Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    These look pretty nice (and less fussy than wearing two buffs), although the designs are limited unless you want to buy 50+:

https://www.boathouse.com/products/n...er-2-0-2-layer
    Ordered some of these and used them at Mammoth, seemed to work pretty well. Pull up for the lift, pull down to ski (or leave it up for storm days). Had a little trouble keeping it from slipping under my nose but tucking the top of the buff under my goggles helped.

Blackstrap 2-layer buffs look good too and have more colors/designs.
    https://bsbrand.com/collections/blac...ube-dual-layer

I picked up a couple of the OR 'ubertube' and used them on the hill for opening day.

Pros:

-Nice and easy to pop up and down as needed.

-The combo of the adjustment system (toggle at the back) and the way they run the cord so it hangs over your ears, is totally helmet-friendly. You can kinda choose where you put the flexible nose-piece thing and either run it under your goggles, or right below.

-It's really lightweight and has an actual 'chin shape' sewn in, so fits a lot better than a straight tube/gaiter.

-If you don't want to use the filter, it's still 2-layer.

-no fogging. It was a dry day, but still...

-tons of fit flexibility. I got one for my 9 year old and it fit him as well as it fit me.

Cons:

-getting the filter in is pretty fiddly. It goes in-between two layers of the material.

-Filter slips down a bit with wear. If someone was really neurotic about this, they could probably do some kind of adhesive velcro thing to rig it.

I think overall, it's probably less protective than a properly-fit mask with the same filter, but for this kind of use where you're going to be outside, seems totally adequate.

Quote Originally Posted by optics View Post
    I picked up a couple of the OR 'ubertube' and used them on the hill for opening day.

Pros:

-Nice and easy to pop up and down as needed.

-The combo of the adjustment system (toggle at the back) and the way they run the cord so it hangs over your ears, is totally helmet-friendly. You can kinda choose where you put the flexible nose-piece thing and either run it under your goggles, or right below.

-It's really lightweight and has an actual 'chin shape' sewn in, so fits a lot better than a straight tube/gaiter.

-If you don't want to use the filter, it's still 2-layer.

-no fogging. It was a dry day, but still...

-tons of fit flexibility. I got one for my 9 year old and it fit him as well as it fit me.

Cons:

-getting the filter in is pretty fiddly. It goes in-between two layers of the material.

-Filter slips down a bit with wear. If someone was really neurotic about this, they could probably do some kind of adhesive velcro thing to rig it.

I think overall, it's probably less protective than a properly-fit mask with the same filter, but for this kind of use where you're going to be outside, seems totally adequate.
    Did you get the mid weight or lightweight version of this? The midweight doesn't look like it has ear loops and I never wear a face mask normally when skiing as I fog up. Just need something really easy to pull on and off mainly.

lightweight

they aren't really loops, they are just the same cord that connects in the back. I'll try to get a clear photo. It's a clever design.

I just spent yesterday testing out my Primal Wear 2.0 mask at Crystal. In fact it wasn't really an issue to just leave it in the "on" position and just ski. No issues with fogging of the goggles either which I was worried about. I like the fact that it has a built in neck leash so no issues with having it fall off. Very comfortable to wear, and adjustable ear loops is a huge bonus.

https://www.primalwear.com/collections/mask-2-0
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

I’ve been using the OR lightweight ubertube and it works great. No fogging and haven’t even pulled it down for the DH. That said conditions at Alta aren’t exactly high output skiing right now

I picked up the buff filter tube for my wife and I and hope to try it this week, though we may be in quarantine for a bit. A bit finicky to put the filter in.

I have a hard time skiing with a neck gaiter without overheating so I hope this will work okay. The beard may have to go this year though.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    The beard may have to go this year though.
    Had that same thought today...arghhh.

Quote Originally Posted by Dshack89 View Post
    Had that same thought today...arghhh.
    I mean, in reference to your post in the wasatch thread, I'll be baby faced the rest of my life if I can go back to crushing laps on heavy skis and pivots.

BSPSM (beacon, shovel, probe, sanitizer, mask). Common sense video from G3:

Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

My question revolves around freezing temps.

I keep my beard shorter in the winter than I do in the summer because of ice build up on my face. Once it is frozen, it is a real bitch to get out!

Now let's consider that the more you fuss with a mask, the more you spread what ever was filtered by the mask on to your gloves (or hands if you can't feel the mask through your gloves). From there it goes every where. Doesn't that destroy the purpose of the mask in the first place?! I guess you could try to wash your hands with snow, but that has it's own downside. and it is not realistic. Short of "Magical Thinking", I am at a loss to see how we can ski and control the spread of this deadly Confefe Virus.

I keep my beard trimmed shorter in the winter than in the summer because of the ICE that forms on my chin. If I am storm skiing, that ice can become bullet proof. If a mask works by filtering out droplets if infected water, why won't it also freeze solid? Once that happens how is it supposed to stop spread of the Confefe Virus?!

Just one day on the lifts, but happy with the lightweight OR tube.

I’m very warm blooded and only cover my neck during storms but the OR is thin enough it’s pretty comfy for the lift line/etc.

Clever design as noted above.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post

Don't forget the other 5 essentials--5 rolls of TP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9D04AC67-85E1-421B-A3AE-AC42735936AF.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	647.4 KB 
ID:	349916
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

So, I often don't use a neck warmers. I run warm and it can be not that cold here, like last winter. I don't think it ever went below 0 in Missoula last winter. Which is unusual.
    Has anyone tried just wearing a regular cloth mask and pushing it down to their chin when they get off the lift and pulling back up in the lift line? Would that hurt the ears too much?
    Obviously, helmet goggles gloves etc complicates things, but I'm thinking specifically for temps in the 30s. Gloves will be lighter, goggles easily removed with no freezing fog problems.
    Anyone? Bueler?
    Just tuck my face down in my jacket collar if there's little or no line?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I'm not worried bout Corona Beer flu...we're 1st in line to getting the vaccine where I work... besides; I already had it 13 months ago.

Either way, I'd say infect the whole population and see who lives...right now death toll is under .05% of total population.... weed out the weak and move on.
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post

Thanks man, good info. I shared it to our hill's fb page.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    So, I often don't use a neck warmers. I run warm and it can be not that cold here, like last winter. I don't think it ever went below 0 in Missoula last winter. Which is unusual.
    Has anyone tried just wearing a regular cloth mask and pushing it down to their chin when they get off the lift and pulling back up in the lift line? Would that hurt the ears too much?
    Obviously, helmet goggles gloves etc complicates things, but I'm thinking specifically for temps in the 30s. Gloves will be lighter, goggles easily removed with no freezing fog problems.
    Anyone? Bueler?
    Just tuck my face down in my jacket collar if there's little or no line?
    Yesterday I went with the buff, today I went with the mask and just put under my chin during skiing.

My beard looks funky as shit, but I thought the mask was the better option. My ears were a bit sore at the end of the day, so I may switch to this Bauer mask that was given to me and is a good bit larger then my other mask and doesn’t have the ear tightened things that were probably the culprit.

Key seems to be finding one that fits a tiny bit looser...the buff was a fail for me.

A balaclava if you don’t run hot might be a good solution as well. Keeping the buff up was just too hard...especially trying to juggle a 5 yo and 2 yo.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Yesterday I went with the buff, today I went with the mask and just put under my chin during skiing.

My beard looks funky as shit, but I thought the mask was the better option. My ears were a bit sore at the end of the day, so I may switch to this Bauer mask that was given to me and is a good bit larger then my other mask and doesn’t have the ear tightened things that were probably the culprit.

Key seems to be finding one that fits a tiny bit looser...the buff was a fail for me.

A balaclava if you don’t run hot might be a good solution as well. Keeping the buff up was just too hard...especially trying to juggle a 5 yo and 2 yo.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Same here.
    Struggled with a buff.
    Had to take off gloves, lift goggles onto my helmet ,secure poles just to pull it up over my nose.
    There has to be a better way.
    Looking at the Blackstrap balaclava now.
    Probably have it figured out by the time the vaccine available.

Quote Originally Posted by TWINS View Post
    Same here.
    Struggled with a buff.
    Had to take off gloves, lift goggles onto my helmet ,secure poles just to pull it up over my nose.
    There has to be a better way.
    Looking at the Blackstrap balaclava now.
    Probably have it figured out by the time the vaccine available.
    The Blackstrap balaclavas are the ideal ski face covering in my opinion. Tried a normal mask, doubled-up Buff, and a combo of the two. The BS clava is nice and warm but breathable too.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Just one day on the lifts, but happy with the lightweight OR tube.

I’m very warm blooded and only cover my neck during storms but the OR is thin enough it’s pretty comfy for the lift line/etc.

Clever design as noted above.
    Yes, a very well considered design. I’ve also started using their regular mask, which I’m finding a huge upgrade from the collection of poorly fitting masks I’ve accumulated over the past 8 months.

Quote Originally Posted by _YawnPell_ View Post
    The Blackstrap balaclavas are the ideal ski face covering in my opinion. Tried a normal mask, doubled-up Buff, and a combo of the two. The BS clava is nice and warm but breathable too.
    Thankyou for that info.
    Its the double layer thing too.
    Single on the head, double on the face thats required at our local hill.
    I tried the double buff and holy hell that wasn't good.
    Where did you order your from?

Just put my black friday order in

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20201128-115654_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg 
Views:	161 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	350205

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by TWINS View Post
    Thankyou for that info.
    Its the double layer thing too.
    Single on the head, double on the face thats required at our local hill.
    I tried the double buff and holy hell that wasn't good.
    Where did you order your from?
    I ordered direct from Blackstrap. One thing about this and also doubled buffs--if you tuck the material under the lower edge of your goggles you'll notice there's more resistance to breathing than if the edge of the material is free. The goggles seal the top edge of the mask or buff so you're breathing through the fabric rather than in and out the top. The latter defeats the purpose of a mask. I suspect that there's a lot more breathing around masks going on in general than people realize.