Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Choosing New 27.5 Wheelset

So my rear hub has been shot for some time now on my '17 Devinci Troy...already replaced a bearing in it and now the other one is going...hubs are OE Formula and I've concluded they suck.

I want to just buy a new wheel set already built and slap it on versus get wheels built. I've got the OE wheels Raceface AR27's right now.

Without doing a ton of research yet, I was. looking at i9 Hydra Enduro S wheelset. Alloy. Not really interested in carbon wheels, seems like more expensive shit to worry about breaking.

Looking for other suggestions on what to look at. I know the i9's I mentioned above are pretty pricey.

Thanks
    Mike

Providence indeed. Buy my carbon wheelset for less than most aluminum builds and save a ton of weight. Carbon is actually more durable because it will give and return to shape, not deflect and stay/crack.

FS: Generic 28H Carbon Enduro Wheelset with DT350 hubs-Boost XD
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=336650

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Umm...NO

My new ride came with formula hubs. Probably 4 days on that wheel and it works fine but im already planning on getting a hope rear hub /aluminium rim wheel. Buddies 2nd formula rear hub blew a couple weeks ago and cut a nice alpine ride in half. Nice dh back to the truck but it drove home the obvious. Too many bike co's specc shit rear hubs

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

I put a solid month of riding on an alloy 29er Enduro S wheel set with 1/1 hub, then a few rides on a Hydra hub on a different wheel set. No complaints whatsoever. The alloy wheels felt great. Not heavy or sluggish and have held up well on SWCO chunky/toothy rocks.
    The Hydra has been impressive so far, and I generally don’t give a shit about engagement- but they feel pretty great.
    That said, I wouldn’t blink at riding the 1/1 hub either.

If you can wait a month or so the new silent Stealth Hub from Box should be available. Instant engagement and silent like Onyx but less expensive.

Much lighter, I hope?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

A little lighter. Details should be on the website now.

My bike came with the SC Reserve's and I thought I'd never buy carbon, but man I cannot believe the difference. I'm a full convert now.

Yeah this. I upgraded the wheels on a 29er to a Light Bicycle 30mm carbon rim/DT350 wheel, and the difference in stiffness and how it tracked was noticeable just riding around my driveway. I've got a 27.5 Ibis 742/Chris King wheel now that I've been beating on for 5 years with no issues other than a couple broken spokes.

I just cracked another carbon rim, the second I've broken. They're going to replace the rim, but I have to rebuild which is a PIA. I like a lot of things about carbon rims, but apparently I can't have nice things. I think I'm going to stick with alloy from now on unless the wheel is dirt cheap or free. Probably not a problem if you're not hard on wheels, but something to consider if you are.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    I just cracked another carbon rim, the second I've broken. They're going to replace the rim, but I have to rebuild which is a PIA. I like a lot of things about carbon rims, but apparently I can't have nice things. I think I'm going to stick with alloy from now on unless the wheel is dirt cheap or free. Probably not a problem if you're not hard on wheels, but something to consider if you are.
    What kind of wheel, how new is it? There are big differences in strength across brands but more across layups and generations of rims. I broke three in one season early on in the carbon wheel trend. Been on two newer pairs since that have taken lots of hard hits without issue.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Nox Teocali, less than two years old I think. They've been awesome and have taken a serious beating, I'm just too much of a hack to own them.

One major plus, it still rolls (mostly) true, so I've continued to ride on it (very much against the recommendations of Nox).
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    That's always been and still is a concern...because I am a hack and can make bad decisions resulting in a busted wheel. They'll warranty it, but the down time is a pia. So now I have a back up bike. Which is also why SC has me for life as a customer.

Carbon rims, I’ve never understood. There are also much better rims than race face (Easton - think aluminum bats). There are also waaaay better hub makers than formula.

Bottom line: if you’re going to build wheels, do some research, talk to some wheel guys and do yourself right.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenstateofmind View Post
    There are also much better rims than race face (Easton - think aluminum bats).
    Race Face and Easton are the same company, or at least under the same parent ownership.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Race Face and Easton are the same company, or at least under the same parent ownership.
    And I think Easton should stick to bats and leave wheels to bike people fwiw, especially if you’re looking into a rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by Greenstateofmind View Post
    Carbon rims, I’ve never understood.
    Because you've never ridden a good set.

Friend of mine is selling a 27.5 Light Bicycle wheelset with I9 hubs. I think 35 internal, boost. $750 plus ship

Roost
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I can see the appeal. You stand on the pedal and they go forward not sideways. Had zero issues with my light bicycle/hope set up. Not my jam though. I found them too stiff and almost no weight savings. If i did break one it was only $50 to replace but i just didnt care for the ride or added initial price. I havent tried it but maybe a 28 spoke set and a lighter layup on the front rim might save some weight and offer some compliance. Ill prob just keep it simple with 32h alu wheels though

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    That said, I wouldn’t blink at riding the 1/1 hub either.
    I've been really happy with the 1/1 rear hub that I've been running for the past month or so. It'll definitely be a good upgrade over what you've been using, but at a much more palatable price than the Hydra hubs.
    No kick turns
    No mercy

been riding and abusing a set of stans flow Mk3 wheels laced to i9 torch hubs for almost 4 years now and they've been completely bomb proof. i've ridden and have several friends who have the i9 enduro wheels and i'd have no complaints about owning a set, but a good deal on the stans took me in that direction.

I just threw on a pair of ibis s35 alloy wheels
    with ibis hubs on my new bike. Only ridden about 50ish miles so far but I think I like em. Definitely quieter than my dt hubs and feels like more engagement but who really knows? I don't get too hung up in bike tech, I prefer to ride and as long as they don't break or require a constant true I'm good to roll. Nice price point too, in my opinion, which is always an ultimate deciding factor

Choosing New 27.5 Wheelset

I ended up being able to get a slight discount on a set of Enduro S Hydras so I said eff it and bought them. Was always kind of leaning towards an i9 wheelset and it seems people have good things to say. I’m sure I’ll enjoy them - just need to forget about the $$$!

Thanks everyone for the info