Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Laps View Post
    I have a pair of marquettes I would part with for shipping+beer money if someone wants them. Scratched to shit, but that is what they are made for. I think they glide better now. In VT if anyone nearby wants to check em out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you have a price shipped to 60123 lemme know.

My fiancé just bought a pair of BC100s with Zed 9s for playing in the woods this winter. I’ve had a Guide/Switchback/T2x setup for a decade or so now, but Telemark isn’t my A-game. I’d rather have my heel locked when messing around in backyard conditions. Our local shop ordered a pair of Hyper V6 BCs for me. I want MTB season to last as long as possible, but winter should be fun.

Jhyatt is first in line for Marquettes. dgilligan, i will let you know if he passes.

Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

Quote Originally Posted by Laps View Post
    Jhyatt is first in line for Marquettes. dgilligan, i will let you know if he passes.

Can I get in line too?

Just took the new Voile ultra vectors out for a skip. I'am going to like these!

The dude from the Wintrymix podcast skis Marquettes all over the foothills near Golden/Gennesee Park. They do look like a blast during those upslope storms.

I ended up getting a pair of hoks. Seemed pretty good except the fact I can't tele to save my life.

Fish scaled skis? Also: dumb idea alert.

if y'all were going to mount a Voile V6BC with a G3 Targa for a Crispi CXT boot to use on snow survey tours that are mostly meadow skipping and rolling terrain for a couple hours to a week, would you mount them old school pins on ski center or boot center at ski center or maybe split the difference?

Voile recommends boot center at ski center.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1605942457.695665.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	311.4 KB 
ID:	349070
    Last edited by ~mikey b; 11-21-2020 at 01:07 AM.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    if y'all were going to mount a Voile V6BC with a G3 Targa for a Crispi CXT boot to use on snow survey tours that are mostly meadow skipping and rolling terrain for a couple hours to a week, would you mount them old school pins on ski center or boot center at ski center or maybe split the difference?

Voile recommends boot center at ski center.
    First, I wouldn't want to tour on those Targas! Switchback or another free pivot option would be way mo bettah.

That being said, for that setup I would probably just mount back 2cm from boot center mark if for no other reason to help tips float up when climbing to compensate for the downward tip pressure from a non-free pivot binding. I mount all my new burlier NTN stuff same as alpine but when I was on older style like what you are on, usually 1-2cm back, older than that (leathers, etc. requires lots of arguing, beer drinking, mathematical schematics, and hand wringing). If a ski has a lot of tail rocker, even on your binding/boot setup, I would stick to bc on the line.

However, I have never skied that ski, or any Voile skis for that matter, (lots of their bindings though) so others that have can maybe chime in that have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Whoops just saw your other post and sounds like you went on the line. Yer gonna die!

Fish scaled skis? Also: dumb idea alert.

Targa is good for this application because we have extra parts at the cabins we use for the long trip in case of breakage. Think 60 mile trans Sierra with cabins to stay at every night. They’re simple, they’re light, and they work just fine.

Targa is good for this application because we have extra parts at the cabins we use for the long trip in case of breakage. Think 60 mile trans Sierra with cabins to stay at every night. They’re simple, they’re light, and they work just fine.
    Only tele binding I've ever hated, ha. Lots of extra parts is good though. I would opt for simple 3 pin with no heel cable myself over targa.

Skis sound nice though! I'm sure it will be fine.

you oughta see my parts box....

you oughta see my parts box....
    Yeah, if I had readily available parts would have been different. Easy to work on for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    First, I wouldn't want to tour on those Targas! Switchback or another free pivot option would be way mo bettah.
    I agree that the Targa is a terrible binding but I personally disagree with the "free pivot option" on a meadow skipping ski. A few years ago, I mounted a pair of Karhu Guides with 7TM free pivot bindings and absolutely hated trying to kick and glide with the free pivot. IMO, for real kick/glide experience, you need to have a bit of tension on the forefoot in order to keep pressure on the kick pattern. Going up on the tips of your toes with a free pivot is not how god intended XC skiing to work. My current favorite meadow skipping binding is the Voile 3-pin hardwire. For the XC approach, you can leave the hardwire snapped down to the heal pad on the ski and just use the 3-pin toe for efficient/controlled kick and glide. Then, when you reach your goal and are ready to make turns, lock the hardwires to the heel of your boot and have a very decently active/powered tele binding. Just my $.02 based on a couple of decades of this type of skiing.

+1 for three pins being a killer meadow
    Skipper setup, but it sounds like the targas are your jam.

I had voile w/fishscales and
    Mounted them on rec line and was pleased with how they felt for kick and glide and even moreso with the downhill performance. The bindings were free pivot, which felt weird at first but after a few kicks it was fine.

Boot center in the line.

did done

Quote Originally Posted by OldMil View Post
    I agree that the Targa is a terrible binding but I personally disagree with the "free pivot option" on a meadow skipping ski. A few years ago, I mounted a pair of Karhu Guides with 7TM free pivot bindings and absolutely hated trying to kick and glide with the free pivot. IMO, for real kick/glide experience, you need to have a bit of tension on the forefoot in order to keep pressure on the kick pattern. Going up on the tips of your toes with a free pivot is not how god intended XC skiing to work. My current favorite meadow skipping binding is the Voile 3-pin hardwire. For the XC approach, you can leave the hardwire snapped down to the heal pad on the ski and just use the 3-pin toe for efficient/controlled kick and glide. Then, when you reach your goal and are ready to make turns, lock the hardwires to the heel of your boot and have a very decently active/powered tele binding. Just my $.02 based on a couple of decades of this type of skiing.
    I was always happy meadow skipping in my Switchbacks. Skied the 3 pin CRB and Hardwire for years. Much prefer the switchbacks for efficiency. To me, meadow skipping still requires skins so kick and glide is irrelevant, but I could always get a good rhythm going on flats, just a bit of different style. Some don't like the tippy toe feeling but I much prefer it over fighting the flex of plastic, leather and thinner metal edge skis rule there if toe is clamped down. For truly mellow terrain I prefer waxable nordic edgeless skis. Different strokes for different folks.

edit to add: Oh, and I hate every fucking waxless ski I've ever tried, so there's that.
    I would like to try a Voile bc version sometime though, out of curiosity.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 3PinGrin; 11-21-2020 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoyo View Post
    Again, unless you happen to have access to machine tools, this process would not be practical. Even so, it could only make sense if you want a ski with scales that just isn't available on the market. Bottom line, just buy what you want!
    I feel like I could pull this off with a plunge router and a well thought-out jig, though it would probably take more than 3 hours just to make the jig.

for god sake make sure you have enough dope !

edit; for the skiing that is, use a mill for the fish scales
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I took these out for the first time today and I was stoked. I understand why folks don't like the Targa, but I've always been happy enough with it, and I wanted to go with what the program already has, and I personally have hoarded at least 3 full sets plus lots of extra bits. I honestly think they tour and ski fine for what we do. I also prefer the control of a cable binding for the skating, skipping, scootching and sketching we do trying to beater our way through the woods in the Low Sierra for the snow surveys. Even the long tour, which is usually 4 days and 3 nights, doesn't require a ton of real climbing, nor does it offer much in the way of turns. It's mostly a 60 mile low angle downhill meadow skip from the crest to 6500'. We can actually do the whole thing without ever using skins with skis like these. I'm digging this setup.

Sounds like a good setup for the intended use. If you ever want to climb something a bit steeper but not breakout the skins, you can kickwax the tip and tail (as long as conditions are right). Do you have the little flippy piece on the heel for touring so you flip the lever upside down to relieve a little cable tension? I can't remember if they all had that or not, but it did help a bit for touring.

yeah I've got that

I'll probably carry some kickers

That sounds like a pretty sweet gig, imo.

I dig it.