Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: RBG is dead

I misread the title and thought it said that RGB was dead.

I was contemplating how I was going to change all the video settings on my monitors, but it's about something completely different and apparently RGB lives on.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Charlotte is a liberal bubble. NC probably has more of them than any state in the South.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Also, please explain what a "god fearing...heathen" is, because it appears that you don't understand what one or all of those words mean.
    I think it's meant to be read poetically. Let's see if I can adjust it a little from the original:

50% are god fearing, mouth breathing

Heathens, every last one of them

I like its rhythm and I like its sound and I start to realize he's telling lieslieslies

if democrats actually voted and legislators did their job then the supreme court wouldn't be as powerful as it now. problem with roe v wade - pass laws legalizing abortion at the federal level. Obama care - fucking fix it in congress. At the moment that is not the case because democrats are ineffectual at turning out the vote because poor people can't or won't vote

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    As to "your dogmatics beliefs are at best 50/50," if you look at Pew Research polls on almost every major social issue a substantial majority support the more liberal position:

-Two-thirds of Americans support marijuana legalization: https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...-legalization/
    -61% said in a 2019 survey that abortion should be legal in all or most cases: https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...te-in-america/
    -60% of Americans say gun laws should be stricter and only 30% personally own a gun: https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...united-states/
    -60% of Americans say ensuring universal healthcare is government’s responsibility: https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...esponsibility/
    I'd bet $37 that the distribution of political views in the "tgr echo chamber" fall right along with those national polls.

Except for the MT preference, of course.

Lies, lies, lies yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    if democrats actually voted and legislators did their job then the supreme court wouldn't be as powerful as it now. problem with roe v wade - pass laws legalizing abortion at the federal level. Obama care - fucking fix it in congress. At the moment that is not the case because democrats are ineffectual at turning out the vote because poor people can't or won't vote
    But Trump's poor base is going to vote. There was some left wing talking head lamenting the inability of the DNC/Dem politicians to motivate the liberal poor to vote. But that goes for the shrinking middle class. They seem to not vote in big numbers either.

Which is just what the Republican party likes.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

There should be term and age limits for all branches. 70+ year olds should not be directing the future of the country. No offense to any elders on here but 60+ should be enjoying retirement or taking advantage of those senior perks! Peak mental age is 30-55 and someone in that age range would have a good probability to live longer with the decisions they would be making. One would hope this could be a good start to push us in the right direction but don’t see if happening anytime soon.

if democrats actually voted and legislators did their job then the supreme court wouldn't be as powerful as it now.
    Senate malapportionment, how does it work?!

Quote Originally Posted by HarryAnoos View Post
    70+ year olds should not be directing the future of the country.
    Benjamin Franklin was 70 when he signed the Declaration of Independence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I bet that right now there are quite a few registered "Republicans" who are in favor of weed legalization, believe that women should have a right to choose what they want to do with their bodies, every person is entitled to at least rudimentary and think that the NRA is full of shit and that this country needs stricter gun laws. Thank you RBG, and the few brave, influential and learned people like you.

Lately, how many people have you heard say that they consider themselves to be "fiscally conservative and morally liberal."

Parties should be defined by their true intentions and actions; not by words or lip service. I hate to use this thread as an opportunity to get political in the Padded Room, but I will. Right now, the GOP is at rock bottom, but so is the Democratic party. More than ever, people should not necessarily vote their party, and vote for what is best for the country. Vote the assholes out!

DTM: great post. Where do you come up with this shiite? Obviously, you either have way too much time on your hands, waste too much time on trivia, or are just some sort of political savant.
    Last edited by schindlerpiste; 09-21-2020 at 01:52 PM.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

No discredit to old Ben but he was an outlier; average age was 44 and there were many more under 35 than over 65.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryAnoos View Post
    There should be term and age limits for all branches. 70+ year olds should not be directing the future of the country. No offense to any elders on here but 60+ should be enjoying retirement or taking advantage of those senior perks! Peak mental age is 30-55 and someone in that age range would have a good probability to live longer with the decisions they would be making. One would hope this could be a good start to push us in the right direction but don’t see if happening anytime soon.
    While I see the point, there are a lot of outliers out there, old Ben just being one of them. No doubt RBG could dance circles around you and me intellectually. The young always think the old are out of touch, but the old have one important thing the young will never have (untilthey are old), and that is experience. Combine the intellect of a Frankin or a Ginsberg with their years of living and amazing things can happen.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Sweet polyass thread
    . . .

you ol' hair splitter, you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

RBG's death has put me over the edge. I can't watch the news any more. Frontline is one of my favorite TV shows--I can't watch. I glance at the pandemic headlines so I can make personal choices, otherwise all I use the newspapers for is the crosswords. I rewatch cooking shows and write down the recipes.
    Can we just do this election right now and get the fucking thing over with?

Not that it wasn't expected but Romney falls right in line.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Not that it wasn't expected but every democrat in the senate falls right in line with Schumer.

“There can be a happy world and there will be once again, when men create a strong bond towards one another, a bond unbreakable by a studied prejudice or a passing circumstance.”

Ruth Bader Ginsberg, age 13

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Shake it, shake it Sugaree...

Quote Originally Posted by sirbumpsalot View Post
    Not that it wasn't expected but every democrat in the senate falls right in line with Graham.
    FIFY

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    why would this surprise you? abortion is very unpopular in Utah. he is representing his constituents.

this really is all about roe v wade unfortunately. if there were more democrats in the senate perhaps a federal pro choice law could be passed. politicians don't want to go near it because they are afraid of retribution at the next election

Looks like the Rs will seat a justice and if the Dems take the Senate and the White House, they'll pack the court. So the SC will be a partisan institution with limited legitimacy just like Congress. Did you ever think that for so-called adults we do a pretty piss-poor job of running this country?

packing the court is a very bad idea...

term limits on SCOTUS is not

if there were more democrats in the senate perhaps a federal pro choice law could be passed. politicians don't want to go near it because they are afraid of retribution at the next election

A "federal pro-choice law" could also be repealed. The Constitutional protection afforded by Roe is far better than a mere statute. Of course Roe can be overturned but that is far harder/less likely than overturning long-standing precedent. I say that understanding that Roe might be in jeopardy but that doesn't mean that a statute is preferable. What you really need is a Constitutional Amendment. I'm pro choice but Roe's reasoning was somewhat tortured.

packing the court is a very bad idea...

term limits on SCOTUS is not
    I agree with this. Don't pack the Supreme Court. It was a bad idea in 1937 and it hasn't improved with age.