Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Sober October

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    October is possibly the worst month to abstain from alcohol for me. It is peak of the bird season and after a good day of chasing birds with my dog or even cutting firewood having a whisk(e)y by the fire in the evening is one of the great pleasures of the fall.
    Sorry, I don't make the hashtag friendly rhymes, I just obey them. And for the record 'Dry July' is un-American, so that's not an alternate choice Dookey.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    Ah, it was this time last year that I woke up in the woods with no clothes on. That occasioned an involuntary sober october. Fuck that.
    Which would have made you what, 17? This thread is not for you, son.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    No nut guy here ^^^
    Not that sadistic! Hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Note: tomorrow is National Drink Beer Day. It’s not October...but I plan on carrying through!

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Does 23 in a row count?

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Fentanyl February is really gonna thin the herd out
    Angel Dust August?

San Pedro Frog February
    Ayahuasca April
    Shroomtember

Only a couple days left in Psilocybin September.
    Anyone holding?

So all joking aside, how much booze are you folks putting back in an average week to get to the point where you think to yourself, "geez, I need to take a month and dry out?"

I put back 8-12 beers a week (12 ounce, 4-7% abv), and rarely consume more than 3 in a single day. That strikes me as a sustainable/reasonable amount of alcohol to consume.

I took about 2 weeks off 5 years ago after a birthday night where I drank my weight in Uinta Hop Nosh, but since then, the longest break I took was a 4 night backpacking trip in the Canadian Rockies last fall.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Only a couple days left in Psilocybin September.
    Anyone holding?

So all joking aside, how much booze are you folks putting back in an average week to get to the point where you think to yourself, "geez, I need to take a month and dry out?"

I put back 8-12 beers a week (12 ounce, 4-7% abv), and rarely consume more than 3 in a single day. That strikes me as a sustainable/reasonable amount of alcohol to consume.

I took about 2 weeks off 5 years ago after a birthday night where I drank my weight in Uinta Hop Nosh, but since then, the longest break I took was a 4 night backpacking trip in the Canadian Rockies last fall.
    ^^ really looking forward to other opinions/insights here, i'm very much in the same boat alcohol-wise as GM. i drink somewhere around 8-12 cocktails a week, rarely more than 2 at time. don't drink to get drunk, just for the flavor. no stress drinking/worrisome habits, either.

CDC says

For men, heavy drinking is typically defined as consuming 15 drinks or more per week. For women, heavy drinking is typically defined as consuming 8 drinks or more per week.

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Sober doesn't only apply to booze. A month off the doob is good for mind and wallet.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    ^^ really looking forward to other opinions/insights here, i'm very much in the same boat alcohol-wise as GM. i drink somewhere around 8-12 cocktails a week, rarely more than 2 at time. don't drink to get drunk, just for the flavor. no stress drinking/worrisome habits, either.
    Hmm, the maths on this one bother me. A week has 7 days. 8-12 drinks a week? "Rarely" more than two at a time? Hello? At least one day, and possibly as many as 5 days a week you are having at least two. Or some days you are having 3 or more and some days you have none. Freaking Pigeon Hole Theorem.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    That's why Mom Nature gave us these
    Attachment 341587
    Speaking of fungus, who might be holding?

Sober October rules apparently don't include caffeine.

Ruling: Poseur BS

Today is Mary Jane Monday.
    I'd bet that the cow pastures of NM and AZ are popping right about now.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Hmm, the maths on this one bother me. A week has 7 days. 8-12 drinks a week? "Rarely" more than two at a time? Hello? At least one day, and possibly as many as 5 days a week you are having at least two. Or some days you are having 3 or more and some days you have none. Freaking Pigeon Hole Theorem.
    Your math seems wonky to me. Four days of one drink and three days of two drinks totals ten drinks. That fits the 8-12 regime and "rarely more than two at a time."

Sober October followed up with No Nut November.

Fuck the fun police making this shit up as they go along. I'll take a week off from drinking here and there, sure. As for the latter, I take a week off every month, so I'm already missing out on 3 months per year. Why would I sign up for 4? Seems like a conspiracy from those folks that can't get laid.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Your math seems wonky to me. Four days of one drink and three days of two drinks totals ten drinks. That fits the 8-12 regime and "rarely more than two at a time."
    I don't consider that to be rare.

I don't consider that to be rare.
    Do you understand the meaning of "more than?" Two is not more than two.

Do you understand the meaning of "more than?" Two is not more than two.
    Ya, I failed there, I read it as two or more. Fuck.

Ya, I failed there, I read it as two or more. Fuck.
    Sounds like you might need a "sober October" to clear your head!

Sounds like you might need a "sober October" to clear your head!
    I rarely drink. And would never be able to handle 8-12 per week without serious health issues. You guys are a bunch of drunks from where I sit.

No doubt my liver is begging for a month long rest but during the last quarter of the year??? That is never going to happen for a variety of reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I rarely drink.
    yet you sure seem to have lots of opinions on others' drinking.

i could be wildly off-base, but i feel like one drink in the evenings, most days, isn't an egregious offense (riser's pontificating aside). i lead an active lifestyle, am super healthy otherwise, etc. not drinking out of stress nor depression; i just really (really) love exploring the wonderful world of booze. i have a constant list of recipes i want to try, i make my own ingredients, follow bartenders whose work i admire on IG, etc.

what worries me is the regularity of it all. maybe he does have a point.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    yet you sure seem to have lots of opinions on others' drinking.

i could be wildly off-base, but i feel like one drink in the evenings, most days, isn't an egregious offense (riser's pontificating aside). i lead an active lifestyle, am super healthy otherwise, etc. not drinking out of stress nor depression; i just really (really) love exploring the wonderful world of booze. i have a constant list of recipes i want to try, i make my own ingredients, follow bartenders whose work i admire on IG, etc.

what worries me is the regularity of it all. maybe he does have a point.
    Heh. It's safer to have opinions about y'all drinking than it is to have opinions about the amount my wife drinks. Which I have come to learn is fine because it is 8 or fewer per week. So this thread was helpful.