Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Lightbulb What Kind of Gear Do You Want TGR To Review

Hello TGR gang-

Yeah yeah, we know that us TGR office folk aren't all too active on the forums ever, but we want to try a little something new here.

In an effort to make our TGR Tested gear coverage a little more relevant (keep in mind we are a tiny crew here and doing the best we can), we want to see what gear and tech the community wants to learn more about. SO, we are opening up the floor to any requests and suggestions on how we can improve our gear coverage - let us know what you'd like us to test, and feel free to ask us any questions about it right here on the forums.

Anything goes in the ski, snowboard, and bike universe, and we'd love to dive a little deeper into other water and mountain sports worlds.

Hit us with what you want to hear about!

- Max Ritter

Can you test the server rack fan, please?

Socks.

We want testers who actually shred, not a bunch of office jocks who just want free shit, no one reading reviews cares how a product performs under someone who’s not actually putting it through its paces.

#testthetags

What Kind of Gear Do You Want TGR To Review

Quote Originally Posted by madriverfreeride View Post
    We want testers who actually shred, not a bunch of office jocks who just want free shit, no one reading reviews cares how a product performs under someone who’s not actually putting it through its paces.

So you don’t want TGR to be Powder, Ski Mag, Powder7 or NewSchoolers? Sounds easy enough...

Reviews that are more in-depth then “this piece of gear is rad cause I did cooler things then everyone else on it” would be a good start.

Honestly, instead of gear reviews, maybe trip reviews that don’t come across as sponsored puke, would be cool. TGR goes all sorts of cool places, and finding out the cool off the beaten path to ski/bike/surf/shred/eat would be way cooler then another puking out gear reviews for views. Not saying you will do that, but we have enough websites rewriting gear marketing blurbs with what ever the it catch phrase of the year is.

Maybe how to get into thing X would be cool, with out saying you need to spend one billion dollars to get into it. My example here is ski touring. Yeah, frame bindings suck, and touring bindings are a lot better then they were 5/10 years ago, but frame bindings are 10000% ok to get into it, and maybe having something written like that from TGR would be rad.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Mimic Stab in the Dark -- but with skis. And have Hoji as the skier. Or Seth.

it would be cool if TGR paid some of the respected TT mags (leelau or someone) to do reviews, or at least featured some of their reviews. otherwise I don't much care what TGR the brand reviews tbh

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Can you test the server rack fan, please?
    And tags, search function updates, banning trolls, etc.

I think there is a big hole in ski media for review videos.

- Pinkbike and Bike Mag do a great job
    with the field tests and bible of bike review videos. Following that formula would be great.

- Some head to head comparison videos with some ski stoke / top gear style antics would be great. Book a few BC cat days and video a group of skiers reviewing and comparing the current RR/superfat offerings.... Compare some groomerzoomers with a timed/staged gaper slalom.... Test some chargers by putting an accelerometer on the tips and pinning it through some spicy line...

- I like Stab’s: Shot in the Dark series. They have 10 surfboard shapers make a pro a board and he surfs them all and try’s to pick who made what and what his favorite is... you could do this with blacked out top sheets and bases. I’m sure the smaller builders would participate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Mimic Stab in the Dark -- but with skis. And have Hoji as the skier. Or Seth.

Beat me to it.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

In fitting with the predominant age demographic of these forums, suggest in depth testing of incontinence products. Are Depends really the best, or are other products worth considering?

These products are also a convenience and time saver for younger skiers as well. Avoid having to find a bathroom and peel off multiple layers when resort skiing, not to mention the time advantage afforded skimo competitors.

Maybe a ski town comparison of local hookers and blow. Similar to the backcountry trip report mentioned earlier. Average prices would be very helpful in trip budgeting

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    I think there is a big hole in ski media for review videos.

- Pinkbike and Bike Mag do a great job
    with the field tests and bible of bike review videos. Following that formula would be great.

- Some head to head comparison videos with some ski stoke / top gear style antics would be great. Book a few BC cat days and video a group of skiers reviewing and comparing the current RR/superfat offerings.... Compare some groomerzoomers with a timed/staged gaper slalom.... Test some chargers by putting an accelerometer on the tips and pinning it through some spicy line...

- I like Stab’s: Shot in the Dark series. They have 10 surfboard shapers make a pro a board and he surfs them all and try’s to pick who made what and what his favorite is... you could do this with blacked out top sheets and bases. I’m sure the smaller builders would participate.

(in seriousness now) I agree. There are tons of opinions and reviews of gear that are spewed on the web but they are of limited utility (IMO) without actually seeing the person using the gear.

Show me your skiing before I believe one fucking word you say about that ski. Better yet, ski with me so I can watch you.

Etc.

Lesbostraps.
    All models.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Just test the red ones and be done with.

curvy redheads vs crazy asian party girls?

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    In fitting with the predominant age demographic of these forums, suggest in depth testing of incontinence products. Are Depends really the best, or are other products worth considering?

These products are also a convenience and time saver for younger skiers as well. Avoid having to find a bathroom and peel off multiple layers when resort skiing, not to mention the time advantage afforded skimo competitors.
    In these unprecedented times, a shart-off test is called for.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Can you guys test Rax and tell us what all the hype is about?

seriously though, test some of the baddest Big Mountain Chargers and ridiculous powder skis, because it seems the ski market is leading us away from those types of skis, and that’s not cool

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Lesbostraps.
    All models.
    Came here to post this.

And party drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    curvy redheads vs crazy asian party girls?
    vs. Husky Latinas?

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Just test the red ones and be done with.
    No need to test. The red ski is always better.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    And party drugs.
    I'm pretty sure you've tested all of them based on your posts after midnight here, maybe you could write for them

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    In these unprecedented times, a shart-off test is called for.
    I hadn’t considered solid state applications, but might as well cover that asspect, too.

Quote Originally Posted by tgrweb View Post
    Hello TGR gang-

Yeah yeah, we know that us TGR office folk aren't all too active on the forums ever, but we want to try a little something new here.

In an effort to make our TGR Tested gear coverage a little more relevant (keep in mind we are a tiny crew here and doing the best we can), we want to see what gear and tech the community wants to learn more about. SO, we are opening up the floor to any requests and suggestions on how we can improve our gear coverage - let us know what you'd like us to test, and feel free to ask us any questions about it right here on the forums.

Anything goes in the ski, snowboard, and bike universe, and we'd love to dive a little deeper into other water and mountain sports worlds.

Hit us with what you want to hear about!

- Max Ritter
    Same deal as everyone someone drops in here for market research, doesn't matter that you're borrowing a name with history. You'll get better suggestions if you interact and converse a bit.

Tell us what you're looking for. Are you trying to get more interest and conversation from people who know and use the gear? Are you trying to sell pin bindings to some poor fuck in Ohio who now wants to tour on their one trip a year to Jackson? Are you trying to get more ad money from partners/sponsors?

There's a lot of room for improvement in gear reviews but it's hard to do well and sustain. It seems like every time someone tries they end up either devolving to insipid marketing phrases to stay safe/not alienate advertisers/reduce time spent testing gear, or they try to jump into covering every possible outdoor activity while pretending to be knowledgeable/hiring new contributors to fill the gaps.

There's a ridiculous amount of gear coming out every year, I don't think it's worth covering everything. To the unknown board idea, get a couple pairs of skis, paint them black (or white for the touring nerds) and gather some people to give an impression. But show us some of their skiing.

How to dirtbag your way into biking/touring/trail running or whatever could be fun. Same with finding out what gear someone who's out every day uses and loves, maybe include what the closest available equivalent piece is.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    I hadn’t considered solid state applications, but might as well cover that asspect, too.
    I hope they've moved onto SSDs for most things