Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: skin reglue

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeAl View Post
    Just to clarify shipping is included in the $75 fee (CONUS).
    Shipping shows up in the cart.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 08.14.50.png 
Views:	61 
Size:	265.4 KB 
ID:	341959

BC skiers should learn how to re-glue cuz its not really that hard, there are lots of good DIY you toobes, this ain't a bad one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOrwW0lH2z8
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Same topic, different question.

I came into (stupidly bought) two pairs of G3 Escapist skins with defective glue.

The skins stick to the skis for one climb. On the second run they start falling off on the sides. By the third run the glue does not work at all.

These are brand new out of the box skins.

I contacted G3 and they told me they could not/would not help.

I finally found the last tube of Black Diamond skin glue available in America.

I have used skin glue before to touch up skins where the glue was not sticky due to pine needles, hair, dirt, etc.

Before, I made a squiggle of glue down each side of the skin and smoothed with an old credit card.

I am too lazy to remove the old glue on the G3s. I also probably don't have enough glue to provide full skin coverage.

Can I apply the BD skin glue to these G3 skins in the same way that I described above? Go over the old glue, squiggle of new glue, smooth with a card? Or is there something else I need to do/be aware of?

BD and G3 use different glue, don’t try to touch up the G3 with the BD glue.

Scraping the glue is super easy, just buy a $7 heat gun and $1 putty knife from harbor freight and go to town. I did both mine from scraping to done glueing in under 90 mins.

Quote Originally Posted by cloud cult View Post

I came into (stupidly bought) two pairs of G3 Escapist skins with defective glue.

The skins stick to the skis for one climb. On the second run they start falling off on the sides. By the third run the glue does not work at all.

I have used skin glue before to touch up skins where the glue was not sticky due to pine needles, hair, dirt, etc.

Before, I made a squiggle of glue down each side of the skin and smoothed with an old credit card.

I am too lazy to remove the old glue on the G3s. I also probably don't have enough glue to provide full skin coverage.

Can I apply the BD skin glue to these G3 skins in the same way that I described above? Go over the old glue, squiggle of new glue, smooth with a card? Or is there something else I need to do/be aware of?
    the link I posted is good

I have alwasy used 1 tube for a pair of skins

if you are too lazy to take all the old glue off and just wana apply a different glue over what was bad glue to begin with, just save yerslef the hassle and just buy new skins

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    BD and G3 use different glue, don’t try to touch up the G3 with the BD glue.

Scraping the glue is super easy, just buy a $7 heat gun and $1 putty knife from harbor freight and go to town. I did both mine from scraping to done glueing in under 90 mins.
    yup or iron that fucker through a piece of paper and hot scrape it

Quote Originally Posted by cloud cult View Post

Have you tried ironing the glue? Ideally you’d use the backing paper that originally shipped with the skins, but a high quality parchement paper could work in a pinch. Lay it down smooth then use a waxing iron to try to get the glue to smooth out and reset, that might get the glue refreshed near the edges of your skis.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I met this guide who was telling us about a quick n easy way to rejuvey ski glue

put the skins in the bag and thro them in the dryer which seems perfect for yer lazy skier

don't forget to turn the dryer on

Did you ever have your skins get wet, stretch and slip off? I have. And then I waxed my skins an all was as it should be.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Anyone ever try transferring glue from one skin to another? I got an old pair I don’t use anymore with good glue, and an old pair that is basically now glueless. Maybe warm up the one with glue and stick it to the bottom of the one that needs it... and let it cool????

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

that ^^ sounds almost like reusing a condom

but think about it, a new tube of glue is 15-20 $ + a whole bunch of time & stink, why not just use a new tube ?

skin reglue

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    that ^^ sounds almost like reusing a condom

but think about it, a new tube of glue is 15-20 $ + a whole bunch of time & stink, why not just use a new tube ?
    Hard to find right now, distributors in the US have been out. Maybe that’s changed recently but last I looked that was the case so I’ve been thinking. And now I’m leaving for Alaska tomorrow and I haven’t done anything about it...

Edit: haha now that I looked skimo is stocked back up with it but now I’m outa time

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The stuff will last forever in an unopenned tube so I always stock 2 tubes of gold label in the personal stash,

it sounds like you are SOL might have time to buy new skins ?

Did my first heat gun scrape, went pretty good. I bought colltex cheat sheets. 18bucks. The shop rat said it gonna be easier. So I went spendy!
    Results look good.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1318.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	247.4 KB 
ID:	479416

^^^^
    Nice work. After viewing some of the picks of those climbing skins, I don't feel so bad. I thought mine were bad, but maybe not. I did the old paper bag technique with an iron. It really wasn't that bad or time consuming and yielded decent results. Made a world of difference first time out this season with the cleaned up skins.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

I don't know why anyone would fack with paper bags but ski bro read the same artical, things go fine until he runs out of paper bags and uses newspaper which falls apart and becomes a fucking mess

so he calls me up for a consult ( practising MD ) so I go over and heatgun/ scrape/ apply new glue and say to bro

" you are lucky some people still make house calls "

When you don't have a heat gun but a shit ton of paper bags lying around, well, you use what you got.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Rock on TM
    watch out for snakes

It all works and a hair drier is basically just as good as a heat gun

Pro tip to use a respirator that filters VOCs when applying new glue + do it outside