Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 232

Thread: Sober October

  1. #76
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    12,797
    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    i could be wildly off-base, but i feel like one drink in the evenings, most days, isn't an egregious offense (riser's pontificating aside).
    I would agree, and I say that as someone who rarely drinks, but loves good booze of all varieties and would love to drink more but doesn't solely because alcohol makes me feel terrible. There is one caveat--in Why We Sleep Matthew Walker talks about sleep and alcohol extensively. Surprisingly small amounts of alcohol disrupt your normal sleep cycle and are particularly effective at blocking your brain from entering REM sleep. I'd try to drink as far away from bed time as possible and try to stop at one drink when drinking in the evening. Day drinking is less problematic.

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    863
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I would agree, and I say that as someone who rarely drinks, but loves good booze of all varieties and would love to drink more but doesn't solely because alcohol makes me feel terrible. There is one caveat--in Why We Sleep Matthew Walker talks about sleep and alcohol extensively. Surprisingly small amounts of alcohol disrupt your normal sleep cycle and are particularly effective at blocking your brain from entering REM sleep. I'd try to drink as far away from bed time as possible and try to stop at one drink when drinking in the evening. Day drinking is less problematic.
    ^^ great point about sleep. i've been trying to sleep-hack for the past 6 months, with limited screentime strategies, mouth taping, earplugs, no cannabis after 6pm, etc - and all of that has helped me considerably. alcohol, however, is such a staple around meal time or immediately thereafter that it's hard to put a kibosh on. obviously i go to bed sober, but drinking is such a natural wind-down ritual for me.

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Walpole NH
    Posts
    8,689
    That wind down ritual is ingrained in us since childhood. The alcohol industry is based around this. If you feel the need to have a drink around 5:00 everyday, yeah, they got you just where they want you. Life is way more simple without it. Like way more.
    crab in my shoe mouth

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Placita
    Posts
    6,861
    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    ^^ really looking forward to other opinions/insights here, i'm very much in the same boat alcohol-wise as GM. i drink somewhere around 8-12 cocktails a week, rarely more than 2 at time. don't drink to get drunk, just for the flavor. no stress drinking/worrisome habits, either.
    Out of curiosity, how closely do you measure your cocktails? Free pour or do you use a jigger? How much booze goes into one cocktail?

    Not trying to be too pedantic, but one of my pitfalls with cocktails is that I tend to pour them on the strong side, and that "one cocktail" may actually have 3-4 shots in it. Which is part of the reason I'm almost exclusively a beer drinker, the primary reason being that there are 12 lifetimes worth of amazing beer being brewed right now.

    If we're sharing all of our vices, then I also consume about a liter of drip coffee every day, but don't consume any caffeine after 8:00am, and I smoke about 1 gram of cannabis (flower, not concentrate) on a daily basis.

    My mom was on the bottle of wine per day program for most of my childhood and adolescence. Where exactly the line lies between responsible drinking and heavy drinking varies from person to person, but I can say that crossed the line in my experience. Particularly the 1.5L bottle nights.
    I remember a bottomless freedom...

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    between campus and church
    Posts
    6,694
    Meh - my old man is 85 and drinks scotch like water. Iím pretty sure my genes are okay with a beer or two daily and an over-indulgence a few times a year.

    Everything in moderation...
    including moderation.

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    12,797
    Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I smoke about 1 gram of cannabis (flower, not concentrate) on a daily basis.
    Since I assume that's not ditch weed...holy fuck. I would be comatose.

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Walpole NH
    Posts
    8,689

    Sober October

    You drink when you ski, you drink when you ride, no problem here.
    Slippery
    crab in my shoe mouth

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    uTardedland
    Posts
    11,034
    That's a big huge no
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    your vacation
    Posts
    2,295
    Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    I rarely drink. And would never be able to handle 8-12 per week without serious health issues. You guys are a bunch of drunks from where I sit.
    this thread is going off the rails quickly



  10. #85
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    I smell poutine!!!
    Posts
    12,037
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    this thread is going off the rails quickly


    Fuck. You need to listen to better music. I'm breaking out in hives from that shit


  11. #86
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    United States of Aburdistan
    Posts
    6,780
    Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    I rarely drink. And would never be able to handle 8-12 per week without serious health issues. You guys are a bunch of drunks from where I sit.
    Pointdexter, how the hell does anyone get drunk averaging 2 drinks a night? That's called a good buzz. 10 percent of Americans drink, supposedly, 70+ drinks a week.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Day drinking is less problematic.
    Last time I had one IPA at 3pm, I was asleep at 4pm. I can't day drink anymore.
    Last edited by muted; 09-28-2020 at 09:32 PM.

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    8,225
    Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Sober doesn't only apply to booze. A month off the doob is good for mind and wallet.
    Uh, weed is cheaper than natty light in WA. The quality is outstanding.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Shadynasty's Jazz Club
    Posts
    8,769
    Congrats?
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Mayonnaisium
    Posts
    7,782
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I would agree, and I say that as someone who rarely drinks, but loves good booze of all varieties and would love to drink more but doesn't solely because alcohol makes me feel terrible. There is one caveat--in Why We Sleep Matthew Walker talks about sleep and alcohol extensively. Surprisingly small amounts of alcohol disrupt your normal sleep cycle and are particularly effective at blocking your brain from entering REM sleep. I'd try to drink as far away from bed time as possible and try to stop at one drink when drinking in the evening. Day drinking is less problematic.
    Weigh the higher quality of sleep without alcohol against getting to sleep earlier and easier with that one drink. Which is better and when? Who knows. I saw you recommend that book in another thread and want to read it because my sleep game is weak.

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,233
    I drink more than Tgapp and considerably fucking less than MTT, and I’m calling bullshit on the REM therory. Nothing against you Dan, but I have REM on the regular, usually get 8 hours of sleep, can function on 6 or 4 if needed although kinda cranky.

  16. #91
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    OR
    Posts
    1,661
    I switched to box wine years ago and feel much better

  17. #92
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,233
    Because you’re not compelled to finish a bottle, or because you consume a box in a sitting?

  18. #93
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    12,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Weigh the higher quality of sleep without alcohol against getting to sleep earlier and easier with that one drink. Which is better and when? Who knows.
    If I remember the book correctly, the science says the former, though I did the audio book so I can't just flip to that section and look it up. Sedation is not sleep. A lot depends on when you drink, how much, and your own genetics. One 12 oz/5% beer at dinner at 6-7 pm probably has little to no effect if you go to bed at 10-11 pm, and people have different genotypes that can drastically influence how quickly you metabolize alcohol and acetaldehyde. The classic "nightcap" right before bed is undoubtedly bad for your sleep.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    I drink more than Tgapp and considerably fucking less than MTT, and Iím calling bullshit on the REM therory. Nothing against you Dan, but I have REM on the regular, usually get 8 hours of sleep, can function on 6 or 4 if needed although kinda cranky.
    It's not a theory. It's established empirical science that has been repeatedly proven experimentally. Your self-assessment of your functionality on 4-6 hours of sleep is entirely unreliable. Your performance on cognitive and physical performance tests will show significant and reliable dose-dependent declines as your amount of sleep decreases. There are also more insidious problems you have no way of perceiving. Your immune system is especially vulnerable--one night with 4 hours of sleep reduces your killer T cell count by 70%.

  19. #94
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wasatch Back: 7000'
    Posts
    10,214
    Night cap or not, I love drinking my 3 fingers of bourbon and watching Netflix before hitting the hay
    ďA society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.Ē
    ― Milton Friedman

  20. #95
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    7,108
    I quit for about 2 years a while back. I did sleep better. It was probably the most noticeable impact of hopping on the wagon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

  21. #96
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    863
    Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Out of curiosity, how closely do you measure your cocktails? Free pour or do you use a jigger? How much booze goes into one cocktail?

    Not trying to be too pedantic, but one of my pitfalls with cocktails is that I tend to pour them on the strong side, and that "one cocktail" may actually have 3-4 shots in it. Which is part of the reason I'm almost exclusively a beer drinker, the primary reason being that there are 12 lifetimes worth of amazing beer being brewed right now.

    If we're sharing all of our vices, then I also consume about a liter of drip coffee every day, but don't consume any caffeine after 8:00am, and I smoke about 1 gram of cannabis (flower, not concentrate) on a daily basis.

    My mom was on the bottle of wine per day program for most of my childhood and adolescence. Where exactly the line lies between responsible drinking and heavy drinking varies from person to person, but I can say that crossed the line in my experience. Particularly the 1.5L bottle nights.

    i'm pretty disciplined in my mixing, i only use a jigger, and i already did the mental conversion to units of alcohol in my self-reported drinking. when i say up to 2 cocktails a night, a martini with 3oz is "two cocktails". or - as the theme of the house has lately been tiki, i would count one planter's punch or one zombie as 2 (or even 3) units of alcohol. i try to be honest in my own accounting; after all, there's no cheating, only lying.

    for other vices - 1-2 cups of coffee a day, .25g of flower a week (like a snapper bowl every few days), and a reasonable amount of sugar in my diet.

  22. #97
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,233
    @ Dan they were two different thoughts. I get 8 hours probably 300 days a year. The other 50 I’m probbaly getting up at 4am to ski.

    As far as the REM, those studies would mean millions and millions (billions) of people are getting zero REMs for their entire life. Doesn’t sound plausible.
    You’re clearly more of a scientist than I am so maybe I’m not understanding. But I have vivid dreams almost every night whether I drink the preceding evening or not. I thought vivid dreams and REM were tied together.

    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK11121/
    (Caveat- I didn’t read this whole article skimmed it for dream-rem correlation)

  23. #98
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    12,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    As far as the REM, those studies would mean millions and millions (billions) of people are getting zero REMs for their entire life. Doesnít sound plausible.
    Youíre clearly more of a scientist than I am so maybe Iím not understanding. But I have vivid dreams almost every night whether I drink the preceding evening or not. I thought vivid dreams and REM were tied together.
    Yes, dreams primarily occur during REM sleep, but not all REM sleep is spent dreaming. I didn't mean to suggest that small amounts of alcohol stop all REM sleep. Alcohol inhibits REM sleep in a reliable dose-dependent fashion. At the most extreme end, the delerium tremens hallucinations experienced by alcoholics during withdrawal are literally dreaming while awake. Their REM sleep has been so suppressed by severe chronic alcohol use and the need for REM sleep is so strong that the brain will enter that state while otherwise still awake.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK11121/
    (Caveat- I didnít read this whole article skimmed it for dream-rem correlation)
    That article is from 2001. There has been a mountain research done since then that has elucidated the function of REM sleep and dreams, and has conclusively shown that all phases of sleep carry out different functions and are very important.

  24. #99
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,233
    Interesting. Multitasking over here can’t read more currently.

  25. #100
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    champlain valley
    Posts
    5,310
    Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    I rarely drink. And would never be able to handle 8-12 per week without serious health issues. You guys are a bunch of drunks from where I sit.
    Wow

    Who the fuck eats dinner without a glass or two of wine. In my world that is baseline. Wine and beer are part of dinner


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •