Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast
    I've found that a Moldex n95, no straps, held up to my face, and then pulling my buff over it, holds it in place with an OK seal for tram/gondy rides or dashes into the lodge.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I've found that a Moldex n95, no straps, held up to my face, and then pulling my buff over it, holds it in place with an OK seal for tram/gondy rides or dashes into the lodge.
    Thanks for that. I’ve been wondering if my buff over N95 would create a good seal if I went strapless. I planned to try it next Friday, thanks for being on the same wavelength.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

I like this idea. Thanks!

I don’t know how y’all can ski with an n95. Yesterday, during my lunch break, I wore my non-quantitative fit-tested n95, into my break room (up and down stairs) to grab my lunch and pee, then outside (35* and sunny), and trotted through cat track messed snow about 300’ over to the food place to grab coffee. All in a hurry. I was super out of breathe (and overheating). I would not have been out of breadth w/o a mask.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Thanks for that. I’ve been wondering if my buff over N95 would create a good seal if I went strapless. I planned to try it next Friday, thanks for being on the same wavelength.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I like this idea. Thanks!

I don’t know how y’all can ski with an n95. Yesterday, during my lunch break, I wore my non-quantitative fit-tested n95, into my break room (up and down stairs) to grab my lunch and pee, then outside (35* and sunny), and trotted through cat track messed snow about 300’ over to the food place to grab coffee. All in a hurry. I was super out of breathe (and overheating). I would not have been out of breadth w/o a mask.
    I'm not an epidemiologist or immunologist but.. even with mounting evidence that Omicron particles are smaller and harder to filter out I'm still optimistic that outdoors in the wind they dissipate enough to where intermittent masking is good enough. Have to stand shoulder to shoulder in a line or actually have a conversation.. pull the GOOD mask up even if you have to hold/adjust it under the buff to make sure it's tight for those 3-5 minutes it really needs to be sealed up tight. Rest of time just keeping it within reach... floating around in the neck gator should work.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

The moldex has reasonable structure for the buff to pull on, and a large filter area for easier breathing. (I am fit tested for the moldex, but I doubt it would fully pass after extended use like this).

I picked a solution that is better than a double buff, but likely less effective than wearing a N95 the whole time with straps.

The difference is that I'm willing to buff+N95 sometimes. I'm not willing to N95 all day.

There are no guarantees, only relative risk reductions. Pick what works for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Read between the lines. Or actually, look at the graph

Name:  5C11F18A-4910-4722-B564-51E1B23D8B8D.gif
Views: 610
Size:  11.0 KB

Negative correlation in the candlestick
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    You're an asshole troll, you're not performing some kind of service to the masses by "making us think" or "questioning the science". You're just posting bullshit, getting called on it, and moving on to the next piece of BS, and then hiding behind the "oh, but we can't question this stuff, can't doubt Fauci!"

Fuck off.
    As Danno said above.

Can we all tell CoreShot to fuck off, eat a bagodicks and ignore? He's not genuine in asking anything. Thanks.

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

None of those links work.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Trolling is the best way to catch fish.

Unless you have live bait.

Ymmv
    would not the best way to catch fish be the one that brings you the most enjoyment

the art of the send matters
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

None of those links work.

In plain text:

science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abg6296

sciencealert.com/the-evidence-is-in-one-mask-type-stands-out-as-the-best-protection-against-covid-19

science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abi9069

science.org/doi/10.1126/sciadv.abf0452
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    In plain text:
    <br>
    <br>Thanks for those. I've take the approach of an n95 in gondolas and just riding the singles line (so on the outer edge of the chair always) has worked well so far.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Never seen purple text here before.

Something odd happened. When I pasted those four links they all four merged into one. When pasted again after deleting original they kept their purple color.

I skied with a maggot yesterday who had Covid two weeks ago. His symptoms ended 13 days ago, both of us vaxxed and boosted. All information shared ahead of time, and both of agreed to the plan. I wore my N95 with buff over it, and he wore a 2 layer buff. I felt safe riding lifts with him. Parking lots beers afterwards. I had a great time.

I had a great time.
    FKNA to that!

I skied with a maggot yesterday who had Covid two weeks ago. His symptoms ended 13 days ago, both of us vaxxed and boosted. All information shared ahead of time, and both of agreed to the plan. I wore my N95 with buff over it, and he wore a 2 layer buff. I felt safe riding lifts with him. Parking lots beers afterwards. I had a great time.
    I’d be ok with that.

One of my ski buds tested positive Saturday after feeling hung over Friday morning (pretty normal for him). Only tested Saturday cause he was going to visit an older relative. He’s off work until Wednesday and is skiing everyday. Says he doesn’t feel guilty because if he hadn’t been going for the visit, he never would have tested and he’d be out spreading it unknowingly. Claims he’s wearing a mask but based on his past mask wearing, it’ll be half assed.

Not sure if I’ll ride a lift with him next weekend or wait a bit. I’ll probably do the N95 under a buff because I’m sure he’s not the only one out there who’s positive and ignoring quarantine.

Yeah, much better to spread it knowlingly.

Quote Originally Posted by NWFlow View Post
    Yeah, much better to spread it knowlingly.
    I have no doubt there are people who are testing positive and experiencing only mild symptoms that are still skiing. I tested positive 2 weeks ago. Had a very mild cough. That and a bit of sinus congestion. Cough went away a day later. Sinus congestion lasted about 5 days. No other symptoms. Double vaxxed and boosted. I stayed away from everyone. I stayed away from the lifts and just did some touring by the resort this past Saturday.

I'm pretty sure I picked up the virus while skiing 6 days prior. Just wearing a buff in the lift line and a double layer cloth mask. There were a few people in the lift lines that would cough now and again, and that was the only time I was actually ever around people other than my wife, who fortunately has not tested positive and remains symptom free. So, I actually had left the ski resort after only an hour that day because I was feeling exposed with just a cloth mask and not an N95. In any event I won't be skiing without an N95 mask in the future. Hoping that having had COVID now and being vaxed and boosted does help with not getting it again though.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Hoping that having had COVID now and being vaxed and boosted does help with not getting it again though.
    *For at least a while....

I'm starting to come around to the idea that it will always be with us, and it is incumbent on people who have symptoms to take basic measures to prevent the spread... Like don't go out around other fucking people when sick.

I'm with Harry here.

Omicron changed the outdoors and proximity to non household people rules I was following. Beginning of season I thought it was probably mostly OK go be fully vaxxed and a couple feet away from strangers outdoors unmasked. Now not so much.. But most people i see skiing and other places are not covering up. If I am in a packed corral or if I ride with non household folks mask comes up. More than 2-3 minutes shoulder to shoulder in a crowd is about the max I'm comfortable with. I still honestly think riding a lift is probably OK as long as it doesn't stop for 5 minutes.. But, I'd rather already have the mask on for that possibility.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

My county lifted its mask mandate today.

I don't anticipate a spike though, because no one wore them anyway.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I don't want to have to wear a balaclava in the lift lines anymore. It's soggy and gross and tastes like snot. Either they need to enforce actual masks, or just let people do what they want. "Wear a face-covering" is stupid.

I got the itis

god damn it
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Most of the time, I rock these PM2.5 as a layer in my cloth OR and other cloth masks. When I shop (food, liquor), I will ideally use the KN95. I find the fibers uncomfortable on the skin, but they are the most effective (5 layers of protection). KN95 is kind of like getting laid using 2 condoms.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2012.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	859.0 KB 
ID:	402122
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix