Bike travel bags vs modern geometry

PSA -the move to longer/slacker bikes means that your new bike may no longer fit your travel bike bag/case - especially if you’re on an XL frame.

My XL transition patrol barely fits into my EVOC bag - and that’s with taking all the air outta the shock and fork and removing the rear derailleur and brake and adding extra padding - and then giving thoughts and prayers and laying myself at the mercy of the baggage handlers.

I now use a DoucheBag bike bag (yes that’s their brand name) for this particular bike but the extra length still isn’t enough to not necessitate collapsing the suspension and worrying about the tail area of the frame.

I’m not sure what you’d do with an XL 29er with similar or even longer wheelbase - perhaps separating the fork and frame would be necessary.

This is the main reason the industry is moving towards negative offset forks.

My size small Mojo3 barely fits in my dakine bag. I'll be out of luck with a 29er or pretty much any new bike.

Maybe the bike bag makers are conspiring with bike co's and longer/lower/slacker is really a strategy to boost bike bag sales?

Size difference

The Douchebag really is a great name for a MTB bag. Based on the name I'm assuming it was originally designed for e-bikes and endur-bros, though?

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    The Douchebag really is a great name for a MTB bag. Based on the name I'm assuming it was originally designed for e-bikes and endur-bros, though?
    They have a whole line of bags and luggage aimed at the Instagramer millennial crowd. How they managed to make such a great bike bag isn’t clear - it’s not perfect but it’s definitely high quality.

Rear stays are well protected by the bags internal frame.

Wife’s bike in the evoc showing how, if you put a bike in that barely fits, the rear is not well protected.

Jon Olsson and Truls Brataas are the founders of Douchebag. Their stuff is top notch I feel their ski bags are the best in the industry. I spent 3 winters in Sweden and saw a lot of their product because Sweeds are really proud of products made (or designed) in their home country. As for the name, they crowd sourced for a name of their upcoming company, and the name Douchebag came up a bunch of times.
    Last edited by Dee Hubbs; 09-27-2020 at 10:16 PM.