Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MIPs. Marketing or worth it?

Starting off by referencing this thread: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...e-Mags-Rocking where MIPs is discussed but the thread is 3 years old now and MIPs was pretty new then to my knowledge. Was curious to hear if there has been some updates on if people think its worth it and if there has been any 3rd party testers. I could only find tests done by MIPs themselves and companies that sell MIPs products.

You think MIPs is worth the extra price? Specifically skiing and mountain biking

Not sure if this answers your question but the Virginia Tech helmet ratings seem pretty well regarded, and all (or nearly all) of the top helmets have mips: https://helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicycle-helmet-ratings.html

As far as I am concerned, I’m happy to pay the extra $ if there’s a chance it will keep me from getting concussed. I certainly don’t think its hurting anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At this point its pretty hard to find a high end helmet without mips, so really the upcharge is also for nicer other features as well as mips. Also even if the little unbiased evidence that mips helps, there almost no chance it makes the helmet worse so why not have it.

For mountain biking mips is absolutely worth it, I won’t use a helmet without it.
    For skiing I don’t consider it a must have, but it is a nice feature.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

i can't remember

I don’t know. But I’d be curious if there is any well supported, well researched data and results that are for or against it.

Edit: quick google search “NIH + MIPS”

Has a bunch of stuff-

This is quite recent.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...8/#!po=1.04167

NOT without limitations and exceptions but pretty encouraging for MIPS and SPIN.

Which is all to say, it probably can’t hurt.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

MIPs. Marketing or worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by poleplant View Post
    For mountain biking mips is absolutely worth it, I won’t use a helmet without it.
    For skiing I don’t consider it a must have, but it is a nice feature.

As both a mountain biker and skier, I find this comment odd. Why mandatory for biking and not skiing?

Cheap insurance, if it gives my noggin’ a better shot to survive a crash YUP!

This was posted by someone in comments on Wildsnow a little while ago:

https://www.folksam.se/media/S40056-...tcm5-41788.pdf

Probably main take away "Only two helmet did not give results that exceeded the threshold for a 50% risk of concussion in any of the three tests. Helmets equipped with MIPS performed, in general, better than the others."

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by fleaches View Post
    This was posted by someone in comments on Wildsnow a little while ago:

https://www.folksam.se/media/S40056-...tcm5-41788.pdf

Probably main take away "Only two helmet did not give results that exceeded the threshold for a 50% risk of concussion in any of the three tests. Helmets equipped with MIPS performed, in general, better than the others."
    “Friction similar to asphalt” - Good test condition for snow helmets!
    U.P.: up

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    As both a mountain biker and skier, I find this comment odd. Why mandatory for biking and not skiing?

Mtb helmet hits dirt/rocks and sticks and undergoes larger friction forces than snow... And it's that kind of rotational force MIPS is meant for. Not as much rotational force from friction on snow.

But yeah, you're right. Cheap insurance. For me, 1hr pay is the cost difference between the MIPS version and non mips. And my brain is my livelihood. I spare no expense on my mtb and skiing brain buckets.

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    i can't remember
    What were we talking about?

Not everything a head hits on a ski slope is snow. Rocks and trees are popular, non yielding surfaces.

Last season, I dropped a ski going fast, tried to shut it down, and wound up taking a header into an icy bump going >30mph. I was wearing a Smith Quantum and genuinely think I felt the MIPS do it’s magic on that one. My head didn’t seem to get abruptly stopped nearly as harshly as the impact would have me expect, which I attribute to the MIPS, and maybe the Koroyd material, which wound up visibly compressed. I can’t say it with certainty, but I’m convinced I likely would have been concussed in a lesser helmet.

Gapers and jongs are also non yielding when they hit you.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post

Snow has much more give than dirt and rocks. Also With the nature of mtb crashes mips helps a ton. With skiing I don’t think I’ve had a crash in the last 20 years that mips would have helped more than a normal helmet (I.e. not much rotational force)
    Idk just my thoughts. I think mips in ski helmets is more to advertise a feature than to solve a common problem.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Mtb helmet hits dirt/rocks and sticks and undergoes larger friction forces than snow... And it's that kind of rotational force MIPS is meant for. Not as much rotational force from friction on snow.

But yeah, you're right. Cheap insurance. For me, 1hr pay is the cost difference between the MIPS version and non mips. And my brain is my livelihood. I spare no expense on my mtb and skiing brain buckets.
    Gotcha

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Not everything a head hits on a ski slope is snow. Rocks and trees are popular, non yielding surfaces.
    But was thinking along this logic.

Thanks everyone. For the argument that "it doesn't hurt and its only an extra $30", I don't like supporting marketing that isn't backed, just not a fan of that concept for various reasons. Doesn't seem to be the case here. MIPs it is!

Two years ago I had just bought my first MIPS helmet days before when I ate it riding. I had no idea I had even hit my head until I took my helmet off and saw that the foam was cracked, and not mildly. Not exactly a scientific study, but that convinced me. All helmets I buy will be MIPS or equivalent going forward. Also, I know a guy who used to work on helmet R&D at Fox. He's also told me to go MIPS 100%, and that you should use a helmet for 3 years max if you ride a lot. The EPS reacts with UV and gets stiffer over time so it absorbs less energy in a crash.

I noticed a big crack in the back of my bike helmet and i'm not sure how it got there but I'm glad I wear helemets so I picked up a bell sixxer with mips which is not easy for me cuz nothing fits my head but the XL did

never scrimp on life saving safety gear ... helmets, snow tires, condoms
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by waxloaf View Post
    Not sure if this answers your question but the Virginia Tech helmet ratings seem pretty well regarded, and all (or nearly all) of the top helmets have mips: https://helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicycle-helmet-ratings.html

As far as I am concerned, I’m happy to pay the extra $ if there’s a chance it will keep me from getting concussed. I certainly don’t think its hurting anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I recently bought a Fox Speedframe Pro and utilized those ratings a lot. MIPS is definitely important in the bike helmets, but I think dual density liners are pretty important too. The Dropframe, TLD A2 MIPS, and Speedframe Pro all scored really highly and have dual density liners.

Does anyone know if MIPS is easily removable from a helmet?
    90% of skiing is just looking cool

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    You could probably trim it out if you really wanted to, but not easily/reversibly or without changing the fit of the helmet significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by poleplant View Post
    Snow has much more give than dirt and rocks. Also With the nature of mtb crashes mips helps a ton. With skiing I don’t think I’ve had a crash in the last 20 years that mips would have helped more than a normal helmet (I.e. not much rotational force)
    Idk just my thoughts. I think mips in ski helmets is more to advertise a feature than to solve a common problem.

Yes. Coefficient of friction of landing force plays a role.
    Asphalt. Vs gravel. Vs snow. MIPS less helpful as you go.
    But there’s always some help, even if it is only to prevent neck tweaks and not a full on concussion.

But I am still a fan of the occasional unprotected run. Went flat terrain biking last weekend with no helmet. Wind blowing in my hair. Freedom.

A couple times a year I enjoy skiing with no helmet. It’s liberating. And I ski slower and more zen.
    But why? Once you’ve paid for it, why defeat it?
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    But why? Once you’ve paid for it, why defeat it?
    I have a big head and if it came down to it, I'd rather have a helmet fit better than have MIPS.
    90% of skiing is just looking cool

I have a big head and if it came down to it, I'd rather have a helmet fit better than have MIPS.
    I have had to sand the foam out of an XL Boeri with a drill mounted rotary rasp which still didnt fit well so i feel your pain literaly

look for a bigger helmet, any time I see an XL helmet in a store I try it on, usually I can't find a helmet to fit but I just got the Bell sixxer with mips in an XL and it fits very well
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know