Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Everybody is different. It turns out that I am completely goal oriented but I didn't know it at the time. I started college as a 17yo with no idea about the real world and almost drowned. My father freaked when I told him I was dropping out to go skiing for a year. My mother smiled. (She had moved to the Alps for 3 years after college in the mid '50s) When my dad had cooled off he told me "If you dont get anybody pregnant and dont buy anything on payments you can go back to school whenever you want". A few years in Mammoth and I had become a good (never expert) skier, met my girlfriend (now wife of 30+ years), took up backpacking and started backcountry skiing ... and worked summers in construction... 'Started as a laborer on chairs 22 & 23 and McCoy Station and was the engineers assistant by the end of the summer. Once I figured out I wanted to be a Structural Engineer school was easy. At 17 I had no clue, at 21 I was motivated, picked my school for the program and breezed thru.

My oldest went to Bozeman and loved it. He skied and fly fished a lot and managed to get a 3.0 BS in 4 years... Bridger is a great mountain. People say the town is different but you don't know that. All is relative. Where ever you go it will be new to you.

My neighbor's son went to western washington and skied and climbed a bunch. Bend has an infamous junior college and Bachelor and Smith Rocks...

Godspeed!

Bozeman sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by tony3 View Post
    Everybody is different. It turns out that I am completely goal oriented but I didn't know it at the time. I started college as a 17yo with no idea about the real world and almost drowned. My father freaked when I told him I was dropping out to go skiing for a year. My mother smiled. (She had moved to the Alps for 3 years after college in the mid '50s) When my dad had cooled off he told me "If you dont get anybody pregnant and dont buy anything on payments you can go back to school whenever you want". A few years in Mammoth and I had become a good (never expert) skier, met my girlfriend (now wife of 30+ years), took up backpacking and started backcountry skiing ... and worked summers in construction... 'Started as a laborer on chairs 22 & 23 and McCoy Station and was the engineers assistant by the end of the summer. Once I figured out I wanted to be a Structural Engineer school was easy. At 17 I had no clue, at 21 I was motivated, picked my school for the program and breezed thru.

My oldest went to Bozeman and loved it. He skied and fly fished a lot and managed to get a 3.0 BS in 4 years... Bridger is a great mountain. People say the town is different but you don't know that. All is relative. Where ever you go it will be new to you.

Godspeed!
    Did you heed your dad's advise, or did you get your GF/wife preggers?
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Currently at UVM (grad school), and I think it's at least got to be on the list, if not high. Burlington is a freaking awesome city in terms of things to do. We would late season skin Mansfield in the morning and go to the beach in the afternoon. The bar and food scene is great, the school is great academically, and a large - LARGE - portion of the student body skis, mountain bikes, hikes, and does other outdoor stuff. The connections in the ski industry are crazy. I know a bunch of kids who take classes M/W/F or T/Th and ski 4-5 days a week. Stowe, Smuggs, Sugarbush, Bolton, MRG all within an hour, Killington, Jay, Burke, even Tremblant if you get bored within 3. Yeah it's expensive if your not in state, but I've really enjoyed my time here. It may not have the big time western mountains, but it's definitely one of the best college ski towns, especially considering the caliber of the education. Feel free to PM me if you want to know more

Nearly as I can tell, it's mandatory to occasionally tell someone, doesn't matter who, that Bozeman isn't what it used to be if you live within the city limits and have been here more than 3 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    go to either UNC or Wake and make my parents happy or go to a school that will make me happy.
    My parents wanted me to go to the state school where i grew up in Wisconsin, but I wanted to go ski out west. They wouldn't pay for anything out of state unless I proved myself locally, so they said go to UW. So I took the SAT instead of the ACT on purpose. You had to take the ACT to get into the state uni, so that forced me going out of state. I figured if they wouldn't pay out of state, fine fuck them I'm going to be a ski bum. Then my parents divorced at 18 and my mom fought for control of college tuition and won. Thank god, my asshole Dad would never have given me college money outside Wisconsin. So, my point is last-resort be really dishonest with your parents to get out west and get them divorced, I dunno. Worked for me.

I moved to Bozeman and enrolled at MSU. Had a similar 'creative' major to yours, so easy work load at school, and tons of skiing. Do lotsa internships (wish I did) and don't give a flying fuck about being perfect. Make sure your writing is solid, and work hard at some job. No one has ever asked where I graduated from or what my GPA is. My guess is you show them your work history and samples of writing and that's all ya need. Don't waste your youth chasing the rats to their holes. Plenty of old guys die right before they retire.

Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    Nearly as I can tell, it's mandatory to occasionally tell someone, doesn't matter who, that Bozeman isn't what it used to be if you live within the city limits and have been here more than 3 weeks.
    Heh.

Salt Lake was the best ski town years ago. It was so good I didn't graduate till I was 53. True story!

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    fine fuck them I'm going to be a ski bum. Then my parents divorced at 18 and my mom fought for control of college tuition and won. Thank god, my asshole Dad would never have given me college money outside Wisconsin. So, my point is last-resort be really dishonest with your parents to get out west and get them divorced, I dunno. Worked for me.
    What, what an ingrate you are. Your dad is an "asshole" even though he was going to pay your in-state tuition? How about you don't assume your parents owe you a college education at all(which they don't) and pay your own fucking tuition? What a false sense of entitlement you have, your dad mortgaged his life to help raise you I am sure. Unbelieveable you would post this

If by being a great place to go to college and ski, it's probably still what it used to be.

But go to Missoula if you're interested in creative writing.

If I was heading to college right now, I'd probably go to CU, study engineering or computer science, but at Western in Gunnison. Pretty crazy deal that you can pay Western tuition, ski CB everyday, but take classes from CU profs and get a degree that says CU on it instead of Western at their new Engineering school.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    If I was heading to college right now, I'd probably go to CU, study engineering or computer science, but at Western in Gunnison. Pretty crazy deal that you can pay Western tuition, ski CB everyday, but take classes from CU profs and get a degree that says CU on it instead of Western at their new Engineering school.
    Oh, just do that.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Bozeman sucks.
    Yup. And it's full. There's no more room.

After all, the last person in wants to build the biggest fence, no?

Quote Originally Posted by NWFlow View Post
    If by being a great place to go to college and ski, it's probably still what it used to be.

But go to Missoula if you're interested in creative writing.
    A great option if the creative arts and such are your jam.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Oooh... this.

What is the best college ski town?

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    1. SLC
    2. Burlington
    3. Denver
    4. Boulder
    5. Bozeman
    Seattle

Middlebury

Dartmouth

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    After all, the last person in wants to build the biggest fence, no?
    I had never heard that expression until I lived here and it holds true maybe 50% of the time.

Lot of tongue in cheek in our comments but.

For better or for worse, Bozeman is not close to what it was when I moved to Montana in 91 or even when I moved to town in 2006. In those halcyon days you basically knew everyone.

There are trade offs but the rate of expansion is disconcerting.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTV View Post
    What, what an ingrate you are. Your dad is an "asshole" even though he was going to pay your in-state tuition? How about you don't assume your parents owe you a college education at all(which they don't) and pay your own fucking tuition? What a false sense of entitlement you have, your dad mortgaged his life to help raise you I am sure. Unbelieveable you would post this
    wow shit got serious around here

I’ll throw out one for “small” college town consideration.

Houghton / Hancock MIchigan.

Michigan Tech is in Houghton (my alma matter).

College owns the ski hill in town (Mt Ripley). Also have the Porcupine Mountains an hour away. Mt Bohemia is an hour away.

Lake effect snow. 200” per year on average. Had 323” one of my years on college. Lots of good powder days were had. Short runs, but steep and often deep. No crowds. Cheap to live. Lots of outdoor recreation and activities.

Bend has an infamous junior college and Bachelor and Smith Rocks...
    Bend also has a satellite campus of Oregon State University. https://osucascades.edu/academics
    It doesn't seem to offer a creative writing program, but you can probably get the same instruction if you major in marketing...

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    Seattle

Middlebury

Dartmouth

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    My point, exactly. There are a lot of good ones, best is a gray area.

I could also throw in Vancouver. UBC is pretty rad, close to skiing, and Vancouver is happening.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    There are trade offs but the rate of expansion is disconcerting.
    It's truly shocking. It's still I guess a great place to live, but the whole feel of the town has changed dramatically even in the last 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by NWFlow View Post
    It's truly shocking. It's still I guess a great place to live, but the whole feel of the town has changed dramatically even in the last 5 years.
    This is happening every where out west. I am in Golden CO it is crazy how much it has changed since we moved here 15 years ago but the last 5 is the most dramatic change.

Even though Golden is so close to Denver 15 years ago you did know just about everyone. It was a small town. One of the best secrets on the Front Range. Now it is looking more and more like Boulder.

How to get 100 days and an education that you will actually value... Find a hill with night skiing and be okay with marginal skiing or find a school with night classes or stack your in class days Tues and Thurs.

It's all a compromise. If I really cared about school, I would have done things differently. If I really cared about only rad skiing, I would have moved somewhere with rad skiing and not gone to school. Turns out I got a bullshit degree in 5.5-6 years with some summer school and put in a number of 100+ day college seasons on mediocre terrain. Now I have a job that my degree does not help with, make enough money, and get a lot of days outside but they're not all skiing. Probably hitting 40-60 ski days/year but those are not bell to bell days. I quit counting days when two hour days started happening so I can't really give a total.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluff View Post
    I’ll throw out one for “small” college town consideration.

Houghton / Hancock MIchigan.

Michigan Tech is in Houghton (my alma matter).

College owns the ski hill in town (Mt Ripley). Also have the Porcupine Mountains an hour away. Mt Bohemia is an hour away.

Lake effect snow. 200” per year on average. Had 323” one of my years on college. Lots of good powder days were had. Short runs, but steep and often deep. No crowds. Cheap to live. Lots of outdoor recreation and activities.
    trestles!
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

This has never, ever been posted about development out yonder on this forum.

They called it paradise, I don't know why
    You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye
    Same with this;

Nobody's from here
    Most of us just live here
    locals long since moved away
    sold their played-out farms for parking lots
    went off looking for a better way
    But I digress. Lots of good stuff in this thread and very little of the usual mmmm you know.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"