Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by optics View Post
    I bought a few of the OR masks that they talked about on blister. Super comfortable and replaceable filters.

If they aren’t blowing smoke it’s the same protection for the wearer as an n95 for everything but liquid blood.
    Have you worn one during exercise? How well can you breath? How does it deal with sweat? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Have you worn one during exercise? How well can you breath? How does it deal with sweat? Thanks.
    Yes. Itís hotter than a surgical or buff for sure. It seems like itís breathing ok - afterwards my face was sweaty but the mask wasnít wet.

The filter is removable so I guess you could adjust... if youíre wearing it in a purely ďprotect othersĒ mode, pull the filter for more breathability. If youíre in a situation where you want more protection (like lifts...) use the filter.

Iím definitely planning to use them this season unless they show some really bad issues with condensation icing or any of that.

Also nice that the ear loops can adjust top and bottom separately. So you can snug the chin without crushing your ears. And nice that the surface is antimicrobial. Nose metal is good too.

Not shilling, just endorsing because they seem really good.

Yes. It’s hotter than a surgical or buff for sure. It seems like it’s breathing ok - afterwards my face was sweaty but the mask wasn’t wet.

The filter is removable so I guess you could adjust... if you’re wearing it in a purely “protect others” mode, pull the filter for more breathability. If you’re in a situation where you want more protection (like lifts...) use the filter.

I’m definitely planning to use them this season unless they show some really bad issues with condensation icing or any of that.

Also nice that the ear loops can adjust top and bottom separately. So you can snug the chin without crushing your ears. And nice that the surface is antimicrobial. Nose metal is good too.

Not shilling, just endorsing because they seem really good.
    Thanks. That's very helpful.

I saw good masks on sarshop.com
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    I saw good masks on sarshop.com
    I read that as being about SARS, not SAR.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...coverings.html

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Well then, guess I'm wearing the old surgical greenie when I'm in the lift lines. The government really needs to get on the same page here. Walking in to doctors' offices and government buildings they have signs outside depicting neck gaiters as suitable face coverings.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Well then, guess I'm wearing the old surgical greenie when I'm in the lift lines. The government really needs to get on the same page here. Walking in to doctors' offices and government buildings they have signs outside depicting neck gaiters as suitable face coverings.
    Yeah consistent messaging would be great. I think this thing is constantly evolving and that kind of consistency is unlikely to happen.

Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

I bought a few of the OR masks that they talked about on blister. Super comfortable and replaceable filters.

If they arenít blowing smoke itís the same protection for the wearer as an n95 for everything but liquid blood.
    I just got a couple of the OR masks. Nice looking product. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Todds View Post
    I just got a couple of the OR masks. Nice looking product. Thanks.
    I got one too. I've been trail running with it. It's very good. Easy to move from face to chin when adjusted "just right," and stays much more dry than the other masks I was using.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Surgical greenie as in non-disposable cloth OR mask? Those were gone when I started medical school in 1976. Did they hang on longer where you are?
    Excellent choice.

I got one of the Blackstrap balaclava masks. The mask part is double layer and seems like it will be easy to raise and lower with a helmet on. The head part is single layer and will take the place of the thin helmet liner I wear instead of the ear flaps on the helmet which I rarely wear.

So what are peeps plans at the hill for outdoors and indoors (food, shitter, etc.?). On colder days, my neck gaiter/buff gets wet/frozen at my mouth/nose/chin, whiskers the same: wet/frozen. That situation gets more extreme on storm days. Often on storm days, Iíll rotate my buff/gaiter around so the wet/frozen zone is at the back of my neck. Are you all carrying another mask to switch to for when youíre going to be indoors?

If they arenít blowing smoke itís the same protection for the wearer as an n95 for everything but liquid blood.
    Definitely blowing smoke. The website references the number 95, but the standard that is cited regarding the filter material is for surgical masks (i.e., source control, as opposed to protection for the wearer), not N95 (or the very similar KN95 or FFP2 standards).
    Also, just in case anyone is planning to wear an N95 for home surgery or homicide, only the surgical versions of N95 respirators protect against blood, and such versions appear to be very rare.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    So what are peeps plans at the hill for outdoors and indoors (food, shitter, etc.?). On colder days, my neck gaiter/buff gets wet/frozen at my mouth/nose/chin, whiskers the same: wet/frozen. That situation gets more extreme on storm days. Often on storm days, Iíll rotate my buff/gaiter around so the wet/frozen zone is at the back of my neck. Are you all carrying another mask to switch to for when youíre going to be indoors?
    Iíll be eating cup o noodles in the parking lot and peeing in the snow bank. Probably drink beer there too

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    KN95 for any necessary indoor trips (inevitable dump). Otherwise, a buff with filter in lift lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed el Loco View Post
    Iíll be eating cup o noodles in the parking lot and peeing in the snow bank. Probably drink beer there too
    Standard operating procedures then.

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Wtf are you talking about?

Science isn't political... it's science.

Just because science backs an idea your politics doesn't agree with, doesn't make it political.
    How the "science" is weighed and evaluated can be subjective (and therefore made political).

The grade of evidence and the conclusions drawn from the findings can be heavily biased.

This is nothing new, if you are oblivious that I question your own understanding and riggor.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

My cousin used this one while while skiing his time on Whistler Blackcomb https://buffusa.com/filter-mask . Very comfortable he says.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    How the "science" is weighed and evaluated can be subjective (and therefore made political).

The grade of evidence and the conclusions drawn from the findings can be heavily biased.

This is nothing new, if you are oblivious that I question your own understanding and riggor.
    I guess you have a bit of a "point" in what some do, but the fact that you put the word "science" in quotes makes me wonder what your opinion of science is.

If it's a truly "riggor"ous scientific study there should be no room for biased conclusions. And if someone makes biased conclusions that violate the "science", then that is not "scientific".

Just saying something is science doesn't make it so.

Unfortunately science, like all human endeavors, is subject to bias. Scientific work varies in the quality of the experiment, the quality of the statistics used to analyze the data, and the quality of the conclusions. IME the latter is inversely proportional to the potential profit from the theory or product being tested.
    Certainly information obtained from the scientific method is more likely to be valid than what somebody "feels" must be true, but it is not foolproof. The first thing I do when I read a medical paper is to look at the fine print at the bottom the first page where you see who funded the work and what potential conflicts of interest the authors have.

^^^ yeah I get that and I'm not suggesting it's foolproof.

And I would argue that something subject to such bias isn't really scientific despite how they try to make it look.

Anyway... thread drift over.

https://buffusa.com/buff-products/ma.../127367.779.20

Buff finally made a buff with filter pocket. This seemed like a no-brainer to me from the start. I wonder if other folks will follow suit.

Note that the filter traps 98% of BACTERIA. No mention how good it is against viruses, which are much smaller. At worst, though, it's at least a 2 layer buff. so I would think it's good enough for it's purpose.

If they aren’t blowing smoke it’s the same protection for the wearer as an n95 for everything but liquid blood.
    the filter doesn't seem to work well if you are moving around

has anybody found something like this with a better filter system

edited to add:

maybe this:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DFTBCWN/ref=emc_b_5_t

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    the filter doesn't seem to work well if you are moving around

has anybody found something like this with a better filter system

edited to add:

maybe this:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DFTBCWN/ref=emc_b_5_t
    It has an exhalation valve, so no.

Chronic Complainer Experiencing Ikon Cognitive Dissonance Since 2018
    Ow! My Balls!