Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    At the resorts that are open, have they required you to wear masks on the chair if your just riding with the people who you came with?
    Are they requiring you to keep it on while your skiing? Like is patrol stopping people who aren't wearing masks while skiing?
    Or do you just need them on if you are indoors?

Quote Originally Posted by snorkelinthepow1 View Post
    At the resorts that are open, have they required you to wear masks on the chair if your just riding with the people who you came with?
    Are they requiring you to keep it on while your skiing? Like is patrol stopping people who aren't wearing masks while skiing?
    Or do you just need them on if you are indoors?
    At Alta, masks are required in lift lines / base area only. I pull mine down on the lift and pop it back up at the bottom.

Compliance is generally good, with a roving employee in the maze helping to remind people to pull the mask over their nose. So far I havent seen any push back (the sign coming into Alta saying "Save your pass, wear a mask" prob helps!).

Had a friend get reprimanded for
    not wearing a mask while on the lift ALONE.
    Was told masks help keep the lift sanitized.
    Ordered the Blackstrap balaclava.
    Testing it out this week.
    Foggy goggles are the next issue with the buff underneath the frame as OldGoat mentioned.
    Need to figure that out.
    Last trip I was taking them off on the liftride.
    Old school beanie, turtle fur buff and sunglasses might make a comeback.

I don't understand wearing them on the lift alone or with the people you live with, but if your friend works there, it would be about setting a good example. If not, that's stupid.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Probably already discussed... what’s the story with doubling up on a single layer long buff tube? Are some hills not allowing this? Too fiddly?

Hill-mask required in the lodge (bathrooms and to go food only), lift lines, and chairs if riding with those not of your household. Single layer buff is minimum. Big tents with sides fairly open for ventilation for a place to sit and eat. Lines in the corral for lifties to nicely remind a lot of people to pull masks up or cover noses. Advertising no mask lose pass and to make your car your new lodge. No day ticket sales yet. Hit parking capacity opening day Friday. Lift lines were slow. Weekend was not too busy. One of the major chairs is down so pressure on others. Snow wasn’t that great but rad for November.

Me-sizeable beard. Went with a buff as the masks I have don’t work under my helmet very well. I don’t like skiing in my buff so on and off a lot. First day was a pain because I normally tuck my gloves under my jacket and I have to take a glove off to get my mask on. Today went with gauntlets with leashes and worked much better. Could tell the air passing through my buff was a lot more than the masks I’ve been wearing around town. Just ordered a few different masks and double layer tubes that might work better for skiing. I usually ski with my helmet vents open so doubt a balaclava would be a good option for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Probably already discussed... what’s the story with doubling up on a single layer long buff tube? Are some hills not allowing this? Too fiddly?
    Banning single layer buffs, would be impossible to enforce. There’s no standard for permeability.

If your mouth and nose are covered. Lifties will leave you alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Banning single layer buffs, would be impossible to enforce. There’s no standard for permeability.

If your mouth and nose are covered. Lifties will leave you alone.
    Agreed, no way to enforce it.

I wore my buff filter tube yesterday, it worked okay but the filter doesn't stay put in the tube if you pull it up/down a lot. I don't typically wear a buff over my face, and I pulled it down on the lift if by myself or when skiing. This caused the filter to move around a lot in its pocket. I don't think it will work very well if its dumping, especially a warm/wet storm.

I think I may have to ditch the beard this winter as well, its just not ideal with a mask.

Just did 5 days straight with my OR ubertube filter thingy https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/p...earch_result=1
    Weather was from 7F windchill to 55F. I didn't even notice it, and that's as someone who normally skis without a mask. The ear loops and metal piece over the noise help a lot to keep it up and prevent fogging.

Quote Originally Posted by TWINS View Post
    Foggy goggles are the next issue with the buff underneath the frame as OldGoat mentioned.
    Need to figure that out..
    I've been wearing mine balaclava style like I always do when it's really cold or I'm lucky enough to have the need to keep pow out of my airways. I never have any issues w/foggy goggles. Super easy to pull up/down as well. Fold it like the girl at 0:50 in this video: https://buffusa.com/how-to-wear

Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post
    I've been wearing mine balaclava style like I always do when it's really cold or I'm lucky enough to have the need to keep pow out of my airways. I never have any issues w/foggy goggles. Super easy to pull up/down as well. Fold it like the girl at 0:50 in this video: https://buffusa.com/how-to-wear
    This method also doubled-up the layers at the nose and mouth. It’s definitely a lot more air permeable than any mask I’ve been wearing around town.

I went with the OR Adrenaline Sports Face Mask Kit

Here is my review.

It's really breathable. It's single layer; like a thick mesh. You can see through it without the filter so isn't really useable without the filter. The fit is really good. I feel like it offers me much better protection than other cloth masks or gaiters I've used while allowing me to breathe freely.

I tried to wear it at all times. It took about 45min before the filter was completely saturated with moisture. Temps were in the -5C range and i could tell the filter was freezing up. Ended up feeling pretty gross with the wet filter in direct contact with my face.

I didn't have an issue with goggle fogging, it was pretty easy to pull down/up when I needed to. The filter doesn't like to stay seated and ended up being pretty finicky with regular adjusting.

On my next day out I will try and wear it less and only when required. I'll also bring an extra filter to swap out when it gets nasty. I might end up sewing in a layer of merino to replace the filter or just go back to a regular buff.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    This method also doubled-up the layers at the nose and mouth. It’s definitely a lot more air permeable than any mask I’ve been wearing around town.
    Yep definitely an added benefit. I have accumulated lot of different buffs over the years, official and knock offs, some are much more thin/permeable than others.

I used the SB hood mask thing today--easy to raise and lower with DAF gloves. No fogging. I'm going to try the Buff balaclava method as well.

All the on-again-off-again seems like a huuuuuge PITA and an open invitation to get sloppy; why not just keep it on all the time? Is it really that bad??

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    All the on-again-off-again seems like a huuuuuge PITA and an open invitation to get sloppy; why not just keep it on all the time? Is it really that bad??
    I wore an n95 under a buff today, it was fine for tooling about but I skied a short pow shot and did a couple high speed Regulators top to bottom, I could see where sidestepping, trudging or heavy pow could present an issue with breathing.

If it's a pain in the ass for you don't do it. For some of us skiing with a mask is too hot. Prepandemic I couldn't keep a neck gaiter up during the downhill even on the coldest days. Up and down is very easy for me, although I can visualize sticking a ski pole between my legs as I put the mask up while still moving. As far as sloppy--no.

But it may all be moot--Gov is threatening full stay at home order.

OR (Outdoor Research) makes an amazing mask. I had no problems wearing it in the lift line, on the lift and while skiing. You barely notice it. Highly recommended. Bought a Phunkshun Double Tube. It was a PITA and will only be worn on the coldest of days. Both though, wicked away moisture and resisted snow and freezing.

Ruroc's marketing is working.

U.N.

There is a story out on ABC news that says according to the United Nations, Skiing may not spread the corona virus outside.
    So then I have to ask, why bother wearing a mask while skiing?

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSt...risky-74465304

Don't feed the trolls folks.

Used my blackstrap today for the first time covering my nose. In the past, I’ve only used it over my mouth when the wind is up and storming heavily. Today was one of those days so I was hoping it wasn’t too much different

Yeah, that was wet and uncomfortable...totally saturated by my fourth lap
    Not really much problem with goggle fogging
    Not sure there’s really any other way tho

Skiing and Covid-19 masks

^^^^I only want good Blackstrap reports......that is what we were planning on using after buying a shit ton of Blackstrap masks, buffs and balaclavas this past spring/summer...
    Last edited by BC.; 11-30-2020 at 06:28 PM.

I wore my mask pretty much the entire time I was skiing last week. I took it down a few times when riding the lift solo to drink some water, and once for a short boot pack in bounds. I skied in mostly dry and cool temps in the mid 20's. You definitely get warm wearing it all the time. But, I think it probably also prevents a freeze thaw effect if you take it off during the lift ride up.

Everyone is different with their tolerance for wearing a mask and exertion and weather conditions plays a part in the moisture issue of the mask. I will probably bring a second mask for the next lift served ski day, so I don't end up with a mask that gets over saturated.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

All this mask talk and no pics? Post the stoke folks.

Show off your mask quiver.

I get free surgical masks at work but may go cloth for skiing. Wet paper on the face is worse than wet cotton.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums