Last minute fishing/camping suggestions for WY

Mags,

I know this is super last minute, but I am leaving Aspen for Cooke City, WY at noon today (9/17). I was supposed to leave last night, but had an emergency vet visit for my pup (he is doing great now) and got delayed.

I am planning to stop somewhere on the way and camp and hopefully fish tonight. Towing a small camper, but am fully self sufficient off grid.

Any suggestions assuming I do get on the road around noon?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Sorry...Cooke City, MT. My destination is a ranch in WY 30 minutes to the south.

"We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Not sure if you can still buy a rez license in Shoshone, but stopping in Wind River Canyon would be my suggestion. What ranch are you heading to? My family still has quite a bit of ranch land in Sunlight Basin. Which I assume where you are headed
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

K Bar Z. Buddy and his dad are out on a guide trip this week for elk, then he is staying a second week to hunt non-wilderness area of 51 with me.

I kind of assumed looking at the map my best option is somewhere on the Wind River?

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    K Bar Z. Buddy and his dad are out on a guide trip this week for elk, then he is staying a second week to hunt non-wilderness area of 51 with me.

I kind of assumed looking at the map my best option is somewhere on the Wind River?

Very cool, I have heard the hunting has been tough sledding so far, but it looks like a semi cool front this weekend so that might get em moving. Yea I would definitely say the Wind River, fishing in the canyon is a very cool experience. You have to have a reservation license though. Right below the canyon and right above the Wedding of the Waters is a pretty good wading spot if you cant get a rez license. Wave to the fam when you get to the K-Z, they are right across the fence! My parents still have a cabin just outside of Cooke City which is my favorite place in the world! Tons of good lake fishing up on top of the pass if you want to take a day off from the hunt.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Awesome...thanks Telee. I was mainly looking for just like a little two hour wade spot for the evening (unless I should bring my mouse rod...haha) and a place to put up camp. Even if it is just catching some 7” brookies or something.

Thanks for the update on hunting. Hopefully the rut heats up and we get some bugles next week. Took six years to draw the tag...so definitely looking forward to it!

Seems like it will be a true back in time wilderness experience with wolves and grizzlies and hopefully few people.

Yeah it will be full on wilderness experience, look out for the grizz they have been even more active than usual this year. You probably already considered it but hitting up the Grey Reef at night with a mouse would not suck in the least!

Shit...maybe I will hit grey reef. Didn’t thing it was far enough along in my trip.

Any beta on where to camp and fish? PM if necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    Very cool, I have heard the hunting has been tough sledding so far, but it looks like a semi cool front this weekend so that might get em moving. Yea I would definitely say the Wind River, fishing in the canyon is a very cool experience. You have to have a reservation license though. Right below the canyon and right above the Wedding of the Waters is a pretty good wading spot if you cant get a rez license. Wave to the fam when you get to the K-Z, they are right across the fence! My parents still have a cabin just outside of Cooke City which is my favorite place in the world! Tons of good lake fishing up on top of the pass if you want to take a day off from the hunt.
    Dood, it sounds like your life is a chapter out of Longmire. NICE!
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Shit...maybe I will hit grey reef. Didn’t thing it was far enough along in my trip.

Any beta on where to camp and fish? PM if necessary?

Camping there should put you about 4-1/2 hours from Cody, so not a bad haul tomorrow morning. There is pretty good dispersed camping right around Alcova (hell I have even slept in my truck at the boat ramp. Fishing through there can be pretty damn all time.
    schindlerpiste, my family makes Longmire look like a bunch of pussies. They migrated from Russia in the late 1800's and homesteaded there, a bunch of tough bastards!

Wow! The stories that they must be able to tell...

Rte. 296 looks gnarly
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Thanks Telee! I will hope to find some slow water and report back.

The wife is letting me take our new Casita camper on the trip...so should be easy to sleep anywherez

The hunting was a bit of a let down, but did have a couple awesome days...just couldn’t connect on a nice bull. Some great fun and memories though.

Buddy and his dad did a guided hunt and didn’t get a single shot chance in a week...that one was tough, but dad had a great time...which is all that matters in Elk hunting.

A wonderful area and unit. We did almost have to shoot a momma grizzly that came at us...but she backed off and took her two cubs with her. Then of course, one of the cubs came in to cow calls a couple hours later and a mile from where we chased them off.

Having a big grizzly come toward you and under 30 yards in low light gets the blood flowing. I think our lights on our pistols confused her and partially blinded her for a minute as we moved and gave her space.

Telee...Oliver Gulch is where we ran into the most grizzlies during the week. What a great and scary basin that is!

Last minute fishing/camping suggestions for WY

Oh and because I know people will comment...we had some days that were windy as shit. We were glad to have both spray and 10MMs with 15 round mags filled with high penetration bear defense ammo.

I would not of wanted to only have spray when the wind was flying...only asking for trouble in that situation. Also, walking up on a dead carcass from some idiot not properly tracking his bull will put the fear of God in you. Those bears are huge and fast as shit! Watched a couple close distances extremely fast. Fun times.