Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Well then, guess I'm wearing the old surgical greenie when I'm in the lift lines. The government really needs to get on the same page here. Walking in to doctors' offices and government buildings they have signs outside depicting neck gaiters as suitable face coverings.
    Yeah consistent messaging would be great. I think this thing is constantly evolving and that kind of consistency is unlikely to happen.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by optics View Post
    I bought a few of the OR masks that they talked about on blister. Super comfortable and replaceable filters.

If they aren’t blowing smoke it’s the same protection for the wearer as an n95 for everything but liquid blood.
    I just got a couple of the OR masks. Nice looking product. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Todds View Post
    I just got a couple of the OR masks. Nice looking product. Thanks.
    I got one too. I've been trail running with it. It's very good. Easy to move from face to chin when adjusted "just right," and stays much more dry than the other masks I was using.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Well then, guess I'm wearing the old surgical greenie when I'm in the lift lines. The government really needs to get on the same page here. Walking in to doctors' offices and government buildings they have signs outside depicting neck gaiters as suitable face coverings.
    Surgical greenie as in non-disposable cloth OR mask? Those were gone when I started medical school in 1976. Did they hang on longer where you are?
    Excellent choice.

I got one of the Blackstrap balaclava masks. The mask part is double layer and seems like it will be easy to raise and lower with a helmet on. The head part is single layer and will take the place of the thin helmet liner I wear instead of the ear flaps on the helmet which I rarely wear.

So what are peeps plans at the hill for outdoors and indoors (food, shitter, etc.?). On colder days, my neck gaiter/buff gets wet/frozen at my mouth/nose/chin, whiskers the same: wet/frozen. That situation gets more extreme on storm days. Often on storm days, I’ll rotate my buff/gaiter around so the wet/frozen zone is at the back of my neck. Are you all carrying another mask to switch to for when you’re going to be indoors?

I bought a few of the OR masks that they talked about on blister. Super comfortable and replaceable filters.

If they aren’t blowing smoke it’s the same protection for the wearer as an n95 for everything but liquid blood.
    Definitely blowing smoke. The website references the number 95, but the standard that is cited regarding the filter material is for surgical masks (i.e., source control, as opposed to protection for the wearer), not N95 (or the very similar KN95 or FFP2 standards).
    Also, just in case anyone is planning to wear an N95 for home surgery or homicide, only the surgical versions of N95 respirators protect against blood, and such versions appear to be very rare.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    So what are peeps plans at the hill for outdoors and indoors (food, shitter, etc.?). On colder days, my neck gaiter/buff gets wet/frozen at my mouth/nose/chin, whiskers the same: wet/frozen. That situation gets more extreme on storm days. Often on storm days, I’ll rotate my buff/gaiter around so the wet/frozen zone is at the back of my neck. Are you all carrying another mask to switch to for when you’re going to be indoors?
    I’ll be eating cup o noodles in the parking lot and peeing in the snow bank. Probably drink beer there too

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    KN95 for any necessary indoor trips (inevitable dump). Otherwise, a buff with filter in lift lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed el Loco View Post
    I’ll be eating cup o noodles in the parking lot and peeing in the snow bank. Probably drink beer there too
    Standard operating procedures then.

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using Tapatalk

My cousin used this one while while skiing his time on Whistler Blackcomb https://buffusa.com/filter-mask . Very comfortable he says.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    How the "science" is weighed and evaluated can be subjective (and therefore made political).

The grade of evidence and the conclusions drawn from the findings can be heavily biased.

This is nothing new, if you are oblivious that I question your own understanding and riggor.
    I guess you have a bit of a "point" in what some do, but the fact that you put the word "science" in quotes makes me wonder what your opinion of science is.

If it's a truly "riggor"ous scientific study there should be no room for biased conclusions. And if someone makes biased conclusions that violate the "science", then that is not "scientific".

Just saying something is science doesn't make it so.

Unfortunately science, like all human endeavors, is subject to bias. Scientific work varies in the quality of the experiment, the quality of the statistics used to analyze the data, and the quality of the conclusions. IME the latter is inversely proportional to the potential profit from the theory or product being tested.
    Certainly information obtained from the scientific method is more likely to be valid than what somebody "feels" must be true, but it is not foolproof. The first thing I do when I read a medical paper is to look at the fine print at the bottom the first page where you see who funded the work and what potential conflicts of interest the authors have.

^^^ yeah I get that and I'm not suggesting it's foolproof.

And I would argue that something subject to such bias isn't really scientific despite how they try to make it look.

Anyway... thread drift over.

https://buffusa.com/buff-products/ma.../127367.779.20

Buff finally made a buff with filter pocket. This seemed like a no-brainer to me from the start. I wonder if other folks will follow suit.

Note that the filter traps 98% of BACTERIA. No mention how good it is against viruses, which are much smaller. At worst, though, it's at least a 2 layer buff. so I would think it's good enough for it's purpose.

the filter doesn't seem to work well if you are moving around

has anybody found something like this with a better filter system

edited to add:

maybe this:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DFTBCWN/ref=emc_b_5_t

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    the filter doesn't seem to work well if you are moving around

has anybody found something like this with a better filter system

edited to add:

maybe this:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DFTBCWN/ref=emc_b_5_t
    It has an exhalation valve, so no.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2645.JPG 
Views:	220 
Size:	328.8 KB 
ID:	343222
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2646.JPG 
Views:	229 
Size:	319.1 KB 
ID:	343223
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Hi everyone. I am going to use balaclava as usual. It covers nose and mouse so I think everything should be alright.

Quote Originally Posted by adamsmitt View Post
    Hi everyone. I am going to use balaclava as usual. It covers nose and mouse so I think everything should be alright.
    What a great first post!
    This is to important so don’t be a douche
    Read before you infect someone

^Such compassion in times of COVID. Whatever happened to "STFU JONG"
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    I think that guy posts on fry cook oil research now
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Name:  command-mini-clear-hooks-with-clear-strips.jpg
Views: 1604
Size:  22.9 KB
    I figure permanent hook on one side of helmet, detachable on the other. Ear loop mask should be easy enough to deploy/stow, even if I have to take one glove off. Magnets would might be a good option if this becomes the new normal.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    It has an exhalation valve, so no.
    im still confused as to how anyone wearing any mask and protecting themselves and not gitting the coviods
    could possible exhale a virus they didnt contract because they protected themselves by not inhaling it to begin with
    can you explain how this would be possible
    in as few words possible
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    im still confused as to how anyone wearing any mask and protecting themselves and not gitting the coviods
    could possible exhale a virus they didnt contract because they protected themselves by not inhaling it to begin with
    can you explain how this would be possible
    in as few words possible
    The mask is to protect others from catching it from you not the other way around.