Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    180

    Timberline, Meadows or Skibowl?

    Looking to take a chance on a ski vacation this winter, we have a spot to stay with some friends in Gov Camp. I've never been to any of these 3 spots, curious which may be the most family friendly ( skiers aged 7-11, mix of begineers and intermediate shredders...)

    What's the maggot opinion of Skibowl, Timberline and Meadows?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    22,604
    SkiBowl has some fantastic terrain, particulary the upper bowl but it's low so it rains a lot there. If you're in govy and you can call audibles on the morning and it's cold and has snowed, hit Ski Bowl.
    Timberline is really flat, good for beginners and intermediates, but nothing for experts.
    MHM has the best terrain (Ski Bowl has a higher percentage one might argue) but it can be such a fecalfest crowds wise, for the money, I'd only go there if conditions suck elsewhere.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    1,541
    Quote Originally Posted by ExPowderSnob View Post
    Looking to take a chance on a ski vacation this winter, we have a spot to stay with some friends in Gov Camp. I've never been to any of these 3 spots, curious which may be the most family friendly ( skiers aged 7-11, mix of begineers and intermediate shredders...)

    What's the maggot opinion of Skibowl, Timberline and Meadows?
    If family-friendly is the priority, Timberline is the answer. Buster summarized well above.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    22,604
    Timberline lodge itself is extremely cool, walk around in there a little if you get the chance, the restaurant got a lot better there too,
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Portland by way of Bozeman
    Posts
    3,396
    All of the above is accurate.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    401
    I love all three. Try to hit em all.

    Ski Bowl for night skiing should definitely be on your list.

    I hope you have a great trip.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    5,060
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    SkiBowl has some fantastic terrain, particulary the upper bowl but it's low so it rains a lot there. If you're in govy and you can call audibles on the morning and it's cold and has snowed, hit Ski Bowl.
    Timberline is really flat, good for beginners and intermediates, but nothing for experts.
    MHM has the best terrain (Ski Bowl has a higher percentage one might argue) but it can be such a fecalfest crowds wise, for the money, I'd only go there if conditions suck elsewhere.
    ^ Yes. Plus avoid MHM on a weekend. Just an FYI, all of Ski Bowls lifts are Riblet doubles with original chairs, some little ones and moms are unsortable in them. T Line has all HSQ and the new (ish) lift, Jeff Flood makes it less boring there

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Posts
    1,822
    Fun Fact: The outside of Timberline Lodge was filmed as The Overlook Hotel in The Shining.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    PNWET
    Posts
    3,904
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200602_120300.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	587.7 KB 
ID:	340968
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    180
    Awesome intel, I am in your debt!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Park City
    Posts
    3,656
    We always said the fecalfest at MHM just made bachelor that much closer.

    Love ski bowl...especially at night when itís more likely to be snowing.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm Hood View Post
    I love all three. Try to hit em all.

    Ski Bowl for night skiing should definitely be on your list.

    I hope you have a great trip.
    And Bachelor for the multi-day trips.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Timberline lodge itself is extremely cool, walk around in there a little if you get the chance, the restaurant got a lot better there too,

    +1

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    401
    When will you be in Govy? I would build a plan more centered on when you are in town and how long you can stay.

    Also, Bach is great, but sorry friends, if I have lodging in Govy, I am not driving 95 miles for it. Certainly tag it on to the end or the beginning of the trip, but otherwise soak up the Govy vibe and access the local lifts.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    50 miles E of Paradise
    Posts
    10,169
    Quote Originally Posted by ExPowderSnob View Post
    Awesome intel, I am in your debt!
    You can repay that debt by teaching jonesy to post photos correctly...
    Check Out Ullr's Mobile Avalanche Safety Tools for iOS and Android
    www.ullrlabs.com

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    PNWET
    Posts
    3,904
    Name:  jj.JPG.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  24.1 KB
    Tbs hs graduation pic
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    50 miles E of Paradise
    Posts
    10,169
    Hey, you got that oriented oriented correctly. One in a row!
    Check Out Ullr's Mobile Avalanche Safety Tools for iOS and Android
    www.ullrlabs.com

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    No longer Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    1,799
    Would love to finally meet tbs and understand how he drinks beers with a joint in mouth and gold feather apparatus through the septum

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Portland by way of Bozeman
    Posts
    3,396
    Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    Would love to finally meet tbs and understand how he drinks beers with a joint in mouth and gold feather apparatus through the septum
    Very carefully, obvi

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    inpdx
    Posts
    14,067
    temp got to 32 last night at 7300' per MHM CSX telemetry

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    191
    Meadows can be a real fluster cluck. I think they staff just short of minimum.

    ,The thing I did enjoy at Meadows was that, the place is a good ski area to ski with a partner who is not able to ski terrain as steep as you are. They can ski the groomers and you can have a great time by traversing above the groomer that your partner is skiing. You just hold your traverse and keep your eyes on the slopes below you. Fantastic tree skiing can be found in those trees. There is some very good terrain to be had in this manner. Then you either meet your partner on the groomer or at the base lift. Each of you can have runs that are challenging and rewarding. It can be very entertaining on a power day

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    50 miles E of Paradise
    Posts
    10,169
    Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    Would love to finally meet tbs and understand how he drinks beers with a joint in mouth and gold feather apparatus through the septum
    I has skillz
    Check Out Ullr's Mobile Avalanche Safety Tools for iOS and Android
    www.ullrlabs.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •