Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SirHeady View Post
    Lol when did this thread become a Trump Anti Science Convention...
    https://www.infectioncontroltoday.co...overing-at-all

Its 2020, its not "Gnar" to be an ignorant Covidiot

If I see anyone in a neck gaiter/buff I will not hesitate to publicly shame them in the lift line as a "Super Spreader". These animals must be stopped.
    Only someone who doesn’t have a strong understanding of science would think that study is something to live by. It’s anecdotal and provides no data. I’ll break it down if you need.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    dont forget the part where people who spent multithousands for letters behind their names try to justify using a cell phone as a scientific instrument
    cause no one could afford or justify using a better camera
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by SirHeady View Post
    Lol when did this thread become a Trump Anti Science Convention...
    https://www.infectioncontroltoday.co...overing-at-all

Its 2020, its not "Gnar" to be an ignorant Covidiot

If I see anyone in a neck gaiter/buff I will not hesitate to publicly shame them in the lift line as a "Super Spreader". These animals must be stopped.
    Will you be able to quickly discern if the gator is two layer or one layer like in the tests?

Most skiers and staff at Mt. Hood this summer were wearing single layer almost see through buffs. No super-spread event up there but there were some employee positive cases.

Plus, the study you refer to was not meant to be a conclusive guide describing which masks to wear, but rather how to test their varied effectiveness. Results regarding the effectiveness of any particular face covering were merely a byproduct of the study.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ne...ters-covid-19/

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    ^^indoor stuff at the ski hill

Use of restrooms, getting the cold and wet screaming kids warmed up, taking breaks, the kids that end up staying indoors for various reasons, customer locker rooms, ticket purchases, staff locker rooms briefing and debrief, grabbing/eating snack/drink....

There are plenty of solutions for that stuff, but continuing to wear the wet/frozen mask may not be a reasonable request.
    Separate mask for indoor stuff. Try to avoid the indoor things. Maybe midwinter when it is cold isn’t a good time to go ski with kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Leshphilling77 View Post
    Separate mask for indoor stuff. Try to avoid the indoor things. Maybe midwinter when it is cold isn’t a good time to go ski with kids.
    At Squaw on really bad storm days they will claim 4 lifts open. 3 magic carpets and a baby chair lift. So apparently little kids are good to ski when things are too nasty for everyone else. Or so Squaw thinks.

I'll be using one of these https://www.buff.com/ca/buff-filter-mask/
    after trying ride lift accessed bikes this summer and having nothing but grief with ear loop masks these will stay on under a helmet.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    In a crowded lift line, I’d say that’s to be seen. Hopefully it’s extremely low.
    I’m really good, at avoiding crowds.

Whatever people wear, they better be able to deploy it quickly, with one gloved hand.

I can’t fathom how I wouldn’t lose an ear loop style mask throughout the course of a ski day. They are constantly moving up and down and off my face just in Walmart, nvm shredding. And just like that, now I’m constantly touching my face after touching possible covid shit. Can the virus live on my hands/gloves?

Name:  IMG_1693.JPG
Views: 2094
Size:  96.0 KB

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Utagonian View Post
    Will you be able to quickly discern if the gator is two layer or one layer like in the tests?

Most skiers and staff at Mt. Hood this summer were wearing single layer almost see through buffs. No super-spread event up there but there were some employee positive cases.

Plus, the study you refer to was not meant to be a conclusive guide describing which masks to wear, but rather how to test their varied effectiveness. Results regarding the effectiveness of any particular face covering were merely a byproduct of the study.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ne...ters-covid-19/
    Hm...

Well, here's to hoping my blue rag tube thing works. And that it's cold. I didn't even have to wear a neck gator much last year. Wasn't that cold. I also run warm.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Leshphilling77 View Post
    Well, of course. My family will likely avoid indoors as much as possible and probably just ski partial days, but I’m speaking more broadly and beyond my family unit.

The ski hills can also improve the treatment of their indoor air quality: big and plenty of hepa filters, windows open, improved filtration system of heater/furnaces.

There’s also gondolas and other indoor “lifts” that carry people both ways, like at sugarbowl. And the trams, funitels, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    after trying ride lift accessed bikes this summer and having nothing but grief with ear loop masks these will stay on under a helmet.
    those look very cool, for folks who don't wear a helmet, or plan to leave it on all day.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Well, of course. My family will likely avoid indoors as much as possible and probably just ski partial days, but I’m speaking more broadly and beyond my family unit.

The ski hills can also improve the treatment of their indoor air quality: big and plenty of hepa filters, windows open, improved filtration system of heater/furnaces.

There’s also gondolas and other indoor “lifts” that carry people both ways, like at sugarbowl. And the trams, funitels, etc.
    Hoping Squaw runs Squaw One. I have no desire to ride the tram or Funi, unless it's a super slow day and I can have a car to myself. I don't see any ski areas making lodges any safer than they already are, which is not at all. Bring lunch. Dress to be outdoors all day, hope you don't have to take a shit.

Y'all realize that facemasks while skiing, while in theory seems like it's going to be a great virus protection, it's not full proof at all. Your mask is going to build up all kinds germs on the inside and outside, then undoubebtly, everyone touches it all fucking day long. You're going to wipe your nose all over it and all over your gloves, adjust your mask, touch your face, etc.

It's really all about keeping your breath somewhat contained, but it's not ever going to be medical grade when you're skiing.

Then, there's the whole thing that you're OUTSIDE, so there's way less risk. There's no reason to wear anything more than a face buff this winter. Maybe take your surgical mask if you go in to the lodge, but that's it.

I'd say there is probably an argument out there that in certain scenarios, your face mask could build-up other peoples droplets accumulating in a frozen state on your mask.

Generally coronaviruses survive for shorter periods at higher temperatures and higher humidity than in cooler or dryer environments so those masks will make nice petri dishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    Y'all realize that facemasks while skiing, while in theory seems like it's going to be a great virus protection, it's not full proof at all. Your mask is going to build up all kinds germs on the inside and outside, then undoubebtly, everyone touches it all fucking day long. You're going to wipe your nose all over it and all over your gloves, adjust your mask, touch your face, etc.

It's really all about keeping your breath somewhat contained, but it's not ever going to be medical grade when you're skiing.

Then, there's the whole thing that you're OUTSIDE, so there's way less risk. There's no reason to wear anything more than a face buff this winter. Maybe take your surgical mask if you go in to the lodge, but that's it.

I'd say there is probably an argument out there that in certain scenarios, your face mask could build-up other peoples droplets accumulating in a frozen state on your mask.
    Nobody says they're foolproof. People still die in car accidents, despite seat belts and air bags. No reason not to use them.
    As far as bugs on the inside of the mask or buff, those already belong to you and aren't going to hurt you.
    As far as petri dishes--viruses require living cells to replicate. Bacteria require food. So neither will grow on a mask.
    As far as virus on the outside of the mask, better there than in your lungs, which is where that stuff would be if you weren't wearing it, but remember. the idea is to wear a mask to protect others. If the people around you are wearing them, virus on the outside should not be a big problem. If they aren't, push them off the chair. There's a video that shows how to do that.
    Not a bad idea to avoid handling them to the extent possible, definitely don't put them on a cafeteria table (better yet stay out of the cafeteria), when you take them off put them in a plastic bag, use sanitizer on your hands, wash the mask and hands with soap and water when you get home.
    If you wear a buff--double it.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Doubled gaiter. I have a wind stop gaiter I thought might work but it is probably too impermeable to breath through.
    It will be on at the base area, in line, and if I am sharing a lift with anyone besides family.
    This has been discussed over and over in other threads, please consider deleting this thread and using the search function.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...tte+recreation
    yo gramps aint it kinda counter productive to keep bumpin the thread and makin yur short stories longer than than they need?
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

->
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post
    Just shut up and ski.

Lift served biking this summer I used a 3 layer (astm level 1) surgical mask because I could pull it up for the lift line and unloading. I kept a double layer buff in a pocket in case the ear loops broke (common).

Winter I may try the same, but I bet I'll use a double layer buff. It is less good, but, being outside is almost as effective as two parties wearing a mask. Risk mitigation is additive.

Now if I have to ride a bus, N95!

You know some gapes are gonna be rocking these useless (for source control) things:
    Name:  wnfm114h3_1.jpg
Views: 1887
Size:  34.3 KB

For those who don't know me, infection prevention/epi is my current professional life and board cert.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    yo gramps aint it kinda counter productive to keep bumpin the thread and makin yur short stories longer than than they need?
    That is very hurtful. I have no grandchildren and likely never will.

Sent from my SM-G970U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    The politicization of "science" has been the most disgusting aspect of this entire odyssey
    Wtf are you talking about?

Science isn't political... it's science.

Just because science backs an idea your politics doesn't agree with, doesn't make it political.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    I was looking at those online today but I wonder how easy it will be to pull down when you don't want it on.

If the upper strap will fit around a helmet it could work but if it's under I see problems.

Would be interested to hear how it works for you in practice.

Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

I think it might be good for folks to practice a little ahead of time with helmet, mask, goggles. (That doesn't apply to you young whippersnappers that wear neck gaiters even on beautiful warm spring days. You already know how to do it. And pull your goddamn pants up!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    I was looking at those online today but I wonder how easy it will be to pull down when you don't want it on.

If the upper strap will fit around a helmet it could work but if it's under I see problems.

Would be interested to hear how it works for you in practice.

I have one of those. They will not be able to be pulled down - once it's on, it's on. I don't use it at all, really - I go neck gaiter 90% of the time, plan old surgical mask the other. Without the filter inside it, it's pretty much the same as a gaiter anyway.