Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Maybe a two layer gaiter with a filter inside?

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    I was looking at those online today but I wonder how easy it will be to pull down when you don't want it on.

If the upper strap will fit around a helmet it could work but if it's under I see problems.

Would be interested to hear how it works for you in practice.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Any mask that you put over the helmet will probably loose on the sides and/or nose.

I wonder if it will be a good mask vs helmet decision? Might just be easier to skip the helmet.

Blackstrap
    https://bsbrand.com/collections/blac...clava-facemask
    two layer on face/neck, one layer elsewhere
    Made in Bend OR, US of FKNA

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    I have one of those. They will not be able to be pulled down - once it's on, it's on. I don't use it at all, really - I go neck gaiter 90% of the time, plan old surgical mask the other. Without the filter inside it, it's pretty much the same as a gaiter anyway.
    Thanks for the feedback... I'll skip it.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Blackstrap
    Impulse bought one just now... thanks.

Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    My in laws sent me an article from them explaining how the Russians caused COVID
    link please

Blackstrap
    Cool I didn’t know the company was from Bend. I’ve been using this one since I was forced at Big Sky on a squeaky cold pow day.
    Now the whole fam and a few friends have been enjoying them on the hill. In the early days of the outbreak it’s what I was using to enter grocery when hardly anyone was masking. Got many looks and a few comments.

Comfortable and thick

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Wtf are you talking about?

Science isn't political... it's science.

Just because science backs an idea your politics doesn't agree with, doesn't make it political.

are you kidding me? Of course science can be politicized. I don’t think I’ve met one Person, liberal or trumptard3d, that doesn’t think this was politicized in one fashion or another.

Science can indeed be politicized. See it all the time. A former colleague, who happens to be a crackerjack endocrinologist and behavioral scientist, attempted for years to obtain a grant to elucidate a certain pheromonal pathway strongly correlated with a sudden onset of aggression. He was repeatedly rejected, even though he had some strong biology. In one of his rejection letters, a reviewer wrote that some of his initial findings were "provocative". He shared that letter with me. As it turns out, there are lobbying groups as well as prominent activists that put considerable effort into steering federal funds away from science that they deem threatening. Gee, now who would be against studying the neuro-chemical basis of aggression? That's a real head scratcher.

Also, both the Clinton and Obama Administrations sought to politicize the Centers for Disease Control- Syphilis is a racist disease! Why are bull dykes fat? Gun violence is a disease! Don't know if Regan or the Bushes got involved at that level, wouldn't surprise me, though.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    im gonna use a whippet
    Breathing from a whippet is like using a ported n95 or p100 mask.
    You’re feeling fine, but I’m inhaling your exhale.

This whole thread proves the shitshow charade.

Pass me the whippet
    . . .

Whippets make new breathing holes.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Science can indeed be politicized. See it all the time. A former colleague, who happens to be a crackerjack endocrinologist and behavioral scientist, attempted for years to obtain a grant to elucidate a certain pheromonal pathway strongly correlated with a sudden onset of aggression. He was repeatedly rejected, even though he had some strong biology. In one of his rejection letters, a reviewer wrote that some of his initial findings were "provocative". He shared that letter with me. As it turns out, there are lobbying groups as well as prominent activists that put considerable effort into steering federal funds away from science that they deem threatening. Gee, now who would be against studying the neuro-chemical basis of aggression? That's a real head scratcher.

Also, both the Clinton and Obama Administrations sought to politicize the Centers for Disease Control- Syphilis is a racist disease! Why are bull dykes fat? Gun violence is a disease! Don't know if Regan or the Bushes got involved at that level, wouldn't surprise me, though.
    Bush banned federal funds for stem cell research. Reagan refused to deal with AIDS, I think it was Birx who got the corner turned on that. I don't recall the details. Regan treated her father very badly, to the point that he went mad. (I played Lear in the 6th grade. I was supposed to hold dead Cordelia in my arms but I refused to touch a girl, and anyway she was bigger than me.)

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Bush banned federal funds for stem cell research.
    I remember that!

Name:  ezgif-7-fea56db9ab05.gif
Views: 2753
Size:  1.01 MB
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Who needs a mask when you have an avalung?

Since I don't have an avalung I'll have to improvise, but I will not pull up my pants, Gramps ; )

Well let’s make the distinction between Buffs and fleece neck gators (the latter of which are typically worn by skiers). “That study” was clearly dealing with sheer neck gators, aka Buffs, even though they called them fleece neck gators. Wtf? I have to think my ~1/4 inch thick fleece gator provides way better filtration than my 1/32” thick buff.

In any case I’m thinking area skiing is going to be a complete shitshow, on multiple levels (scoring an inbounds pow day will be possible once or maybe twice if you’re lucky). Seriously thinking of deferring all my pass money till next season.

Quote Originally Posted by harpo View Post
    Who needs a mask when you have an avalung?

Since I don't have an avalung I'll have to improvise, but I will not pull up my pants, Gramps ; )
    Yeah sonny, one day you're going to fall flat on your face and you'll wish you'd taken my advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Utagonian View Post
    Will you be able to quickly discern if the gator is two layer or one layer like in the tests?

Most skiers and staff at Mt. Hood this summer were wearing single layer almost see through buffs. No super-spread event up there but there were some employee positive cases.

Plus, the study you refer to was not meant to be a conclusive guide describing which masks to wear, but rather how to test their varied effectiveness. Results regarding the effectiveness of any particular face covering were merely a byproduct of the study.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ne...ters-covid-19/
    someone that has a profile of Donald as an avatar doesn't want to be bothered by pesky things like facts

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Blackstrap
    These are kinda the norm in Big Sky. Great for the cold temps we have often. Downside is that they collect moisture and freeze solid and then are really hard to breathe through. I actually cut a small hole in mine so it doesn't freeze so bad at the mouth. Will have to get a new one without the hole now I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    Well let’s make the distinction between Buffs and fleece neck gators (the latter of which are typically worn by skiers). “That study” was clearly dealing with sheer neck gators, aka Buffs, even though they called them fleece neck gators. Wtf? I have to think my ~1/4 inch thick fleece gator provides way better filtration than my 1/32” thick buff.

In any case I’m thinking area skiing is going to be a complete shitshow, on multiple levels (scoring an inbounds pow day will be possible once or maybe twice if you’re lucky). Seriously thinking of deferring all my pass money till next season.
    When I wear my thin-as-fuck buffs in to stores and whatnot, my sunglasses fog up, I can feel the warm stank-breath on my face, and smell my nasty mouth just the same as the good old green surgical mask. It also gets kinda moist. There's no way it's not helping when just breathing or talking. A cough or a sneeze? Probably pretty useless but that's what elbows are for.

I'll keep wearing the buff until someone decides to do some actual research - which considering we are 6 months in to this pandemic and this hasn't been done yet is pretty ridiculous.

We can all do some research ourselves. Do the blow out the candle test with all your alternatives and with no face covering.
    Also, if your glasses or goggles are fogging it means your breath is coming out the top instead of through the mask--not good.
    I notice a lot more fogging breathing through my nose than through my mouth. Figures. When I was having PT after surgery they had me inhale through my nose, exhale through my mouth. I think it was to relax me. I might see if I can learn to do that when around people. People make me tense--pandemic or not.

Or you can just wear the least covering you think you can get away with and not worry about whether it is actually keeping you or anyone else safer.

We can all do some research ourselves. Do the blow out the candle test with all your alternatives and with no face covering.
    Also, if your glasses or goggles are fogging it means your breath is coming out the top instead of through the mask--not good.
    I notice a lot more fogging breathing through my nose than through my mouth. Figures. When I was having PT after surgery they had me inhale through my nose, exhale through my mouth. I think it was to relax me. I might see if I can learn to do that when around people. People make me tense--pandemic or not.

Or you can just wear the least covering you think you can get away with and not worry about whether it is actually keeping you or anyone else safer.
    If you want to label your “tests” as research and your interpretation of the “results” as data then have at it.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    I have one of those. They will not be able to be pulled down - once it's on, it's on. I don't use it at all, really - I go neck gaiter 90% of the time, plan old surgical mask the other. Without the filter inside it, it's pretty much the same as a gaiter anyway.
    Weird, I can pull it off my face and under the chin no problem. I like it better than buffs/neck gaiters as I personally don't like all the crap around my neck.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by East2West View Post
    If you want to label your “tests” as research and your interpretation of the “results” as data then have at it.
    I have no intention of sharing my research or my tests or my results or my data with anyone. For starters there are so many different masks and neck gaiters and whatever that anything I discover would be irrelevant to anyone else. Plus my investigations or inquiries or assessments or determinations would not be scientifically rigorous, since the strength of my blowing out a candle would not be reproducible from one exploration to the next. If you care then you can experiment yourself. If you don't care then just put something on your face and have at it. I've run out of synonyms.

I have no intention of sharing my research or my tests or my results or my data with anyone. For starters there are so many different masks and neck gaiters and whatever that anything I discover would be irrelevant to anyone else. Plus my investigations or inquiries or assessments or determinations would not be scientifically rigorous, since the strength of my blowing out a candle would not be reproducible from one exploration to the next. If you care then you can experiment yourself. If you don't care then just put something on your face and have at it. I've run out of synonyms.
    My inference was that any at home “testing” would be pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by East2West View Post
    My inference was that any at home “testing” would be pointless.
    Why?

Ok, let’s say that you have 2 masks. We’ll call them A and B. On mask A you use your normal blowing force and you extinguish the candle. Mask B you use the same force and the candle only flickers. You step up your blowing force to what feels like an increase of 20% and you extinguish the candle. Which mask has a greater efficacy in preventing covid transmission to someone else?