Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by East2West View Post
    The mask is to protect others from catching it from you not the other way around.
    o rly ???

I bought the buff one with 30 filters. Now I just need 30 lift served days

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    o rly ???
    Yup

Under the buff? Over the buff? No buff? Helmet hooks? I do like the Under Armour sports mask I bought at the start of the pandemic. Three layer system, comfy. Can't wait to climb in the tram with strangers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201011_102245.jpeg 
Views:	131 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	343251

I predict Greenpeace is going to get pissed with all the mask trash on the mountains after the season is over. Heck, you see those masks all over the place on sides of trails, in parks, on the side of the road, in parking lots, etc, etc.

https://www.greenpeace.org/internati...-masks-end-up/
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    o rly ???
    so PERSONAL protection equipment , bsi, the 1st rule of sar and 1st response, and the armed forces nbc program all predicated on
    protect yourself at all times
    and do not become anothers victims is a good call
    whuda thunk
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    im still confused as to how anyone wearing any mask and protecting themselves and not gitting the coviods
    could possible exhale a virus they didnt contract because they protected themselves by not inhaling it to begin with
    can you explain how this would be possible
    in as few words possible
    If you wear a mask you can't get covids so you can't exhale covids so you don't need to wear a mask but then you can get the covid so you need to wear a mask. Clever.

But if we all truly want to protect ourselves we need to wear fake Chinese N95's that don't really work but it's the only kind we can get 10 months after this thing started.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    If you wear a mask you can't get covids so you can't exhale covids so you don't need to wear a mask but then you can get the covid so you need to wear a mask. Clever.

But if we all truly want to protect ourselves we need to wear fake Chinese N95's that don't really work but it's the only kind we can get 10 months after this thing started.
    Is there any evidence that the chinese N95s don't work? I may have to do some emergency travel soon and I have been considering buying these https://accumed.com/n95-mask-for-sal...e-mask-z1.html because they're the only N95 I can find online. I imagine they're still more effective than surgical/cloth masks?

Could do KN95 with a level 2/3 surgical mask over it.

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    the filter doesn't seem to work well if you are moving around
    ]
    Two things I learned getting acclimated to mine:

1. The filter does have a subtle top and bottom. Inverting it means it moves around with use.
    2. If you jam the edges as deep into the pockets as you can, you get a sort of friction/pressure-fit thing and it stays put better .

I've also seen that with use, the filter loses rigidity and slips around more. That slippage seems to be commensurate with the fact that it's probably time to pop in a new filter.

My 2 cents. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Is there any evidence that the chinese N95s don't work? I may have to do some emergency travel soon and I have been considering buying these https://accumed.com/n95-mask-for-sal...e-mask-z1.html because they're the only N95 I can find online. I imagine they're still more effective than surgical/cloth masks?
    My understanding--and take what I say with a grain of salt--is that the KN95 standard is similar to the N95, so a legitimate KN95 from China should be better than surgical or cloth masks, with the caveat that it's not fit tested the way an N95 is tested for HCW's. I certainly think it would be as good.
    I know that China has been selling us legitimate N95's (tested by NIOSH), fake n95's, legitiamte KN95's (not tested by NIOSH because NIOSH only tests the N95 standard) and fake KN95's.
    I would suggest that if you see an N95 on the open market it's probably fake--those are going to hospitals.
    I don't know how you would tell a fake KN95, because they aren't tested here. Maybe one of these articles will help.
    https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/user...rfeitResp.html (note that lack of NIOSH approval doesn't mean a KN95 is bad)
    https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/...nd-kn95-masks/
    https://medium.com/@jayparkmd/how-to...r-4eb55af3d820
    Good luck.

Edit--I don't know about the specific masks you're looking at. Given the shortage of masks for hospitals I'm skeptical. but they could be real. Certainly expensive enough. Maybe NIOSH has a website that lists legit masks they've tested.

Skiing and Covid-19 masks

https://cambridgemask.com/

The pro mask is rated higher than n95. 99.6 percent of all virus. Masks are tested by legit testing means. Not test fitted but I bought 2 and they work great. Comes with ability to close valve. I can put sunglasses on and zero fog even with respiratory hole closed, which is similar to hcw fitting.

Off topic question (or maybe on the original topic) - Anyone have any experience with the Under Armour mask? (https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/p/...k/1368010.html) I read a review about how it does a good job staying in place and doesn't move when you're talking, but I also heard that it was a little bulky.

Basically trying to decide between the UA Sportsmask and the Outdoor Research one. If I can't figure this out, I'm going to have to go out there with a dog mask from Cuddle Clones...

Quote Originally Posted by adamsmitt View Post
    Hi everyone. I am going to use balaclava as usual. It covers nose and mouse so I think everything should be alright.
    No way am I covering my mouse. How will he breathe?!

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    Do the proceeds go to the dogs?

Differentiating between KN95 and N95 is silly for people who don't have a fit test, much less a clean shave, and wear the same one for days... while it is possible those masks used in such a manner offer some degree of additional protection over a simple surgical mask, who can say if it is 1% more protective or 20%?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Differentiating between KN95 and N95 is silly for people who don't have a fit test, much less a clean shave, and wear the same one for days... while it is possible those masks used in such a manner offer some degree of additional protection over a simple surgical mask, who can say if it is 1% more protective or 20%?
    I think it's still important to differentiate between real and fake. How much of a difference--obviously no one knows. How good is a non fit tested N95--who knows? Good point about the beards--Covid cost my son a magnificent beard.

Beards are real bummer for the n/95. I could never pass a fit test with growth.

Beards have been hijacked by the far right movement, they ain't what you want anymore. It's the reason behind the anti-mask movement: facial hair issues. True story.

Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

the masks I ordered are pretty burley, but make my glasses quite foggy - they've got really long strings that I think I can use with a helmet and goggles and they might be ok outside

gotta try the OR and Buff filter systems
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Skiing and Covid-19 masks

I think a regular old buff is going to be the best option, most of the time.
    You don’t have to wear it skiing and something you can pull up with one gloved hand is best.
    Anything complicated with strings, is going to be a problem. Lifties won’t let you on, if your mouth and nose aren’t covered. Other than that, they don’t care.

But if you’re futzing with your mask and they won’t let you on and I’m behind you! Watch out!

Women’s bathrooms will be a problem and there won’t be much free water.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    what out for what?
    the aggro guy who hasnt been doing this for decades and counts vert and every second of the ski day matters?
    scawred am i
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    what out for what?
    the aggro guy who hasnt been doing this for decades and counts vert and every second of the ski day matters?
    scawred am i
    I assume he's prepared a list of 'clever' comments to say to his ski bubble/companions, said loudly enough for the person in front to hear. Lets hope he's ready for a clever retort from the mask-struggler.

Drama in the mountains. There's nothing like it.

please tell me we aren't going to see a return of the soul patch or--perish the thought--Hitler 'staches.