Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Honestly, that is what I will do most likely. I already took a gap year between my sophomore and junior years of high school so I am going to be an old ass man pretty quick.
    swing your fucking sword.

They're not Mormon, are they?

Ever consider trade type school? People making $80 hr in Seattle stringing wire and running pipe. Two of my relatives are electricians making near 200k and skiing in their free time (albeit less free time than me)

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    They're not Mormon, are they?
    No more than anything else in SLC.. A good friend of mine, a top-notch bc partner, teaches there. He’s so not Mormon.

I'd mainly go to Beech or Winterplace with buddies. As you probably know, they suck. But better than nothing. If you go with an NC school, I'd suggest getting a mtb (if you dont have one already) and just spending more time on that for a couple years. There is solid riding in the vicinity.

Just to add my 2 cents, I will say that I have 0 regrets about prioritizing education early on...its given me a ton of flexibility with my schedule now while still making great money. The first few jobs really determine your trajectory. I'm glad to now be able to tap the brakes and live my life how I want...versus being pigeon holed by a limited resume.

That said, I have countless friends who went down the corporate ladder path, drank the koolaid, and are chasing the next promotion. You have to know when is the right time to pivot towards something that will make you happy or you will get sucked into the rat race.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    That was always my thought but six AP classes this semester has me saying "fuck this education thing" pretty hard. Getting a degree is definitely the move in the long-term but I am an impatient idiot. Did you ever ride App while you were at UNC?
    You sound like a smart kid. You'll probably pick a smart kid major and be studying a lot. That will be your priority, as it should. Join a ski club, go a few times a year plus the holidays. Four years goes by pretty fast. But take a year off or two if you need it.

PM fastfred, he'll tell you what the correct choice is.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

I appreciate the kind words. Fuck whoever it was that decided to make the application process stressful as hell. I know that whatever choice I do make won't completely shape the course of my life but people in education really make it seem that way.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Missoula
    Carroll College. Helena, MT. The best ski town in MT according to yeahman.

What do you plan to pick as a major?

1. SLC
    2. Burlington
    3. Denver
    4. Boulder
    5. Bozeman

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    Carroll College. Helena, MT. The best ski town in MT according to yeahman.
    Oh yeah, lots of catholic girls. Never underestimate affiliated schools. The girls from Mt. St. Mary's would come down to our parties and they would be in heat.

What is the best college ski town?

Weber State or Wasted State would be my top choices.

As VT says, you should check with FastFred

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    PM fastfred, he'll tell you what the correct choice is.
    didn’t he go to school in the hamptons? Binghamton?

Bozeman ski Bridger. Do not go to Denver, Salt Lake or Boulder. Why would you want to waste your life dealing with traffic? Bozeman is Boulder 45 years ago. It maybe has 5 more years of livability than it's over get it now. Back country Cooke City road trip Jackson catch a few days at Big Sky.
    off your knees Louie

I went to UVM with the thought of skiing as much as possible.

In reality, I wasted my money paying for school because my grades sucked and I had to join the Army after graduating because the only job I could get with my grades involved "you want fries with that?"

If you're not sure you can focus your energy and efforts on the education part, don't waste your time and your parents' money. Go be a ski bum for a couple of years and figure out what you want to do with the rest of your life. Making life decisions at age 18-20 is insane because you're moron at that age (not you in particular, we all are). One thing I figured out too late was the whole "got to go straight to college after high school" thing is idiotic. I had several friends at UVM that took 2-3 years off between HS and college and they had their shit together. I was a hot mess socially, academically, etc. compared to them.

Good luck and, yeah, PM fastfred.

What is the best college ski town?

Castleton University is only 35 minutes from all the hot Italian babes you can handle at Killington. Besides, Rutland is well known for high quality powder (and tar).

Plymouth State, number 8, party school in the country when I was there in the 80’s.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Ski Wasted State and earn a degree in your spare time. I took Tu-Th classes 8am to 5 pm winter semester and had 5 days/week at the Butte. Worked restarant/type jobs usu show to work around 4 pm off by 10 when the party was just getting started. Do not regret my mispent youth.

It really depends upon whether skiing, or elite education is on your priority list. In the east, Middleburg, Hanover, Burlington. If you are not from NC and you were accepted at Chapel Hill, you may have a shot at Dartmouth or Middlebury.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

If you’re going to move out of state to go skiing, you can do it for a lot less than the cost of tuition and university related housing. Now if you’re shit hot and can get grants and scholarships to pay for it rock on, but...

Your undergrad, IMO should be more about getting a good baseline (cause ya gonna go to grad school eventually) in something you care about. Enjoying the unique social setting, making lifelong friends and appreciate the amount of hot young women you’re constantly surround by. If you can do all that and still go skiing, sweet.

If you just want to ski move out west to a true ski town, live in some shit hole with 6 other people and just ski every day. Colleges will still be there when you get tired of it and maybe even offering more in person education. It will be harder to apply for college while being a ski bum than as a senior in high school.

If you just want to ski move out west to a true ski town
    I was not aware such places still exist, any examples?

The rest of your advice is rock solid. Go ski or go to school. To try and do both and derive the maximum benefit is no longer possible, if it really ever was.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

University of Utah.....great school affordable easy to get in state tuition. Also easy to skip class and ski. I took a 5 year hiatus to study at the University of Alta. Ended up going back finished with two degrees for under $15k.....this was back in 2004 but it is still great value.

It really is a great school and has continued to improve with the PAC 12 affiliation. Record research $$$ coming in. AAU inclusion. On and on.

Weber state rates in the negative Ogdens. Possibly -3 or even -4 Ogdens.

An ex gf got a great education there. It’s below the usual radar but don’t count it out.