Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: RBG is dead

RBG is dead

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    2016 was 48% for Clinton, 46% for Trump. Yes, the electoral college is fucked and should be changed, but is a 48/46 split really a mandate for violence?
    In the echo chamber of tgr, yes. Reading these posts are funny. You are all the same person, raised in the NY metro area, moved “out west” to live your core life, like weed, like manual vehicles, like station wagons you like abortion being law, more than likely are an atheist, like dogs more than kids.if you have kids judging from the divorce thread, you are miserable people by and large.
    Yet the in the “real world” many of your dogmatics beliefs are at best 50/50.
    Some are issues people don’t really care about, when the last time you met a living breathing anti abortion anti weed citizen outside of a vice report.
    I mean you all now as fact the other 50% are god fearing mouth breathing heathens, every last one of them.
    A theocracy, really?
    America as a theocracy with organized religion at all time participation lows.
    Give this time to pass and stop acting like a bunch of chicken littles.
    It’s like you really get surprised to learn half the world doesn’t think like you.
    Go vote . It’s highly unlikely they get enough votes from senate anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    I wonder if the subject of increasing the size of SCOTUS will resurface. If Mitchy the bitchy gets a justice seated then dems take the White House and congress after the election it might be the only path to a right wing court not being in power for decades.

I do agree - with deep sadness - that the dems need to play dirty. I sure wish I didn't have to say that because the erosion of longstanding protocols of behavior in government since 2016 is, to me, one of the most deeply disturbing symtpoms of trumpism.

But I guess if there are new rules (or it has become acceptable to make them up as we go) the dems are gonna have to get on board. What fucking bummer.
    If Dems need to play dirty later, which I agree they should, tell me why wouldn’t Republicans do the same now? They don’t care what we think, we don’t care what they think.

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    Yet the in the “real world” many of your dogmatics beliefs are at best 50/50. \
    Only 20% of Americans favor outlawing abortion. But you would never know that listening to the modern-day GOP.

Quote Originally Posted by IrieIbex View Post
    If Dems need to play dirty later, which I agree they should, tell me why wouldn’t Republicans do the same now? They don’t care what we think, we don’t care what they think.
    The Democrats are as spineless as the Republicans are ruthless.

In the echo chamber of tgr, yes. Reading these posts are funny. You are all the same person, raised in the NY metro area,
    No
    moved “out west” to live your core life
    No
    , like weed, like manual vehicles, like station wagons you like abortion being law, more than likely are an atheist, like dogs more than
    No
    you have kids judging from the divorce thread, you are miserable people by and large.
    Projecting
    No
    Some are issues people don’t really care about, when the last time you met a living breathing anti abortion anti weed citizen outside of a vice report.
    I work with some
    I mean you all now as fact the other 50% are god fearing mouth breathing heathens, every last one of them.
    No, but you're mounting evidence to that.
    A theocracy, really?
    It’s like you really get surprised to learn half the world doesn’t think like you.
    Projecting

Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    i found this piece by nina totenberg to be be very moving and i can’t stop reading these things.

https://apple.news/Aw1nU2KLgRIKVVJSggUh0Zg
    Thanks for that link.

In the echo chamber of tgr, yes. Reading these posts are funny. You are all the same person, raised in the NY metro area, moved “out west” to live your core life, like weed, like manual vehicles, like station wagons you like abortion being law, more than likely are an atheist, like dogs more than kids.if you have kids judging from the divorce thread, you are miserable people by and large.
    A theocracy, really?

Everything you posted was a gross over generalization. Many here, myself included, were born out west and have lived here our entire lives. Everything else is bullshit too. I’ve met many living breathing anti abortion, anti weed anti etc. people. Daily. Go back and crawl into bed with your sister you inbred hillbilly.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

No one has ever thought I was from New York.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    I always assumed you were from Australia.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    A theocracy, really?

they puttin lead chips in the north cackiliky crack?
    pull that shit out
    then post
    then smoke
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

How about York?

I read that if Mark Kelly wins his Senate race in AZ he can be seated Nov 30--as soon as his election is certified, since he would be replacing an appointed Senator (filling John McCain's seat) and the race is technically a special election. Depending on when the lame duck session starts and how quickly McConnell can move things it would then take only 3 GOP defections to kill a nomination. Maybe Trump will help out by nominating someone even a lot of Republicans can't stomach.

As if there weren't already enough reasons to want him to win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

RBG is dead

Early chatter has Amy Coney Barrett leading the nom, in my echo chamber.

Much more than an assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    I always assumed you were from Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

A theocracy, really?

NY smells.

Same here.

Vermont originally. Jackson is just a suburb of Waitsfield.
    With powder.
    Last edited by rideit; 09-19-2020 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    I don't disagree, but now do the Senate. States with 18% of the population control 50% of it.
    An equally good point. Tradition is killing our democracy. Democrats should have had the balls to rip the fillibuster bandaid off back in the early 2000s. Or the Republicans should have instead. I suppose in a sense, it kept a cap on the shenanigan's of 18% rule, but at the same time it prevented true 80% representation of the population policies from taking effect. If Chuck Schumer wasn't dealing with recalcitrant Dems in 2008 and McConnell wielding the fillibuster from afar, we would have got something halfway decent instead of this fucked up ACA system we deal with now.

Quote Originally Posted by tetzen View Post
    An equally good point. Tradition is killing our democracy. Democrats should have had the balls to rip the fillibuster bandaid off back in the early 2000s. Or the Republicans should have instead. I suppose in a sense, it kept a cap on the shenanigan's of 18% rule, but at the same time it prevented true 80% representation of the population policies from taking effect. If Chuck Schumer wasn't dealing with recalcitrant Dems in 2008 and McConnell wielding the fillibuster from afar, we would have got something halfway decent instead of this fucked up ACA system we deal with now.
    With Ginsburg gone you won't have to worry about the ACA much longer. The legal issues are over my head, but I think I understand that the district court found the ACA to be unconstitutional in its entirety, the Appeals court agreed with some of the findings of the district court and sent the case back to the district court for further consideration, but that if the SCOTUS ties 4-4 (they're scheduled to hear the case right after the election) the District Court's and Appeals Court opinions will stand. So 20,000,000 or so Americans are about to lose their health insurance in the middle of a pandemic.

Can some lawyer explain this better and correct my errors? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    i found this piece by nina totenberg to be be very moving and i can’t stop reading these things.

https://apple.news/Aw1nU2KLgRIKVVJSggUh0Zg
    That was good, thanks.

A theocracy, really?

There have been times when you weren’t full of shit. This wasn’t one of them.

Republican receipts https://youtu.be/pR7YdCK70cA

I know one thing--when you start taking stuff away from people--the right to get an abortion, health care--people tend to get very pissed off.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    With Ginsburg gone you won't have to worry about the ACA much longer. The legal issues are over my head, but I think I understand that the district court found the ACA to be unconstitutional in its entirety, the Appeals court agreed with some of the findings of the district court and sent the case back to the district court for further consideration, but that if the SCOTUS ties 4-4 (they're scheduled to hear the case right after the election) the District Court's and Appeals Court opinions will stand. So 20,000,000 or so Americans are about to lose their health insurance in the middle of a pandemic.

Can some lawyer explain this better and correct my errors? Thanks.
    Pretty close to correct. The case isn't scheduled to be heard until November if I correctly recall, which likely means a decision won't come out until well into 2021.

You are all the same person, raised in the NY metro area, moved “out west” to live your core life, like weed, like manual vehicles, like station wagons you like abortion being law, more than likely are an atheist, like dogs more than kids.if you have kids judging from the divorce thread, you are miserable people by and large.
    I grew up 3,000 miles away from NYC metro in an unincorporated town with no stoplights. I'll keep this post in mind the next time you complain about people stereotyping the South.

A theocracy, really?
    Honestly, what exactly are you arguing here? Half this post is arguing that people here live in liberal bubbles and the country is more conservative than they realize, while the other half seems to argue that people are overestimating how conservative the country actually is. Also, please explain what a "god fearing...heathen" is, because it appears that you don't understand what one or all of those words mean.

As to "your dogmatics beliefs are at best 50/50," if you look at Pew Research polls on almost every major social issue a substantial majority support the more liberal position:

-Two-thirds of Americans support marijuana legalization: https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...-legalization/
    -61% said in a 2019 survey that abortion should be legal in all or most cases: https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...te-in-america/
    -60% of Americans say gun laws should be stricter and only 30% personally own a gun: https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...united-states/
    -60% of Americans say ensuring universal healthcare is government’s responsibility: https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...esponsibility/

Certainly, there is substantial heterogeneity in those numbers based on geography and political affiliation. But, on national level, "at best 50/50" is demonstrably false (well, except for manual transmissions, you're probably right about that).

Regarding theocracy--theocracy is defined by the people in government writing and enforcing laws, not the populace. Minority rule by a theocratic party is still theocracy, and since 2/3's of Republicans believe the Bible should influence US laws (https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...of-the-people/), Republicans are a theocratic party. Entire books have been written about this phenomenon: https://www.amazon.com/American-Theo.../dp/0143038281 (written in 2006, and his thesis has not become less true). Being an atheist is a death sentence in Republican politics. Hell, it's difficult for an atheist to win in a Democratic primary. On the SCOTUS, all five current members appointed by Republicans are conservative Catholics, as are all of Trump's front-runners for RGB's seat.