WTB: Plum Yak 14

Looks like these are discontinued and sold out everywhere. It's the only tech binding I haven't wanted to nuke from orbit within the first three turns. Figured I'd have time to snag another pair from skimo before they disappeared.

Anyone holding? Prefer the newest version (all-black with rear-facing brakes).
    Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    If you're not standing on the fucking traverse with your thumb up your ass you wont get checked.

dumbfuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedfreak View Post
    Looks like these are discontinued and sold out everywhere. It's the only tech binding I haven't wanted to nuke from orbit within the first three turns. Figured I'd have time to snag another pair from skimo before they disappeared.

Anyone holding? Prefer the newest version (all-black with rear-facing brakes).
    Why did you like them? There are lots of good options now.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app

“Good” is pretty relative. For me, I hadn’t found a tech binding that I’d even call “fair” until the Yak. Here are my two most important takeaways:

(1) All metal, not a hint of plastic.

(2) More importantly, the width of the mount lets me actually angulate and not have to worry about the clamps being the weak point. At 50mm hole to hole in the toe and 58mm in the heel the power transfer is flawless. Nothing else comes close to those numbers. Check out the chart on this page: https://skimo.co/tech-binding-hole-patterns

That said, if there are any bindings not listed there that have similar hole spacing, I’m all ears.
    If you're not standing on the fucking traverse with your thumb up your ass you wont get checked.

dumbfuck.

I’ve got a pair of plum guide heels I am trying to sell - same heel piece just different base plate

ATK - metal.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Thefortrees - The base plate is the key. The Yak is significantly wider

Galibier - Metal, yes. Wide enough, no. Wish they’d go wider with their hole patterns bc the Freeraiders look like a great option otherwise.

dumbfuck.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    ATK - metal.
    Lately, I have been lusting the FR14s
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Wonder if you could have someone make you a wider baseplate? I think the tower to baseplate attachment was the same in the yak and the normal plum heels.

a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Toe mount pattern on these is wide and long: https://www.snowcountry.eu/atk-raide...iABEgJmFvD_BwE

At the cost of added weight and stack height would plates like dynadukes help?

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    According to their website, yes. 35BPS. VAT will be removed from price.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Speedfreak View Post
    Thefortrees - The base plate is the key. The Yak is significantly wider

Galibier - Metal, yes. Wide enough, no. Wish they’d go wider with their hole patterns bc the Freeraiders look like a great option otherwise.
    Obviously, I don't want to dictate what you should be comfortable with, but still, I am curious ...

If you're talking about heavy angulation, aren't you talking race width skis in harder snow, and a narrower binding footprint? If not (soft snow) then is there really that much leverage on the ski where extra width is necessary?

I realize this is TGR, and there are both folks who ski harder than I can dream, as well as large Clydesdale dentists who are brutal with their gear

It sounds as if (failing your finding more Yaks), that fabricating base plates or ATKs is your path to happiness.

Snowinn is showing 100mm brake version available (https://www.snowinn.com/ski-store/pl...100mm/636674/p).
    Cripple Creek is showing 110mm (https://cripplecreekbc.com/products/...iant=837544349).
    Barabes is showing 110mm on their eBay store (https://www.ebay.com/i/193602767688?...evt=1&mkcid=28)

Strange ... the 100mm version at Snowinn shows a toe mounted brake!

[edit]Is the Yak really all metal? I wonder if the heel isn't the same construction as my Guide 12s, with the main part of the body being some sort of tough, machinable plastic (Delrin?) It's difficult to tell from the contrast in the various photos.[/edit]

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 09-27-2020 at 10:51 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Obviously, I don't want to dictate what you should be comfortable with, but still, I am curious ...

If you're talking about heavy angulation, aren't you talking race width skis in harder snow, and a narrower binding footprint? If not (soft snow) then is there really that much leverage on the ski where extra width is necessary?

I realize this is TGR, and there are both folks who ski harder than I can dream, as well as large Clydesdale dentists who are brutal with their gear

It sounds as if (failing your finding more Yaks), that fabricating base plates or ATKs is your path to happiness.

Snowinn is showing 100mm brake version available (https://www.snowinn.com/ski-store/pl...100mm/636674/p).
    Cripple Creek is showing 110mm (https://cripplecreekbc.com/products/...iant=837544349).
    Barabes is showing 110mm on their eBay store (https://www.ebay.com/i/193602767688?...evt=1&mkcid=28)

Strange ... the 100mm version at Snowinn shows a toe mounted brake!

[edit]Is the Yak really all metal? I wonder if the heel isn't the same construction as my Guide 12s, with the main part of the body being some sort of tough, machinable plastic (Delrin?) It's difficult to tell from the contrast in the various photos.[/edit]

... Thom
    Thanks for the links Thom! Regarding angulation, yes, I'm talking race style angulation, but on wider skis - say, anything at or under 115 in the waist. Hip drags on Deathwishes do happen (not all the time, but they do), and I'd like any binding I'm on to have that capability and not feel sloppy or insecure. For me, having to adjust my skiing style to fit my equipment is a bit of a killjoy. I'd rather have equipment that can do what I want in the moment and not have to second-guess myself.

Yup, the Yak is all-metal. Appears that they CNC'd all the parts out of aluminum blocks. They really are quite a work of art.

I'm taking a closer look at the ATK Freeraider 14 (and 2.0) and I'm really intrigued. Just noticed they offer "freeride spacers," for the 14 which look like they'd have a similar effect (possibly better since pressure is going thru the spacers and not the pins?) as the wider Yak mount point. The 2.0 appears to have an entire AFD that the heel rests on. I'll have to do more digging but it looks like you're right that ATK is the best solution.

Ha, regarding those forward-facing toe brakes, my Yaks originally came with those. They're the reason I've been looking for the ones with rearward-facing brakes. It didn't take long to snag and bend the crap out of one of them (and scare the crap out of me in the process). Thankfully they offer plain replacement toe plates that allow you to ditch the brakes altogether. It was an easy swap, and was probably better than just cutting the brakes off.

dumbfuck.

Do you currently have a pair of Guides? I think I may have Yak plates in a box downstairs that I could send you, if that helps?

Quote Originally Posted by helldriven View Post
    Do you currently have a pair of Guides? I think I may have Yak plates in a box downstairs that I could send you, if that helps?
    I don't have guides, but thanks for the offer!

Still figuring things out. Might just QK the tour quiver for the Yaks/Shifts I have so i can mix and match as needed.

dumbfuck.

Trying to follow the guideline not to post other people's ongoing eBay/Craigslist/etc. sales, but just sent a PM with a link to a cheap pair listed a week ago