Bibby/wildcat coming off rockered Gotama?

I have ridden the 2010 volkl Gotama (first rocker year 106 underfoot) the last 10 years and have no experience on any other wide ski but need something with more float that is still versatile. I have a 180 brahma for ice. After reading a bunch of reviews I picked up a pair of 2017-18 (return to the old build) Bibby Pro 190 but I can't really find anything comparing the Gotama to the Bibby or anything similar.

The opportunity to demo any variety of skis at my local Montana hill is pretty much non-existent. The Mountain is a fun moderate pitch but you need to head into the trees to find anything challenging. After a few good powder days last year I found myself in the trees looking for something with more float and maybe something a little more maneuverable but that will still hold an edge and won't buckle under my weight if I open it up on open terrain and groomers.

Background: I am 6'1" 215 and fit, 37 y/o, high advanced skier (but def not expert probably due to mediocre technique more smearing less carving). I like to push it through trees (and moguls) but am doing more pivoting than carving and don't need to go mach speed in there.

After reading more reviews/threads, I am a little concerned that they may be more ski than I would like when I slow it down a bit in the trees. Will my weight negate this issue? With that said, I finally took the Bibby out of the box and was flexing them next to my 186 Gotama and was surprised that the Gotama clearly feel stiffer than the Bibby. Since this Gotama is a full rocker ski (not apples to apples) does the hand flex comparison not really matter or is it fair to say that the Bibby would actually be a little more maneuverable and fun in tight spots?

Before I put a second mount on these Bibby, I have started toying with going toward something easier like a used Atomic automatic 184 or 193 (it seems like the bentchetler would not be good soft for variable days or groomers). Easier and a little more manueverable than my Gotama sounds nice but I also don't like getting bucked around in variable conditions at speed.

Given all that, how do you think the Bibby 190 compares to my Gotama. Should I look to the Automatic instead? I know that the Gotama or not the same type of ski as these wider ones but it is the only basis of comparison I have.

Thoughts?

What length are you skiing in the Gotama?

I think the Bibby is a really fun, pretty easy ski that still has some backbone and can charge a bit, but it wouldn't be my first choice for noodling around in tight, low angle trees. It does want some speed and a little room to run to come alive. I'm 6' 165lb and ski the 190s, so I definitely don't think they'd be too much ski at your weight, but maybe not strictly the ideal one for your use case.

If you decide to catch and release them I might be interested, let me know.

Thanks for the quick reply. 186 Gotama. Side by side the 190 Bibby is about 1 cm longer. Any experience on the Gotama?

Bibby/wildcat coming off rockered Gotama?

Don’t second guess yourself. The 190 Bibby should be an excellent ski for someone of your weight and ability.

Don’t try to compare them to the Gotamas. They will be easier to ski in most situations, and IMO will exceed your expectations.

I haven't skied the Gotama recently enough to have any real thoughts.

Definitely agree with Superior that they won't be too much ski for your size and ability. They're not a demanding ski at all.

Mount up the Bibbys. They are such a versatile ski. You should be fine. If you’re not fine Right away, it’s probably just a matter of skiing them a couple extra days to get used to a little more ski. I’ve seen intermediates your size get on the 190s and take just a few runs to get used to them. In tight stuff they will feel like more ski, however they have a lot of rocker which kind of negates that.

My 2 cents:

I skied the same Gotama for about 3 years. I can't speak to the Bibby in particular, but I did ski on the Garbones for a few years as well. Putting the 2x4 nature of the Garbones aside, the rocker profile and shape was a bit different than something like the Gotama or Shiro.

IMO something with a bit more of a pintail would ski similar to the Gotama, particularly in the trees. I think the automatic 109 fits the bill, maybe the older Candide 3.0 (107mm). I would guess that the Wildcat would fit the bill more than the Bibbys, but I admittedly can't speak much towards Moment having not skied them for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMarkus View Post
    I would guess that the Wildcat would fit the bill more than the Bibbys, but I admittedly can't speak much towards Moment having not skied them for a while now.
    Wildcat is literally the same shape and rocker profile as the Bibby. It's the same ski.

The 190 bibby will not be too much in the trees at your weight. Super easy to pivot and break loose. You're gonna love your purchase.

I enjoy skiing stiff full rockered skis inbounds, and while I haven't been on the gotama, the 190 bibby is at least as easy (if not easier, and much more fun/can make more turn shapes) than the 185 cochise or the 190 katana. They do come alive at higher speed (one of my all time favorites for hauling balls through tricky trees), but I have no issue breaking them into slarves or pushing them around at moderate speed, and that's at 5'10 180ish

Thanks for the feedback everyone. It sounds like my weight will help the Bibby fit where I hoped it would. I am still gonna chew on this a bit, so if anyone else can speak to this directly it is definitely appreciated. At the same time I feel pretty good about mounting up the Bibby.

Death Markus, I think what you are saying about the pintail makes sense and I am giving that some thought too. It might be fun to have something that behaves a little differently in the quiver...

side note: I am still taken back a bit by the stiffness of my Gotama compared to the Bibby but I guess when a ski already has no camber, you don't want them flexing that much more.

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim83 View Post
    side note: I am still taken back a bit by the stiffness of my Gotama compared to the Bibby but I guess when a ski already has no camber, you don't want them flexing that much more.
    Nailed it, a fully rockered ski needs to be really stiff to work well, cambered skis are a different animal all together. Everyone loves the Bibby, you should feel very good about mounting them up. Go ski em!
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Wildcat is literally the same shape and rocker profile as the Bibby. It's the same ski.
    close, but I noticed the weight difference between Bibby and Wildcat. Wildcat was a bit easier to ski all day and throw around, while the Bibbys were more damp and steadfast. This years wildcat seems to fill the gap between, with the added weight

bahaha doebedoe have you considered the difference in *steadfastness* while comparing the two???

In all reality irie - they're the same ski. josh bibby doesn't ski for moment any more so they renamed it wildcat. There have been many small differences year to year, and while we could all benefit from an ontological diatribe or ship of theseus refresher, it's the same ski

The ski of bibbeus - I like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^ is this a play on words of the Ship of Theseus? If so, way to pay attention in Phil 101

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    bahaha doebedoe have you considered the difference in *steadfastness* while comparing the two???

In all reality irie - they're the same ski. josh bibby doesn't ski for moment any more so they renamed it wildcat. There have been many small differences year to year, and while we could all benefit from an ontological diatribe or ship of theseus refresher, it's the same ski
    I knew I was forgetting something.

Deathwish of 14/15 vs 19/20 feels more different than the Bibby of 12/13 vs Wildcat of 19/20 due to stiffness increases. But it's still a deathwish.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    ^^ is this a play on words of the Ship of Theseus? If so, way to pay attention in Phil 101

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus
    Yes but have to give credit to sruffian for raising the point first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk