RIP Gale Sayers. The best of the best

He impressed me so much. The guy could flat out ball
    Name:  images.jpeg
Views: 817
Size:  9.0 KB
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Oh man, one of my football heroes as a kid. Another victim of CTE, it would appear. RIP KC.

His illness saddens me. Death is unfortunately the only cure.

Before my time. But I remember Brian's Song.

I was very young, and just remember the end of his career, butI rank him along with OJ, Jim Brown , Sir Walter Payton and Barry Sanders
    Yards per carry over a career. Throw out the QBs, and you have a pretty impressive bunch

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 12.38.55 PM.png
Views: 568
Size:  44.8 KB
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    I was very young, and just remember the end of his career, butI rank him along with OJ, Jim Brown , Sir Walter Payton and Barry Sanders
    Yards per carry over a career. Throw out the QBs, and you have a pretty impressive bunch

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 12.38.55 PM.png
Views: 568
Size:  44.8 KB
    Marion Motley. Wow!

So, I've only met one NFL-er in my life and it was Mr. Sayers. My dad and I were at the American youth bowling championships in Texas in 1973 or '74 (my dad was a bowling alley owner on the executive of the Canadian Bowling Proprietors Association and the Youth Bowling Council, so I think they covered part of his expenses to get there and attend). Anyway, at the awards ceremony Gale was the guest speaker. I remember him being an outspoken advocate of racial equality (not the most popular stance in Texas in the early '70's), and I truly think that his speach informed me of the presence and the dangers of prejudice. I believe that Gale's roommate on the road was a white dude and that this was unheard of in the NFL previously. Rest in peace Gale, you had balls man.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    I believe that Gale's roommate on the road was a white dude and that this was unheard of in the NFL previously. Rest in peace Gale, you had balls man.
    That would be Brian Piccolo, inspiration for the movie "Brian's Song."

That guy was so smooth... RIP

Supposedly he cut off his heels more than the balls of his feet and that upright posture allowed him to move more quickly and directly laterally than other runners, I've also heard that said about Barry Sanders. fwiw

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    on of the best 3rd evarz
    specially when ya look to his
    1 and 2
    sloberknocky speed and class
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno