Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: RBG is dead

Bet she's a demon in the sack

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    And which of those things do you think Judge Barrett will “close the door” on?
    I didn't say she will. I think the ACLU cases she argued or supervised are safe, as are women's rights in general, except for the right to choose and gay rights as they pertain to both men and women. I would certainly be surprised if Barrett does anything that advances individual rights, except for the right to own a gun. I expect that the Court will continue to defend the rights of corporations, the power of authority--including religious authority, and the political interests of the Republican party--voter suppression, gerrymandering, and the like. It would not shock me if the court ordered a stop to the counting of mail ballots some days after the election, especially if Trump is ahead, the same way it ordered a stop to the Florida recount in Bush v Gore without any legal basis for doing so. The court in the 50's and 60's and early 70's took on the role of defending the rights of the oppressed and deprived of society and has moved ever further away from that role, with some exceptions like Obergefell, and with a 6-3 split will move ever more rapidly away, ever more rapidly towards a role as the defender of the rich and powerful.

But if you want to understand the significance of RBG--which I don't think you do--talk to women like my wife who grew up being told what they couldn't do because they were women.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    "In a 2018 interview with the South Bend Tribune, Barrett’s home paper, the group’s current “coordinator,” Craig Lent, confirmed that People of Praise opposes abortion, gay rights, and marriage equality, and believes that “men are leaders of their families, but that they should be ‘servant leaders,’ as Jesus Christ was.” Still, Lent insisted the group “stays out of politics,” the paper reported."

"...And it’s important to note that People of Praise is significantly more restrictive than Catholicism. The group has gotten some exaggerated and unfair coverage—while it traditionally termed male community leaders “heads” and their female counterparts “handmaids,...”

"...there is no denying that the group opposes abortion and gay marriage and bars “out” LGBT people from membership. Its South Bend school, Trinity, where Barrett was on the board for several years, teaches male and female students separately and prohibits dating."

Wow, she sure sounds in step with the times. What an excellent candidate the orange haired shit-gibbon and his merry band are ramming through... Oh, so sorry. Did I poly-ass Coreshot or Dbased? too fucking bad.

Oh sweet mother of christ. You guys (and gals) down there are royally and completely fucked.
    is there a canadian equivilant of rbg?
    i googled famous canadian women
    joni mitchell came up
    i guess Hariot Tubman
    and
    id say
    Louis Arbour is close but i bet im not the only person who needed to google that name
    and shes not anywhere near rbg level

im not sure about fucked
    that would depend on how you let politics shape your everday life.
    Obviously it plays a much more significant part of yur time and thoughts
    ntiatwwi
    Nor am i sure any canadian women will ever rise to the iconic fame and respect of the notorious one
    nor influence so many young women world wide.
    anyhow another strong poli post
    bro
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

We dont have as many religious kooks and we dont hyper politicize everything. The average canadian has no idea who serves in our highest court

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    I was in a particularly foul mood this morning. And, yes, I got that off a friend's twitter and reposted it because it said everything. Why the fuck should women even have to fight for their rights and what kind of people would oppose that equality?
    Oh I agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    the same way it ordered a stop to the Florida recount in Bush v Gore without any legal basis for doing so.
    Well that's not really true but we don't need to relitigate that episode.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    We dont have as many religious kooks and we dont hyper politicize everything. The average canadian has no idea who serves in our highest court

Amazing. I wonder why so many Canadians are ignorant about Canadian government and politics but intensely follow American politics?

Because its a fkn train wreck and when the us sneezes canada gets a cold or covid as it were. Do you really have to ask the obvious bubble boy

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    ever wonder why the gsa
    wasnt training for canada?
    believe
    eh
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

But yet you keep returning

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Wow. I'm doing this right (and the political system of the US) now with my advanced English students and read a bit about it, but I didn't think it was that bad. Seems really scary from an outside perspective. And even if I'm not really affected directly here, the behavior of the Republicans is infuriating.

Anyway. I'll keep learning the new catch phrases for my next visit (hopefully) to AK when the kids are older.
    "praise be!"
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    Chief justice Beverly Mclachlin, altho she is younger (88) retired and still alive

she was interviewed on meeting RBG at law confrences hanging out drinking tea and whatnot, the things learned lawyers do

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverley_McLachlin

edit: I'm pretty sure I am not the average Canadian but really all you have to do is listen to the CBC which talks about Canadian stuff, right now they are interviewing dope growers on their 60,000 plant harvest
    Last edited by XXX-er; 09-28-2020 at 09:41 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

So ..... all we have to do is convince Amy's overseer/dominator husband that the Trump logic is Satan's tongue, and we're set, right??

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    I suspect this was written before RBG passed, but the article could well include a postscript where an even-numbered or far right SCOTUS could be the end of the line. A long read, but worthy of the investment. And it might scare the shit out of you no matter your leanings.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...oncede/616424/
    Great fucking system we have here.

At what point are the shenanigans going to cause other countries publicly refuse to recognize Trump as legitimate president if he refuses to leave office?

Beau is already calling the US a failed state on 3 of 4 criteria below. Seems like this might get us over the hump on #4.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    There it is.
    That its a stupid twitter meme that is provably false?

Is splat a Russian bot?

no wonder you come across as tone-deaf and ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    i googled famous canadian women
    joni mitchell came up
    i guess Hariot Tubman
    and
    id say
    Louis Arbour is close but i bet im not the only person who needed to google that name
    and shes not anywhere near rbg level

im not sure about fucked
    that would depend on how you let politics shape your everday life.
    Obviously it plays a much more significant part of yur time and thoughts
    ntiatwwi
    Nor am i sure any canadian women will ever rise to the iconic fame and respect of the notorious one
    nor influence so many young women world wide.
    anyhow another strong poli post
    bro
    Not saying RBG wasn't great. Saying that the nominee for her replacement is illegal and a horrid thing for your country. And, I would suggest politics shapes your everyday life more than mine these days just given where you live. Sadly I'd add.

I would say that I've never been as concerned with an American election in my life. Just because of what's at stake, and my country's dependance on yours (again for better or worse, I'd argue for the worst mainly) economically. What happens down there has a huge effect on my country's prosperity and my and my friends everyday life (see Aluminum tarrifs, see softwood tarrifs etc etc).

Anyway, we have a long history of here of great women. And, it could be argued on a more advanced timeline than you guys down south,

Alice Jamieson, First Female Judge in Canada JANUARY 01, 1914

Alice Jamieson became the first female judge in Canada and the British Empire when she was appointed to Calgary’s juvenile court.

Genevieve Rose Cline was the first woman named to the federal US bench in 1928.

Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathRaven View Post
    Amazing. I wonder why so many Canadians are ignorant about Canadian government and politics but intensely follow American politics?
    Because its a fkn train wreck and when the us sneezes canada gets a cold or covid as it were. Do you really have to ask the obvious bubble boy

And, I'll add - where DR, are you getting your data from? Here? You making shit up? Yeah, thought so.

Anyway again, this is about RBG and not Canada. I'm choosing to post here because your idiot in chief and his corrupt asswipe cronies are ramming through a replacement for RBG contrary to public opinion, law, and to what all of them said last time when Obama wanted to nominate with less than a year remaining in his term.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by Deebased View Post
    no wonder you come across as tone-deaf and ignorant.
    Sick burn bruh

Quote Originally Posted by Deebased View Post
    That its a stupid twitter meme that is provably false?

Is splat a Russian bot?
    Prove that it is false, please.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Prove that it is false, please.
    Which one?

That ACB didn't scissor someones face or that ACB isn't closing doors every door RBG ostensibly opened. (Many of which she didn't) .
    Last edited by Deebased; 09-28-2020 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    And, I'll add - where DR, are you getting your data from? Here? You making shit up? Yeah, thought so.
    Data? You feeling ok? Grinch - who I assume is Canadian based on the use of the word "we" - stated his opinion that the average Canadian has no idea who the justices on Canada's highest court are. That struck me as interesting as he is saying that the 'average' Canadian is basically clueless about their own politics, yet using TGR as a small microcosm of the world I see several Canadians like yourself and Grinch who appear to rabidly follow American politics and the composition of America's highest court.

I was being intentionally obtuse as to the reasons why Canadians might follow American politics. As a vassal state to the mighty United States of America, Canadians have to deal with the fact that shit runs downhill.

Wouldn't it be the Mexicans who have a problem then?

Data? You feeling ok? Grinch - who I assume is Canadian based on the use of the word "we" - stated his opinion that the average Canadian has no idea who the justices on Canada's highest court are. That struck me as interesting as he is saying that the 'average' Canadian is basically clueless about their own politics, yet using TGR as a small microcosm of the world I see several Canadians like yourself and Grinch who appear to rabidly follow American politics and the composition of America's highest court.

I was being intentionally obtuse as to the reasons why Canadians might follow American politics. As a vassal state to the mighty United States of America, Canadians have to deal with the fact that shit runs downhill.
    We just deal with it when it happens and put the issues to bed instead if whipping it into frenzy. Our elections are called and done in a couple months. Yours a couple of years. Its like a festering wound...... continuously. Complacency is also a problem here but our politics arent nearly as partisan because the wounds have time to heal

I’m confident the majority of Americans can’t name one S.C. judge.