Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I don’t remember singing Girdwood’s praises.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

You certainly didn't come to bury it, but it's hard to find a sense of community in the KPB when you're part of a seasonal influx of anglers and dipnetters from the Valley. You just get painted with that brush.

Well you seems like a wonderful endorsement of Soldotna. OP: this is your new neighbor.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

It just sucks they can't find an Alaskan with the skills they need, amirite? Poor employer! I feel so sorry for them.

As a former Ohioan If you aren’t interested in an adventure, don’t come. If you are, then ignore what anyone else says and make your own way. Sites like apartment.com are not likely worth the bother, things you are used to in the 48 don’t exist here.

Soldotna is pretty much a slope worker red neck town. If that’s your thing then no worries, if it isn’t then you’ll likely have a challenging time. Some beautiful country nearby and good folks all around. AK is weird, we have staunch republican union workers?!

/aside: ak was once full of people who were super nice and super capable, would help you as second nature , you might disagree politically but that was about the last thing to talk about. They still exist, the whiners drown out the signal a bit more than some 30 odd years, but progress...

^
    Name:  tenor.gif
Views: 570
Size:  536.6 KB
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by wendigo View Post
    As a former Ohioan......

Soldotna is pretty much a slope worker red neck town. If that’s your thing then no worries, if it isn’t then you’ll likely have a challenging time. Some beautiful country nearby and good folks all around. AK is weird, we have staunch republican union workers?!

/aside: ak was once full of people who were super nice and super capable, would help you as second nature , you might disagree politically but that was about the last thing to talk about. They still exist, the whiners drown out the signal a bit more than some 30 odd years, but progress...
    well that makes it sound just like Ohio then huh? What resources are the best to look for rentals? That is one of our biggest concerns is finding somewhere to stay we can afford until I can find a job..

Thanks for the insights everyone. We have a list of questions to ask about the job before we can move forward with deciding. if we get to a 90% chance of accepting we will plan a trip to visit and see for ourselves. Saw that we will need a negative covid test 72 hours prior to flying in.. Anyone know about driving into Canada and back into AK during the border shutdown?

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    It just sucks they can't find an Alaskan with the skills they need, amirite? Poor employer! I feel so sorry for them.
    You are correct.. Braindrain is a huge issue in small towns all over the country. She looked into UofA and they don't have a program for her degree even offered so it would be quite hard to hire a local for something that the local colleges don't offer......

Quote Originally Posted by wendigo View Post
    As a former Ohioan If you aren’t interested in an adventure, don’t come. If you are, then ignore what anyone else says and make your own way. Sites like apartment.com are not likely worth the bother, things you are used to in the 48 don’t exist here.

You sound like a fucking tour guide. Or a Federal employee who came here all expenses paid.

Real quick: Anyone who comes into the country should come by his/her own volition and effort, and be ready to do whatever it takes after they get here. If you don't earn it, you don't appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy433 View Post
    You are correct.. Braindrain is a huge issue in small towns all over the country. She looked into UofA and they don't have a program for her degree even offered so it would be quite hard to hire a local for something that the local colleges don't offer......

Yeah, I graduated Ohio State in 1985 & 1988.

Let me guess...is this job related to 1. health care, or 2. the O&G industry, or 3. one of the woodsier branches of the Federal Gubmnt? Because...those are about the only orgs that would hire anyone from out of state at this point of the recession. The recession we've been in for a few years now.

What do you plan to do here, Shaggy?

Last edited by highangle; 09-20-2020 at 10:37 AM.

Yeah, we don't have a law school or neuroscience cirricula either, but do have a surprisingly strong rocket science program.

Let me guess...is this job related to 1. health care, or 2. the O&G industry?

Neither of these

I do not think the driving thing is happening. https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2020...another-month/
    If the job in anyway involves government funding do not take.
    off your knees Louie

I have no idea what I would do there. I'm just a dumb factory worker now....

Its a job with the local government though....

We don't have many factories in the KPB. What we do have is a fucking recession with high unemployment, a big burnt spot, diminishing salmon returns, and too many gelled-up FOB city slickers trying to make Alaska just like where they came from. You'll prob have an inside line to a lot of seasonal work with the City, but the more enterprising you are in Ak, the better.

Except for the far-off views, Soldotna resembles a small town in Michigan, with 1 main drag and a bypass. It gets cold there by KPB standards, they'll prob hit -20 below this winter. There's good land in the area though, but you need a lot of shit to own a spread in Alaska... That said, people will live in anything in Ak. You best give up your Ohio notions of real estate before you start.
    4x4 is pretty much necessary, and aux lighting. The Sterling Highway through Cooper Landing is horrible, like driving in India, with ice and drunkies. It's dark for 18hrs/day in winter and moose don't stare at headlights or reflect like deer and tend to come through the windshield when you hit them. It's a long way to the next town from Soldotna. (No, Sterling and Kasilof don't count. Neither does Kenai. For practical purposes, they're just school districts.)

Ship your RVs/boats/airplanes/ATVs and/or bring them when Canada lets you. You'll need them. Buy your bikes here. Get some fucking skills. The cost of education in Ak is skyrocketing, but Alaska needs A&Ps, and refrigeration techs, and merchant marines, and camp cooks, and a bunch of other job-before-graduation skill sets you can pick up formally here.

Post pics of wife
    Last edited by highangle; 09-20-2020 at 12:19 PM.

We don't have many factories in the KPB. What we do have is a fucking recession with high unemployment, a big burnt spot, diminishing salmon returns, and too many gelled-up FOB city slickers trying to make Alaska just like where they came from. You'll prob have an inside line to a lot of seasonal work with the City, but the more enterprising you are in Ak, the better.

Except for the far-off views, Soldotna resembles a small town in Michigan, with 1 main drag and a bypass. It gets cold there by KPB standards, they'll prob hit -20 below this winter. There's good land in the area though, but you need a lot of shit to own a spread in Alaska... That said, people will live in anything in Ak. You best give up your Ohio notions of real estate before you start.
    4x4 is pretty much necessary, and aux lighting. It's dark for 18hrs/day in winter and moose don't stare at headlights or reflect like deer and tend to come through the windshield when you hit them. It's a long way to the next town from Soldotna. (No, Sterling and Kasilof don't count. Neither does Kenai. For practical purposes, they're just school districts.)

Ship your RVs/boats/airplanes/ATVs and/or bring them when Canada lets you. You'll need them. Buy your bikes here. Get some fucking skills. The cost of education in Ak is skyrocketing, but Alaska needs A&Ps, and generator techs, and merchant marines, and camp cooks, and a bunch of other job-before-graduation skill sets you can pick up formally here.

Post pics of wife
    quite a bit of anger here huh? Considering I actually did grow up in a "small town in the UP of Mi" of 1337, Brimley if you want to look it up (quite higher than I thought but its counting that as a 100^3 miles so that helps the count) it only had a stoplight about 3 miles outside of town and another one on the other side of "town" so your saying it would be almost like home! The wife is actually in Zoning so you know making sure people don't build stupid/unsafe/environmental harmful shit in such a wonderful sounding place.

I guess if we do decide to make the move I don't think I'll be searching you out to have a beer with......

Checking out the AK you probably wana fly cuz its a very long way to drive thru hostile territory
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Checking out the AK you probably wana fly cuz its a very long way to drive thru hostile territory
    To visit we would fly but if we moved we would have to drive... We priced having everything shipped up and it was close to 10k

Uhmm...That wasn't an angry post, brah.

When did you plan to visit?

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    quite a bit of anger here huh? Considering I actually did grow up in a "small town in the UP of Mi" of 1337, Brimley if you want to look it up (quite higher than I thought but its counting that as a 100^3 miles so that helps the count) it only had a stoplight about 3 miles outside of town and another one on the other side of "town" so your saying it would be almost like home! The wife is actually in Zoning so you know making sure people don't build stupid/unsafe/environmental harmful shit in such a wonderful sounding place.

I guess if we do decide to make the move I don't think I'll be searching you out to have a beer with......
    been my experiances ifin you just judge them e books n kooks by the cover or a few random passages yur probably gonna miss sums good irl readin and interactions
    id git this for the mrs.
    Name:  259f55a3-d31a-4632-ac66-6fb87428f2ef_1.55c5948c934d16557e453fc4a9a013da.jpeg
Views: 516
Size:  84.7 KB
    with a name like hurricane dave
    its gots to be
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

To visit we would fly but if we moved we would have to drive... We priced having everything shipped up and it was close to 10k
    As I undertand it You can drive thru if you have a real need SO a job is cool, CBSA the federal Canadian gov will give you a rear view mirror plaque with a time limit written on it so you are expected to transit within that time

So when they say drive thru stay with your vehical, don't go site seeing, don't go hiking, don't visit national parks, don't have a vaca that is what they mean SO resist that urge to be a rugged individulaist

re: the brain drain kids gotta go away just cuz they gotta, we gots a whole buncha kids in their 30's coming home for quality of life and free babysitting with the grand parents

You should watch some Alaskan Bush People on Discovery Channel for a real taste of authentic AK life. Those people have it figured out and are dam near experts in everything Alaska. They have no resources, no money, yet they somehow make due.

Probably the most accurate representation of true Alaskans, ever, period.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I met an Alaskan in Mexico who had come down with cash to hang out with a bering sea fisherman buddy running the airBnB, he runs out of cash had to borrow money becuz he had NO cards & NO credit of any kind, Buddy had always worked hard always owned all the usual stuff the cars/trucks/sleds/boats yada yada but no cards and it almost sounded like no bank accounts. I told him he needs to establish credit and he looked at me like I had 2 heads

XXX-er, that was highangles neighbor.
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.