i feel like one drink in the evenings, most days, isn't an egregious offense (riser's pontificating aside).
    I would agree, and I say that as someone who rarely drinks, but loves good booze of all varieties and would love to drink more but doesn't solely because alcohol makes me feel terrible. There is one caveat--in Why We Sleep Matthew Walker talks about sleep and alcohol extensively. Surprisingly small amounts of alcohol disrupt your normal sleep cycle and are particularly effective at blocking your brain from entering REM sleep. I'd try to drink as far away from bed time as possible and try to stop at one drink when drinking in the evening. Day drinking is less problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I would agree, and I say that as someone who rarely drinks, but loves good booze of all varieties and would love to drink more but doesn't solely because alcohol makes me feel terrible. There is one caveat--in Why We Sleep Matthew Walker talks about sleep and alcohol extensively. Surprisingly small amounts of alcohol disrupt your normal sleep cycle and are particularly effective at blocking your brain from entering REM sleep. I'd try to drink as far away from bed time as possible and try to stop at one drink when drinking in the evening. Day drinking is less problematic.
    ^^ great point about sleep. i've been trying to sleep-hack for the past 6 months, with limited screentime strategies, mouth taping, earplugs, no cannabis after 6pm, etc - and all of that has helped me considerably. alcohol, however, is such a staple around meal time or immediately thereafter that it's hard to put a kibosh on. obviously i go to bed sober, but drinking is such a natural wind-down ritual for me.

That wind down ritual is ingrained in us since childhood. The alcohol industry is based around this. If you feel the need to have a drink around 5:00 everyday, yeah, they got you just where they want you. Life is way more simple without it. Like way more.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    ^^ really looking forward to other opinions/insights here, i'm very much in the same boat alcohol-wise as GM. i drink somewhere around 8-12 cocktails a week, rarely more than 2 at time. don't drink to get drunk, just for the flavor. no stress drinking/worrisome habits, either.
    Out of curiosity, how closely do you measure your cocktails? Free pour or do you use a jigger? How much booze goes into one cocktail?

Not trying to be too pedantic, but one of my pitfalls with cocktails is that I tend to pour them on the strong side, and that "one cocktail" may actually have 3-4 shots in it. Which is part of the reason I'm almost exclusively a beer drinker, the primary reason being that there are 12 lifetimes worth of amazing beer being brewed right now.

If we're sharing all of our vices, then I also consume about a liter of drip coffee every day, but don't consume any caffeine after 8:00am, and I smoke about 1 gram of cannabis (flower, not concentrate) on a daily basis.

My mom was on the bottle of wine per day program for most of my childhood and adolescence. Where exactly the line lies between responsible drinking and heavy drinking varies from person to person, but I can say that crossed the line in my experience. Particularly the 1.5L bottle nights.

Meh - my old man is 85 and drinks scotch like water. I’m pretty sure my genes are okay with a beer or two daily and an over-indulgence a few times a year.

Everything in moderation...
    including moderation.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I smoke about 1 gram of cannabis (flower, not concentrate) on a daily basis.
    Since I assume that's not ditch weed...holy fuck. I would be comatose.

Sober October

You drink when you ski, you drink when you ride, no problem here.
    Slippery
    crab in my shoe mouth

That's a big huge no
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    I rarely drink. And would never be able to handle 8-12 per week without serious health issues. You guys are a bunch of drunks from where I sit.
    this thread is going off the rails quickly

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    this thread is going off the rails quickly

Fuck. You need to listen to better music. I'm breaking out in hives from that shit

I rarely drink. And would never be able to handle 8-12 per week without serious health issues. You guys are a bunch of drunks from where I sit.
    Pointdexter, how the hell does anyone get drunk averaging 2 drinks a night? That's called a good buzz. 10 percent of Americans drink, supposedly, 70+ drinks a week.

Day drinking is less problematic.
    Last time I had one IPA at 3pm, I was asleep at 4pm. I can't day drink anymore.
    Last edited by muted; 09-28-2020 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Sober doesn't only apply to booze. A month off the doob is good for mind and wallet.
    Uh, weed is cheaper than natty light in WA. The quality is outstanding.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Congrats?
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Weigh the higher quality of sleep without alcohol against getting to sleep earlier and easier with that one drink. Which is better and when? Who knows. I saw you recommend that book in another thread and want to read it because my sleep game is weak.

I drink more than Tgapp and considerably fucking less than MTT, and I’m calling bullshit on the REM therory. Nothing against you Dan, but I have REM on the regular, usually get 8 hours of sleep, can function on 6 or 4 if needed although kinda cranky.

I switched to box wine years ago and feel much better

Because you’re not compelled to finish a bottle, or because you consume a box in a sitting?

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Weigh the higher quality of sleep without alcohol against getting to sleep earlier and easier with that one drink. Which is better and when? Who knows.
    If I remember the book correctly, the science says the former, though I did the audio book so I can't just flip to that section and look it up. Sedation is not sleep. A lot depends on when you drink, how much, and your own genetics. One 12 oz/5% beer at dinner at 6-7 pm probably has little to no effect if you go to bed at 10-11 pm, and people have different genotypes that can drastically influence how quickly you metabolize alcohol and acetaldehyde. The classic "nightcap" right before bed is undoubtedly bad for your sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    I drink more than Tgapp and considerably fucking less than MTT, and I’m calling bullshit on the REM therory. Nothing against you Dan, but I have REM on the regular, usually get 8 hours of sleep, can function on 6 or 4 if needed although kinda cranky.
    It's not a theory. It's established empirical science that has been repeatedly proven experimentally. Your self-assessment of your functionality on 4-6 hours of sleep is entirely unreliable. Your performance on cognitive and physical performance tests will show significant and reliable dose-dependent declines as your amount of sleep decreases. There are also more insidious problems you have no way of perceiving. Your immune system is especially vulnerable--one night with 4 hours of sleep reduces your killer T cell count by 70%.

Night cap or not, I love drinking my 3 fingers of bourbon and watching Netflix before hitting the hay
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I quit for about 2 years a while back. I did sleep better. It was probably the most noticeable impact of hopping on the wagon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Out of curiosity, how closely do you measure your cocktails? Free pour or do you use a jigger? How much booze goes into one cocktail?

Not trying to be too pedantic, but one of my pitfalls with cocktails is that I tend to pour them on the strong side, and that "one cocktail" may actually have 3-4 shots in it. Which is part of the reason I'm almost exclusively a beer drinker, the primary reason being that there are 12 lifetimes worth of amazing beer being brewed right now.

If we're sharing all of our vices, then I also consume about a liter of drip coffee every day, but don't consume any caffeine after 8:00am, and I smoke about 1 gram of cannabis (flower, not concentrate) on a daily basis.

My mom was on the bottle of wine per day program for most of my childhood and adolescence. Where exactly the line lies between responsible drinking and heavy drinking varies from person to person, but I can say that crossed the line in my experience. Particularly the 1.5L bottle nights.

i'm pretty disciplined in my mixing, i only use a jigger, and i already did the mental conversion to units of alcohol in my self-reported drinking. when i say up to 2 cocktails a night, a martini with 3oz is "two cocktails". or - as the theme of the house has lately been tiki, i would count one planter's punch or one zombie as 2 (or even 3) units of alcohol. i try to be honest in my own accounting; after all, there's no cheating, only lying.

for other vices - 1-2 cups of coffee a day, .25g of flower a week (like a snapper bowl every few days), and a reasonable amount of sugar in my diet.

@ Dan they were two different thoughts. I get 8 hours probably 300 days a year. The other 50 I’m probbaly getting up at 4am to ski.

As far as the REM, those studies would mean millions and millions (billions) of people are getting zero REMs for their entire life. Doesn’t sound plausible.
    You’re clearly more of a scientist than I am so maybe I’m not understanding. But I have vivid dreams almost every night whether I drink the preceding evening or not. I thought vivid dreams and REM were tied together.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK11121/
    (Caveat- I didn’t read this whole article skimmed it for dream-rem correlation)

As far as the REM, those studies would mean millions and millions (billions) of people are getting zero REMs for their entire life. Doesn’t sound plausible.
    You’re clearly more of a scientist than I am so maybe I’m not understanding. But I have vivid dreams almost every night whether I drink the preceding evening or not. I thought vivid dreams and REM were tied together.
    Yes, dreams primarily occur during REM sleep, but not all REM sleep is spent dreaming. I didn't mean to suggest that small amounts of alcohol stop all REM sleep. Alcohol inhibits REM sleep in a reliable dose-dependent fashion. At the most extreme end, the delerium tremens hallucinations experienced by alcoholics during withdrawal are literally dreaming while awake. Their REM sleep has been so suppressed by severe chronic alcohol use and the need for REM sleep is so strong that the brain will enter that state while otherwise still awake.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK11121/
    (Caveat- I didn’t read this whole article skimmed it for dream-rem correlation)
    That article is from 2001. There has been a mountain research done since then that has elucidated the function of REM sleep and dreams, and has conclusively shown that all phases of sleep carry out different functions and are very important.

Interesting. Multitasking over here can’t read more currently.

Wow

Who the fuck eats dinner without a glass or two of wine. In my world that is baseline. Wine and beer are part of dinner

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums