Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    send three forum users on each tgr spansered trip and let the whole trip be a ski off to see who gets in the movie

then review the three mags
    This is a great idea but seems better suited as a TGR filmed reality tv show. Send 12 mags to hole up in a condo for a week. ski offs and shit fights ensue until a victor emerges. Start with regional qualifiers and end the season with a National Championship. Sorry Canada, maybe next year!

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    I find their "catagory" reviews to be better.
    Thanks. I'll check those out.

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    This is a great idea but seems better suited as a TGR filmed reality tv show. Send 12 mags to hole up in a condo for a week. ski offs and shit fights ensue until a victor emerges. Start with regional qualifiers and end the season with a National Championship. Sorry Canada, maybe next year!
    Here's a simpler idea:

Fund a few mags trips to BBIEuro. Film as a reality tv-show. Buster, someone like Norseman/MoFro/TAFKALS/2Funky, and IRipOnSnow would be a fun comparison group. All ski differently but all would have valuable feedback.

Plus you get to film it at Vendul's place with his newly TGR-named bar.

P.S. Most of these skiers would never agree to be on film for this.
    P.P.S. And posting Venduls place to TGR main site would destroy it's magic. (But that may be okay with Vendul!)
    P.P.P.S. Norseman/MoFro/TAFKALS/2Funky all ski differently. But--in my limited viewing share some characteristics.
    Last edited by doebedoe; 09-22-2020 at 10:30 PM.

Buttplugs.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I would go anywhere TGR wanted to send me to test gear and ski in europe.

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I would go anywhere TGR wanted to send me to test gear and ski in europe.
    Ditto.

More backcountry gear

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    More backcountry gear

Not sure I've ever read a good comparison of lighter BC skis.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I think this is a great idea. You don't have to be the best skier on the mountain to review a ski, because most of the people looking to buy them won't be that good. Seeing how a ski performs for people at various levels makes a ton of sense. This would also include your centered-stance young jibbers vs. your tip drivers who grew up on the race team, as well as a 155 pounder vs. someone who weighs 210. And yeah, let's see some footage.
    Agreed. My daily driver is a ski that often gets ridiculed by the hardcore radbro reviews, but it's stupid easy to ski and for my 25-30 days a year, I prefer a ski that doesn't demand high performance driving to do what I want. So a review is only as good as the reviewers and how one compares to them, so focusing on the reviewers and their profiles would be more useful.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Here's a simpler idea:

Fund a few mags trips to BBIEuro. Film as a reality tv-show. Buster, someone like Norseman/MoFro/TAFKALS/2Funky, and IRipOnSnow would be a fun comparison group. All ski differently but all would have valuable feedback.

Plus you get to film it at Vendul's place with his newly TGR-named bar.

P.S. Most of these skiers would never agree to be on film for this.
    P.P.S. And posting Venduls place to TGR main site would destroy it's magic. (But that may be okay with Vendul!)
    P.P.P.S. Norseman/MoFro/TAFKALS/2Funky all ski differently. But--in my limited viewing share some characteristics.
    -I'm down!

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Buttplugs.
    Spikey ones

I'm gonna give a serious response here.....and this is as a cis hetero male.....gear reviews by WOMEN. I see LOADS of reviews, reports, etc. by dudes for dudes, but VERY VERY FEW by women who actually rip. The industry is missing out on a big demographic here.....

Stuff not related to skiing so that this thread dies the death it deserves?

More than a particular focus on gear, it would be great to have reviews reflect the experiences of different riders with different body types.

The review of a huge 6' 215lbs guy provides very little useful information for users of average and slight builds.

The average height for a US male is 5'10" and the average woman is 5'4". The global averages are 5'8" (male) and 5'2" (female), for example.

This means that half the population are below these averages, and half are above.

Yet, most reviews (and gear) skew toward the oversized US male, with even fewer regards for female riders.

Quote Originally Posted by motogreg View Post
    I'm gonna give a serious response here.....and this is as a cis hetero male.....gear reviews by WOMEN. I see LOADS of reviews, reports, etc. by dudes for dudes, but VERY VERY FEW by women who actually rip. The industry is missing out on a big demographic here.....
    co-signed

I should like Indy vs brand gear. Same target Rossi vs on3p for example. Cast vs marker.

I rip the groomed on tele gear

The original 2006/7 DPS lotus 120 profile, both flex 2 and 3.
    One of those times someone got something right early.

I'd love me a pair of 190s.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Skis (and ski gear in general) are hard to review because choices and styles are so dependent on skill level, style, and use cases. As I don't expect TGR to be pumping out all that many reviews, you're going to be randomly picking one model in a sea of models and it will be outdated the next year or two anyways. Ski boots suffer from all the same problems except additionally fit is paramount, individual, and you probably have to check it in person. You might have more luck with outerwear, or maybe try and focus on reviews of gear from lesser known or Jackson hole/local manufacturers. I like the idea of niche products that deserve a bigger niche like CAST getting a spotlight.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    I think there is a big hole in ski media for review videos.

- Pinkbike and Bike Mag do a great job
    with the field tests and bible of bike review videos. Following that formula would be great.

- Some head to head comparison videos with some ski stoke / top gear style antics would be great. Book a few BC cat days and video a group of skiers reviewing and comparing the current RR/superfat offerings.... Compare some groomerzoomers with a timed/staged gaper slalom.... Test some chargers by putting an accelerometer on the tips and pinning it through some spicy line...

- I like Stab’s: Shot in the Dark series. They have 10 surfboard shapers make a pro a board and he surfs them all and try’s to pick who made what and what his favorite is... you could do this with blacked out top sheets and bases. I’m sure the smaller builders would participate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bumping my previous post. Where did TGR end up with new review content?

I really believe there is a hole in the ski media for a webseries of quality/entertaining ski reviews.

I wonder if there are any "ex-pro" athletes, who are currently sponsorless, who would be great fit for a such a webseries?
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

i want to hear what pros think about the skis we frequently ski and compare them to other models

i want video paired with a particular description. when you say it pivots, show it pivoting well. otherwise there is massive subjectivity skier to skier

i want to see the skier in action. a video montage of them on that particular ski

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    i want to hear what pros think about the skis we frequently ski and compare them to other models

i want video paired with a particular description. when you say it pivots, show it pivoting well. otherwise there is massive subjectivity skier to skier

i want to see the skier in action. a video montage of them on that particular ski
    If you ask Pros what they think about a certain ski, they will give you the company/sponsor line in order to keep their sponsors happy. It’s the reason for the Blister Ethos, and why certain ski manufacturers ran multiple expensive page adds in ski publications and magically had great reviews for skis for that year.

A better idea might be find a retired pro, one not connected to a ski company, Seth Morris, and have them give you their opinion on what makes a ski good. I’m not saying he will do it or is even interested, just a name of a bad ass who isn’t connected to any ski brand.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Ask Benny Wilson, I bet you would get some hilarious content!

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    If you ask Pros what they think about a certain ski, they will give you the company/sponsor line in order to keep their sponsors happy. It’s the reason for the Blister Ethos, and why certain ski manufacturers ran multiple expensive page adds in ski publications and magically had great reviews for skis for that year.

A better idea might be find a retired pro, one not connected to a ski company, Seth Morris, and have them give you their opinion on what makes a ski good. I’m not saying he will do it or is even interested, just a name of a bad ass who isn’t connected to any ski brand.

good point. in my head i was thinking an honest review from a pro, but yeah, no such thing. would they be off their leash if they were reviewing another company? prolly not, cuz they'd be worried about blacklisting themselves from ever switching sponsors