Robert W. Gore, (Gore-Tex fabric), dead at 83

Robert W. Gore, whose invention of what created the breathable-yet-waterproof fabric known as Gore-Tex revolutionized outdoor wear and helped spawn uses in numerous other fields, has died. He was 83.

Gore, who was president of W. L. Gore & Associates for almost 25 years and company chairman for 30 years, died on Thursday at a family home in Maryland following a prolonged illness, company spokesperson Amy Calhoun confirmed Saturday.Gore discovered a new form of a polymer in 1969 at a company lab in Newark, Delaware. His father, who began the company, asked Bob Gore to research a new way to manufacturer plumber’s tape at a low cost using PTFE, commonly known as DuPont’s Teflon, The News Journal of Wilmington reported.

The son figured out that by stretching PTFE with a sudden yank, the polymer expanded by 1,000 percent. The resulting product, known as ePTFE, created a microporous structure. The introduction of Gore-Tex technology came seven years later.“It was truly a pivot point in this company’s history,” Greg Hannon, W.L. Gore & Associates’ chief technology officer, said last year. “Without which we would be much less significant of an organization than we are today.”

The membrane within Gore-Tex fabric has billions of pores that are smaller than water droplets, leading to waterproof but breathable raincoats, shoes and other clothing. The patents ultimately led to countless other uses with medical devices, guitar strings and in space travel, the company said.

Gore was born in Utah, the oldest of five children to Bill and Vieve Gore, who both founded the company in 1958. Bill Gore had previously joined DuPont’s workforce and ultimately came to Delaware.

Bob Gore earned his bachelor’s degree in chemical engineering from the University of Delaware and advanced degrees from the University of Minnesota. He succeeded his father as the company’s president and CEO in 1976. Gore and his family contributed funds for buildings and engineering laboratories at the University of Delaware.

Gore is survived by his wife, Jane, as well as children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Memorial plans weren’t immediately announced by the company.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/busines....ric-dead-at-83
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

A legend in Delaware. Only after DuPont!

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Sparkin one for Bob, thanks for keeping me dry, bruh.

Has anyone tried putting him in the dryer for a while?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Has anyone tried putting him in the dryer for a while?
    I heard he delaminated.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    I heard he delaminated.
    Warranty issue then
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

The family will need to have the original receipt.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Ok so if you were Bob, do you wana be wearing a cheap suit in that coffin ?

Or the latest something something from Arcterxy ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I particularly love my gore-tex pro 3l stuff, however not so much the non “pro” 3l or 2l stuff. The gore Tex pro stuff lasts years, stays waterproof without retreating often, doesn’t rip as easily when snagged on sharp shit, so and so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Ok so if you were Bob, do you wana be wearing a cheap suit in that coffin ?

Or the latest something something from Arcterxy ?
    Coffin? Just wrap the guy in goretex and create a whole new use for the miracle fabric.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Gore vascular grafts are the gold standard for artificial small vessel vascular grafts, as goretex is the gold standard for waterproof breathable fabric. But you better use goretex suture as well or the needle holes leak like a sieve--just like you need to tape the needle holes in goretex rain gear.

Rest in peace Mr. Gore. Thanks for keeping me comfortable in the PNW.

Is the lifetime warranty the useful life of the garment, my lifetime, or his lifetime?

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Coffin? Just wrap the guy in goretex and create a whole new use for the miracle fabric.
    Will it make him breathe again?