Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    Honestly, I haven't gotten that far yet. Writing is my one passion aside from skiing and climbing so probably either journalism or creative writing.

real talk. I have a creative liberal arts degree and taught the same discipline in college for 6 years after I graduated. Don't waste your time and money going to school for creative writing unless your parents are paying 100% of your tuition costs. Do not, under any circumstances, take out loans for a BFA. It is not worth it.

The college town is fading fast. It surely is not Boulder.
    Nor is it really Bozeman anymore.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I spent my freshman year at UNC. Then I took a gap year (or 6) and finished at Weber State while still skiing 100+ days a year. Worked out ok for me.

Ogden. Duh.
    Arguably the best ski town in the US if one factors in availability of jobs and affordable housing with less than a 30 minute drive to the lifts.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

2 gap years in a real mountain town. Use your creative writing skills and see if you can start freelancing as a copy editor or writer while skiing as often as possible and working as minimal as possible. Sew your wild oats a bit and ski a ton. Then worry about school.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexC View Post
    You have your whole life to ski so don't sacrifice the quality of your education to ski more now. Instead, study something that will enable a career that will let you live in a ski town AND have flexible hours.
    I wouldn't trade my four years at Wasted State for anything. And I landed a great job when I was 23 and ski more than most people I know.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Ogden. Duh.
    Arguably the best ski town in the US if one factors in availability of jobs and affordable housing with less than a 30 minute drive to the lifts.
    if you factor in the subtraction of an annual -150" of snowfall and corresponding base depth loss and -10k to -50K of didnt 210 the L2xCC gnar points
    it certainly changes arguability
    for some
    id tell ya "if ya only knew"
    i know otzilpalace dont haz the sames ring to it
    as ice
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

That is a thought but Wake has already gone back to in-person learning. Either way, no one knows what is in store for the next academic year.
    with those kind of search skills are you really a candidate for a four year college?
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    if you factor in the subtraction of an annual -150" of snowfall and corresponding base depth loss and -10k to -50K of didnt 210 the L2xCC gnar points
    it certainly changes arguability
    for some
    id tell ya "if ya only knew"
    i know otzilpalace dont haz the sames ring to it
    as ice
    Factoring in the Brothers Meat, Alleged and Ogden Summer Nights might counterbalance the 150" more in the *ccs. That and the lines at Strawberry.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

UofU, UNR, UW, CU in that order. UVB if you want to stay on the east coast.

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    with those kind of search skills are you really a candidate for a four year college?
    What?
    swing your fucking sword.

What?
    what is the drive from boulder to loveland?

dammit, i am never going to get back into college
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

I still don't think I understand. Are you saying that I am incompetent for asking how far two places are from one another rather than googling it?

I would avoid taking anything too personally around here.

Quote Originally Posted by ASmileyFace View Post
    I would avoid taking anything too personally around here.
    Still working on that. I am a bit of a sensitive child.

X

son lucky you have come to the right place a guy like me who moved to a ski town around age 19 can lead you down the right path
    I too as you mentioned worked hard to get a bfa in liturature and acting I would only suggest going down that path if you have a trust fund like I did to pay for your education
    if you don't fuck school and move to a ski town now education is over rated in todays world
    hell I barely got out of highschool my brother and me had a contest to see who could take the ged the most times
    always keep in mind that consider the ratio of pussy to beef stew when considering a ski town don't kid yourself it can get ugly out there and tinder only does so much for a guy

on the other hand things have worked out like you wouldn't belive I pull over six figures live in a million dollar house smoke dope all day ever day
    I let my dog out the door a half hour ago and I know he's down in town barking at small children and looking for table scraps he means well
    right now I mostly pretend to live an active lifestyle like I used to
    I brag about how back in the day I used to ski 100 days a year shred the knar and mountain bike but after awhile that stuff doesn't matter it's just that you did it once so you have the stories to impress people

life is too short to waste it listening to some teacher whose only reason for teaching is they can't do anything else in life
    I pretty sure I can teach you everything you know
    isn't the iowa writers workshop near a ski area? columbia was my second pick for grad school hunter counts right?

Sweet blog

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    No and yes.
    I think you meant, yes and no. But maybe not?
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Heh, my daughter (Not a skier) was accepted to Westminster, but ended up going to Arizona State. Why? Because Westminster has dorm rooms the parents can rent!
    She overheard me with one of my ski buddies scheming. “Dude, it’s only $175 to fly to SLC. With no hotel cost, we can get season passes at Alta!”
    “Daddy the dorms are only for parents”
    “well, just tell them you have two dads. Easy”

That was not the right response...

I've heard good things about Bozeman, MT. Also I would listen to what fastfred said, don't undervalue a good "ratio of pussy to beef stew"

Hey man, I'll sum up my path for you may help may not. I went to college because my parents wanted me to, I had no interest so I picked Colorado State. I skied 40 days a season at Winter Park. Dropped out of college junior year and became a nighttime janitor. Skiied a lot, the job sucked balls.......which was the motivation I needed to move back to the midwest to finish up the degree. I knew if I stayed in the mountains I would fail. I buckled down finished the degree in 2.5 years. Graduated, spent year one living in my truck and skiing a lot. Year two I rented an apartment from a maggot, got a job on snowmaking crew, which led to a job on cat crew at Alta, cruised back to Michigan for 6 months working 80 hours a week saved as much as I could. I spent ten years doing going back and forth. I live in Tahoe, Carbondale, and Utah working at various ski resorts. I was able to buy a modest house in MI, rented it the months I was out west and would cruise back each spring. While doing this I got my real estate license. You could buy a fixer upper in my town for about $50k. So I got licensed, got with the bank, and tried flipping a house. First go was rough, barely broke even, second one was better, and so on. Building my business took me away from skiing for about 5 years, as in I skied maybe at most 2 weeks a season. I never planned on that happening but a business, wife, kids etc. Now I'm 4 to 5 years away from being done. I will be just shy of 50 and still have plenty of skiing left in me. My wife and I purchased some property in Colorado and plan on splitting our time between there and Michigan. While I have never regretted the college degree, I never really used it. I was self employed from the day I graduated outside of the typical season ski bum jobs. Never have had or created a resume. Nothing I did in my life required a college degree. The truth is I went to college to please my parents..........even with the degree I'm pretty sure I still disappointed them, but hey I found what works for me and I'm happy. The end.

What is the best college ski town?

NYC. Work/live on Wall St; storm chase with the boss’s heli straight out of South St Seaport. You’re welcome.

CU boulder is the place to be. Great town and great skiing within 1:30 at A-Basin and Loveland.

Do yourself a favor....have a car...and don't waste your time at Eldora.

Ogden, UT

-signed someone who actually moved there for college and graduated from WSU.