Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Protest vs Chipolte Banana vs DPS Lotus vs? - Deep days only

Like a lot of you I'm always thinking about something not so critical like replacing my big day boards. Not many skis over 120m in the waist these days but that's what i'm looking for.

Currently own : 188 megawatt (black and orange) 178 DPS Lotus Spoon

I like both skis but here's the issue the 178 feels too short and 188 too long. Ideally something in the 182-186 range. Something with a big sweet spot, stiff underfoot, that than can still be fun back to lift or after things are tracked out. I tried Nocta's in bad snow and the reverse camber didn't work so well for me. Has any one skied all three (protest, CB and DPS Lotus?) Anything else to consider? (k2 darkside seemed to have a little cult following but not in production anymore).

Thanks.

also, I'm intrigued by some of the fatypus line up. I have two friends with iRocks and like them. I'm intrigued by some of the newer models as well. I've got under 120m covered and I think anything over 124 or so as overkill.

187 Protest is such a good ski. Skis shorter than the 188 Megawatt. And far more fun in 3D snow including chop.

Haven't skied the others.

Don’t you all use your big clown shoes whenever you know that you’ll mostly be skiing in 3D snow deeper than 6”?

Have skied 187 protest and 192 as well. 187 was carbon blend and 192 is close to stock. Also skied the OG DPS lotus 120 in a 184. Protest is a great ski and shines at most everything including groomers. Lotus is more scalpel but also fun on groomers just more directional. I also have megawatts in 188 and feel they are easy. They are a bit planky with 40 m radius. I think protest is still one of the best. So is kusala. Just so quick and versatile. So I guess get protest or kusala. Both will ski like a 185

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

You’re looking for a deep day ski at the same time that a Kusala is being offered?

Quote Originally Posted by greenmachine View Post
    Not many skis over 120m in the waist these days but that's what i'm looking for.

Thanks.
    I think anything over 124 or so as overkill.
    This makes zero sense.
    With that said, I’m a yuuudge ProTest fanboi. Own stock 188’s and custom 4 flex 192’s. Yet to be on a better pow ski. If the groomers are soft and you have room they can carve and are fun hauling ass making giant arcs. If you want a pow ski to make small turns on groomers, these are not it.
    Maybe jump on the Kusala offering asap. Haven’t skied it but others who have and like the skis I do and ski very similar say it’s rad.

Any thoughts from someone on how different the protest and Kusala will be?

They seem like fairly different shapes... but get grouped together a lot these days.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    This makes zero sense.
    With that said, I’m a yuuudge ProTest fanboi. Own stock 188’s and custom 4 flex 192’s. Yet to be on a better pow ski. If the groomers are soft and you have room they can carve and are fun hauling ass making giant arcs. If you want a pow ski to make small turns on groomers, these are not it.
    Maybe jump on the Kusala offering asap. Haven’t skied it but others who have and like the skis I do and ski very similar say it’s rad.

Ok, to clarify. Lotus 138 and Fatypus Alotta are both north of 130 for example. I don't see the need for that, but I think there a deep days where it's nice to have more than what the 115-118 skis offer. I have OG bibby pro's but if I was skiiing 30+ at jhole I'd rather be on something wider. Isn't the Kusala a 189?

Ok, to clarify. Lotus 138 and Fatypus Alotta are both north of 130 for example. I don't see the need for that, but I think there a deep days where it's nice to have more than what the 115-118 skis offer. I have OG bibby pro's but if I was skiiing 30+ at jhole I'd rather be on something wider. Isn't the Kusala a 189?
    The Kusala is a 189 but it is going to be even easier than the bibby.

The Bibby is a great ski. But the difference between it and the Protest in 3D snow is the difference between a Bibby and a Monster 98 on hardpack.

184 Cease & Desist? Such a great ski.

I’ll just kind of reiterate my confusion at reading this thread— how is the current Kusala press not solving OP’s desires?

And if it’s not the Kusala you’re looking for, how is it possible that there might be another ski out there that isn’t already a cult leader?

How does this thread exist?

This is classic. It’s deep where I ski and protest and kusala make it so easy and fun. Yes they are different but I guess I can detail a bit. They are north pretty straight but kusala is straighter. Zero hook and very quick. Protest is more stable almost like megawatts in open terrain and kusala kills in trees. But again it’s 6cm difference for me.

My protest is a 192 and my kusala is 186 and the length makes a difference for sure. The tip splay on protest is more significant and it has camber. The kusala rocker is long and low so it it more flat not really reverse.

I agree just buy one of them or both as they are two of the all time from incredible designers. Now that both are praxis not sure it matters which one you buy.

This is like comparing a Ferrari to a Lamborghini. Not sure I can really do that for you

Last edited by whyturn; 09-25-2020 at 09:43 AM.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

2021/2022 (13/15)

What is your powder skiing style? Do you like putting your skis on high edge angles, loading them through the turn, and unweighting to transition to the next, or do you prefer to smear, pivot and skid like the bastard child of a snowboarder and a skier?

If the former, go with a DPS, if the latter, go with whatever heavy, sluggish thing the folks here recommend.

Glademaster, the former... ha ha. I'm old .. I appreciate the feedback. Guess it's hard to know without getting to try them all (kusala, protest, lotus, CB).

I've spent a decent amount of time on CBs and a ton of time on the protests and lotus 138s. Lotus 138s are the only one I haven't sold off and I'm actively hoarding them. That should answer your question.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    What is your powder skiing style? Do you like putting your skis on high edge angles, loading them through the turn, and unweighting to transition to the next, or do you prefer to smear, pivot and skid like the bastard child of a snowboarder and a skier?

If the former, go with a DPS, if the latter, go with whatever heavy, sluggish thing the folks here recommend.
    My kusala is close to DPS pure weight so not sure why you would say it’s sluggish. I have OG hybrid lotus 120. Skied spoon 120 and spoon 138 and never really liked them. But that’s why we have quivers. I always laugh at the resort when the rich dentists ask if I have tried DPS. I’m like do you really want to know? Dentist Preferred Skis (DPS)

I prefer the indies and DPS is stock owned overpriced Chinese made IMO.

Bring back the OG lotus 120. Or FKNA

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post

If both, go Lotus 138.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

184 Commander 124.......
    Looks to be exactly what you're looking for!

So there are 182 purple spoon 138 on KSL in sandy for $550. Sounds perfect for you

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?

2021/2022 (13/15)

OP didn’t say what lotus. But from later comments it’s seems 138.
    178cm is so short in that ski unless you are under five feet tall. I say height since weight is irrelevant with that much flotation.

I had a pair of red stripe og lotus 138. So loose and fun, but way to short for my height.

Never skied protesting bananas. Ymmv
    . . .

i have what you seek. 187 protests on a third mount w sth 14s. ONLY selling to get in on kusalas pm me for a deal green machine

Praxis Powder Boards....

fact.

Thx I’ll check it oht

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    My kusala is close to DPS pure weight so not sure why you would say it’s sluggish. I have OG hybrid lotus 120. Skied spoon 120 and spoon 138 and never really liked them. But that’s why we have quivers. I always laugh at the resort when the rich dentists ask if I have tried DPS. I’m like do you really want to know? Dentist Preferred Skis (DPS)

I prefer the indies and DPS is stock owned overpriced Chinese made IMO.

Bring back the OG lotus 120. Or FKNA

I have no interest in supporting PM Gear, so the Kusala comparison is irrelevant to me. I thoroughly enjoyed the Pure3 L120's, L138's and RPC's. Have yet to ski anything else that even comes to close to the rebound/energy you can get out of those skis in deep snow. Everything else feels lifeless by comparison.

It should also be noted that I'm only 5'7" and weigh around 150-155 pounds, so if you had a very different experience on DPS' than I did, odds are good the extra 75-100 pounds you have on me is why.