Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Skiing and Covid-19 masks

What kind of masks do people plan on wearing while skiing? Are you going to leave it on full time or put it on while at the lifts and lodges? It's gonna be a annoying to take on/off if you are wearing a helmet.

A neck gaiter like I would every other year.

I'm gonna 3d print & glue some ears to the side of my helmet for ease of mask on/off.

Gaiter alone isn’t going to do the job. Hate to say it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by thebear View Post

Says who??

Everyone in Ruroc
    27° 18°

Doubled gaiter. I have a wind stop gaiter I thought might work but it is probably too impermeable to breath through.
    It will be on at the base area, in line, and if I am sharing a lift with anyone besides family.
    This has been discussed over and over in other threads, please consider deleting this thread and using the search function.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...tte+recreation

Quote Originally Posted by danmelon View Post
    Everyone in Ruroc
    yeah boi u know my steeze

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	401 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	340712

Quote Originally Posted by thebear View Post

It’s what I wore everyday and It’s what 50% of the resort employees were wearing this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    It’s what I wore everyday and It’s what 50% of the resort employees were wearing this summer.
    I get it. Take the advice of minimum wage employees over that of medical professionals.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    I'm gonna 3d print & glue some ears to the side of my helmet for ease of mask on/off.
    Or a couple buttons sewn to some fabric on the helmet. No big deal if it means skiing

Quote Originally Posted by Greenstateofmind View Post
    Or a couple buttons sewn to some fabric on the helmet. No big deal if it means skiing
    Ooo I like that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post

compliance is already built in to your regular ski attire.
    My beard filters coronavirus? Sick

If masks work then why were so many prisoners released? Oh, masks don’t work? So what does it matter?

Lol when did this thread become a Trump Anti Science Convention...
    https://www.infectioncontroltoday.co...overing-at-all

Its 2020, its not "Gnar" to be an ignorant Covidiot

If I see anyone in a neck gaiter/buff I will not hesitate to publicly shame them in the lift line as a "Super Spreader". These animals must be stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by algae View Post
    why were so many prisoners released?
    Bigger protests?

When Baldy was the only area operating in March/April, I wore an N95 any time I wasn't actually skiing. Once moving downhill, I'd pull it down to breathe. Don't think anyone would complain as long as you put it back on before getting close to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    I know this thread is going to devolve pretty rapidly.... but to be honest, no one want the actual scientific evidence or general consensus of unbiased medical professionals.

So lets just keep this discussion blue collar.
    sorry, can't help myself
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/17/w...ers-masks.html
    takeaway message, while single was not effective, double layer gaiter was more effective, and doubled single layer gaiter blocked 90% of 0.5 micron particles.
    and my windstop gaiter which apparently blocks 100% of particles, including air molecules, is 100% effective because if you wear it you will stop breathing, I think. I have to work more with it but I'll probably just double the half of it that isn't windstop.
    One problem with all masks is that if it is too effective of a filter you exhale around it which negates the benefit.
    The best masks--N95--don't rely just on mechanical filtration but also on a electrostatically charged layer that attracts small particles, so you can still breath through them. I haven't heard about any non-medical masks that do this but I haven't researched the subject thoroughly.

I think it's going to take some time to figure out how not to fog goggles, what works in a blizzard, etc. Surgical masks and cotton masks seem like a bad idea if they're going to get wet from breathing hard or wet weather.

I can tell you guys that when I was working as a COVID screener in the spring on a construction project with 800-1000 workers on site, all wearing various types of masks, gaiters, bandannas, scarves, etc., we really didn't have any problem with COVID spread on site. Working outside, covering mouth and nose, handwashing and crew distancing all made a difference I think. My gut reaction is that most face coverings we are already used to are adequate for the ski area setting, as long as we do other things to prevent spread.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

^^indoor stuff at the ski hill

Use of restrooms, getting the cold and wet screaming kids warmed up, taking breaks, the kids that end up staying indoors for various reasons, customer locker rooms, ticket purchases, staff locker rooms briefing and debrief, grabbing/eating snack/drink....

There are plenty of solutions for that stuff, but continuing to wear the wet/frozen mask may not be a reasonable request.

Quote Originally Posted by SirHeady View Post

If I see anyone in a neck gaiter/buff I will not hesitate to publicly shame them in the lift line as a "Super Spreader". These animals must be stopped.
    That study measured the effects of various masks on droplets caused by speaking.
    So, maybe don't speak much in the lift lines.
    And if you're huffing and puffing at the end of your run, then stop before entering the maze and wait to catch your breath first. Don't cough at people, don't laugh, don't sing like choir practice, etc. Just shut up and ski.

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Quote Originally Posted by SirHeady View Post

Whatever.
    Hope to see pics of your beatdown.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    im gonna use a whippet
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    I get it. Take the advice of minimum wage employees over that of medical professionals.

... Thom
    If Managment deems it adequate for their employees, then they won’t require a higher standard from customers.

The chances of contracting the virus while skiing are extremely low.

I will wear a buff like I do anyway, and stay as far from the lodge as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    If Managment deems it adequate for their employees, then they won’t require a higher standard from customers.

The chances of contracting the virus while skiing are extremely low.
    In a crowded lift line, I’d say that’s to be seen. Hopefully it’s extremely low.