Thread: Alva

Alva

T A is the shit

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Loved this. Watched the premier. Def worth a watch. No one can touch his FS airs.

My first real skateboard was an Alva and i still ride em. I'm a fan.

RIP Grosso
    27° 18°

Quote Originally Posted by danmelon View Post
    Loved this. Watched the premier. Def worth a watch. No one can touch his FS airs.

My first real skateboard was an Alva and i still ride em. I'm a fan.

RIP Grosso
    Nice! Og Alva must be worth some dough

George Orton invented frontside air. NOT TA. Documented and undisputed in the magazines in 1977. Freidman trying to rewrite history.

"like watchin your granpa fall down a flight of stairs" Jesus christ that's funny.
    "Can't you see..."

Thx for the link, took me back a ways. I built my first skateboard outta plywood, with a wedge on the back as a kick tail. Until I watched the vid I didn’t know that TA never broke a bone in his career. Hard to imagine.

Its inspiring that he's still jumping fences to sneak a sesh in a new pool at 60 but the no broken bones thing is most impressive. I kind of got sidetracked watching when i heard that. Thats talent because he definitely has balls.
    To me it was his FS airs that were etched in my mind. I always dreamed of doing that at the same time as boosting rocket airs like Cab. TA and Cab are still the coolest cats to this day. Living life right. Wish Cab would stop braking himself though.My 2 favorite skaters to this day. Mad respect to Mullen and Hawk but thats not what i dreamed of skating like

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    George Orton invented frontside air. NOT TA. Documented and undisputed in the magazines in 1977. Freidman trying to rewrite history.

"like watchin your granpa fall down a flight of stairs" Jesus christ that's funny.
    I think you are right about that, but he wasn't tucking his knee like TA does.
    27° 18°

^ Technical bullshit. Orton first over the top airborne. period. At least in the 2002 documentary, friedman allowed "alva was the first to do it over coping." which IMO was more technical bullshit.

Don't get me wrong Alva was/is total badass and if he wasn't #1 in the day he was def. at the top. (I'd put Ty Page in the conversation. The Dogtowners know it and that's why they argue the "style" shit. And of course they were always ready to fight about it so bonus points there. Page had every bit the balls TA did on the wood/concrete, and was a better freestyler. Sure looking back freestyle is not around any more and not remembered fondly. But's thats for a reason. it was fucking hard).

"invented frontside air" ? Bullshit. It's simply Friedman's 30+year man crush on TA.
    "Can't you see..."

^ Technical bullshit. Orton first over the top airborne. period. At least in the 2002 documentary, friedman allowed "alva was the first to do it over coping." which IMO was more technical bullshit.

Don't get me wrong Alva was/is total badass and if he wasn't #1 in the day he was def. at the top. "invented frontside air" ? Bullshit. It's simply Friedman's 30+year man crush on TA.
    Man i'm not arguing with you. Alva has even admitted that Orton aired first. But style is not technical bullshit. A proper tuck knee FS air looks way different than a 'between the legs stinker'.
    27° 18°

I was a terrible skater as a kid in the late 80s but one of my first real boards after graduating from a Nash p.o.s. was an Alva with a massive kick tail. That thing was all kinds of neon and as wide as a boat compared to even other boards back then. Easiest thing in the world to get pop with.

It got run over in the driveway one day and my buddy sold me his Vision Psycho Stick so he wouldn’t have to skate alone.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by danmelon View Post
    Man i'm not arguing with you..
    I know, man, just I get a little passionate about it; plus I think the distinction is important. I mean, the move translated to snowboards, skis, BMX, all kindsa shit. All started with orton (at paramount I beleive), march 1977. "stinkbug" style and all.
    "Can't you see..."

I know, man, just I get a little passionate about it; plus I think the distinction is important. I mean, the move translated to snowboards, skis, BMX, all kindsa shit. All started with orton (at paramount I beleive), march 1977. "stinkbug" style and all.
    haha, cool cool. I like the passion.
    27° 18°

Ya thats good history

I thought this was going to be a Thomas Edison thread.

Grosso was always fuckin hysterical IMO.

Hawk "Didja ever think, when we were 20, we'd be skating when we were 60?"
    Grosso "Dude. I wasn't plannin on bein 60"

And true to his plan, he won't be.
    "Can't you see..."

had a couple alva decks in the day, i wish i would have saved them all. i was more of a jay adams fan from the period though, both had great style to inspire my gen.

RIP grosso. need to bring back loveletters. mountain or lucero would be a good host. about the only 2 that could prob get blender to talk.

and just cause...... long live the sad plant.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sadlance.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	284.9 KB 
ID:	340953