Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Town really went to shit around 1890. Fucking transplants.

(Don't come to Missoula; go to Bozeman with all the cool kids. Or Boulder, because driving 1+ hours to ski is A++. Plus weed is legal there.)
    Plus, UM will probably pay you to go there at this point.
    They're struggling with enrollment. Hard.

FTG

Quote Originally Posted by pyromaniacman129 View Post
    Plus, UM will probably pay you to go there at this point.
    They're struggling with enrollment. Hard.

FTG

Serious question...not to be a smartass....but how does one claim residency in a state they are going to college in? (say VT)

I keep hearing this from people about doing that for my kids.....but from what I read, it’s not possible....at least in VT.

Anybody have any info on this?

Usually be able to prove you've lived in that state for 12 prior months through income taxes or DL.

Seems like this year would be a great gap year for people to go ski bum and establish residency.

^^ This varies by school. Some allow you to establish in state status while a student - I did that at U of Utah. Some require you to not be a student for a 12-month window before enrollment.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    Serious question...not to be a smartass....but how does one claim residency in a state they are going to college in? (say VT)

I keep hearing this from people about doing that for my kids.....but from what I read, it’s not possible....at least in VT.

Anybody have any info on this?
    it’s on the googlez - https://www.uvm.edu/registrar/residency-policy

every school has different requirements

Used to be so easy when I went to Missoula. Worked in town one summer, walked into the registrar with a few check stubs and she was like, okay, sure.

Not anymore. They need those outta state bucks big time.

Quote Originally Posted by pyromaniacman129 View Post
    Also if you have the gram, follow @hipstersofbozeman. Lotsa gold.
    Sweet tip, thx.

For a while in the 80s some of the folks on my AK fire crew were wintering in Bozeman. I’d go hang out and ski at BB. Seemed really nice, Glenn Close’s sister was running the Leaf & Bean (double-take, looked like GC), or whatever that was, and Russell Chatham’s paintings were cheap. I should have bought a house, but at $10k they seemed too pricey. I was a fool.

MSO is too overcast in winter. Stay away.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    MSO is too overcast in winter. Stay away.
    Not nearly as bad as it used to be though, since they closed the paper mill. Doesn't smell like dirty diapers anymore either. But yeah it does get more inversion than Bozeman.

Quote Originally Posted by blackalps View Post
    Also dating in Golden sucks, you basically have to date in Denver or Boulder and then have a commute to get to your girlfriend or vice versa. and even then, there's far more men then women in Menver so the odds aren't in your favor if you aren't super fit and wealthy. .
    that pretty much explained alot and is spot on

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    it’s on the googlez - https://www.uvm.edu/registrar/residency-policy

every school has different requirements
    Thx...yeah, that’s the doc I read that killed the residency idea.....but people kept mentioning it to me...so I figured maybe there was a double secret probation residency program that knowledgeable mags knew about.

Friends kids currently all go to U of U and Utah State...and they all got residency pretty easily...so it definitely varies by school/state.

Thx...yeah, that’s the doc I read that killed the residency idea.....but people kept mentioning it to me...so I figured maybe there was a double secret probation residency program that knowledgeable mags knew about.

Friends kids currently all go to U of U and Utah State...and they all got residency pretty easily...so it definitely varies by school/state.
    This UofU is easy I paid out of state one year stayed the summer had a job and that was it. CU Boulder makes it really difficult....I think it is 3 years.

Establishing residency is usually much easier for grad school, but for undergrad, they assume you are still on your parents' dime, and make it MUCH harder.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by steadieflow View Post
    This UofU is easy I paid out of state one year stayed the summer had a job and that was it. CU Boulder makes it really difficult....I think it is 3 years.
    Back when I was at CU I had to declare emancipation and get parents to funnel my tuition through some other account to prove I was independent. I was able to get in-state my sophomore year and saved a ridiculous amount of money. My student loans still suck even with in-state. This was in 08.

Shortly after that I started seeing chalk advertisements for a company who helped you go through the process and then I heard they changed the law to make it extremely difficult.

I also skied a shit load and traffic was not bad at all. Man, the front range has changed. Going to CU was the best decision I ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by toastybroski View Post
    <snip>
    I also skied a shit load and traffic was not bad at all. Man, the front range has changed. Going to CU was the best decision I ever made.
    In '08? Traffic sucked then, too. You're probably remembering through rose-colored glasses, having been in college and all.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    In '08? Traffic sucked then, too. You're probably remembering through rose-colored glasses, having been in college and all.
    Probably sitting in the passenger seat shit faced with no concept of time... It was still bad but not nearly as bad as now. You could still beat traffic leaving at 7 back then instead of 5:30.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by toastybroski View Post
    Probably sitting in the passenger seat shit faced with no concept of time...
    This still works.
    It was still bad but not nearly as bad as now.
    No argument there.

There's no workaround in Vermont. 3 years prior to 1st kid entering and establishing residency is not as easy as just having a vacation home in the state. BITD entering classes at UVM had to be at least 50% in-state. Then they got greedy and did away with that rule to rake in the bucks from the trustafarians from Greenwich.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Establishing residency is usually much easier for grad school, but for undergrad, they assume you are still on your parents' dime, and make it MUCH harder.
    Very true. My daughter went to grad school in Mobile, AL. To establish residency she got a library card on a trip to find an apartment 2 months before she started. It was that easy...

Middlebury. Decent school, you have your own little hill just to get quick turns, and pretty good choices in Vermont within, at the most, an hour.

Lot of good advice in here, but 2 things I would mention. College is fun because you are in college, smaller college towns amplify that. Skiing is fun, but ski-towns amplify that. Being around like minded people in concentration is a great experience
    I love Salt Lake, went to High school there and lived there again in my 20s but not a college or ski town, although it has colleges and great skiing nearby.

Your life, your experience, my 3 pennies short for Change for a Nickel.

edit, to add look into places that support a semester or a year abroad. I loved my time in Scotland, but kicked myself for not skiin on the Continent more. In hindsight could have studied in Austria, Swisstown France, etc. Or Japan for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by blackalps View Post
    if I might re-direct the thread a bit...

Looks like I may (knock on wood) be getting a remote job. Can live anywhere in the US, as long as I have a solid internet connection. the bummer is that it's M-F, and since the company is on the east coast, if I'm living in MST, I have to work 5:45-3. so, weekday early morning BC sessions are out. They said I can move my schedule around some, but not drastically, and not the morning part since they have a daily meeting right at 5:45. Not something I'm going to do forever, but also not something I can turn down in the current economy.

so where's a good spot to live if I can live anywhere (it's just me and my dog) but have to ski mostly weekends for a ski season or two? This coming season, I'd be fine with it being all backcountry. I worked a M-F 9 to 5 in Denver last season before the pandemic hit, I'd rather move to Flagstaff and ride bikes in Sedona all winter than deal with weekend 70 traffic all season again. I'm totally fine with living somewhere rural as long as I have good internet and access to skiing.
    Man... if it was me, I'd just plan on moving every 6 months to somewhere new. I found Flag to be entertaining when I lived there for a few months way back when (wouldn't want to live there permanently, but it's a cool place). Summer rolls around... head north. You ever been to the Canadian Rockies? Assuming things are "sorta normal" by next summer, that would be high on my list of locations.

Also - 05:45MST is 13:45CEST in Zurich... just throwing that out there. And Europe, generally speaking, has really good internet.

Quote Originally Posted by tony3 View Post
    Everybody is different. It turns out that I am completely goal oriented but I didn't know it at the time. I started college as a 17yo with no idea about the real world and almost drowned. My father freaked when I told him I was dropping out to go skiing for a year. My mother smiled. (She had moved to the Alps for 3 years after college in the mid '50s) When my dad had cooled off he told me "If you dont get anybody pregnant and dont buy anything on payments you can go back to school whenever you want". A few years in Mammoth and I had become a good (never expert) skier, met my girlfriend (now wife of 30+ years), took up backpacking and started backcountry skiing ... and worked summers in construction... 'Started as a laborer on chairs 22 & 23 and McCoy Station and was the engineers assistant by the end of the summer. Once I figured out I wanted to be a Structural Engineer school was easy. At 17 I had no clue, at 21 I was motivated, picked my school for the program and breezed thru.

My oldest went to Bozeman and loved it. He skied and fly fished a lot and managed to get a 3.0 BS in 4 years... Bridger is a great mountain. People say the town is different but you don't know that. All is relative. Where ever you go it will be new to you.

My neighbor's son went to western washington and skied and climbed a bunch. Bend has an infamous junior college and Bachelor and Smith Rocks...

Godspeed!
    Bend now has Oregon State University Cascade Campus they share with the infamous COCC on the Rock just 20 minutes from Mt Bachelor.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    pretty good choices in Vermont
    Oxymoron
    Quote Originally Posted by hortence View Post
    When I did twice the work for half the control, I was a whiny little bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Middlebury. Decent school ...
    I laughed.

Well, look at the crowd mentioned otherwise. It ain't exactly the Ivy League.