Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anyone toured with the Rustler 11s?

Curious to see if anyone has experience going uphill on these.
    In the room the women come and go
    Talking of Michelangelo

I dunno, they're ~2kg with a mix of tip splay and camber right? so they'll be kinda heavy, skin fine, and probably ski great?

Anyone toured with the Rustler 11s?

Yep. Real short tours. eg. Baker and Whistler side country.

Mine are mounted with Shifts as I often ski a few hours inbounds first before a side country afternoon lap. Perfect set up for those days. Itís all about the down with this set-up.....sticker weight negligible...not trying to be quick up.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2427.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	204.1 KB 
ID:	340440
    Last edited by kc_7777; 09-16-2020 at 01:13 PM.

Good to know. Thanks for the reply!
    In the room the women come and go
    Talking of Michelangelo

I have r11s with shifts. Had a great day skiing the Pumphouse near Silverton last January. They tour about like any other relatively heavy ski. Not fast on the up, but acceptable.
    For me they fill the middle spot between 4frnt Renegades and Zero G 85s.
    U.P.: up

Paging @I've seen black diamonds! to the white courtesy phone ...
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Everybody else got it right. Great ski. I have 188s mounted with Shifts. Ideal resort and sidecountry rig for me. Too heavy (and long) for a dedicated touring rig by my standards. When I have toured on them I appreciate the relative burliness but not enough to do it regularly.

Not sure how much lighter 180s are or how much float you lose.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app
    Last edited by I've seen black diamonds!; 09-15-2020 at 08:28 PM.

Mine are 180s, but Iím 5í6Ē 145 lbs. I sure wouldnít want to go smaller than 180 because I have a problem of over driving the front of the ski and plowing.
    If I donít push on them too much they do float really nicely. One of the last times I was out on the Rustler 11s, I was at Hyak with about 4 or 5 inches of new snow on ice. For the first run under the hidden valley chair, I got them up to cruising speed and McConkeyed down without ever touching the ice under the snow. I was silent when everyone else was scraping. I miss that kind of fun...
    U.P.: up

I was doing 2000m days without too much difficulty in Whistler with them - but I did have inserts so I could move between Shifts (which are too heavy for that kind of touring) or Tectons (which are perfect if you want a more touring-focused setup).

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    Curious to see if anyone has experience going uphill on these.
    Yes, but I didn't get that far.

I have shifts on mine and as mentioned, they ain't light but they will get up the mountain if a bit slower than you normal would. Obviously ski pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    I have shifts on mine and as mentioned, they ain't light but they will get up the mountain if a bit slower than you normal would. Obviously ski pretty well.
    how do you like them for touring compared to Wildcat Tours?

My girlfriend used the Sheeva 11s as her heavier touring ski. She didn't bring them out for days with more than 1500m....and mostly kept them for 1000-1200 meter days. They weren't fast, but steady enough.

The 172s were lighter than your 188s...but proportional to skier size...

She dropped the bindings from the Sheevas and is using retired resort Wildcat 174s in their place. Better float for the effort.

Same story as everybody else. R11 188 with shifts. Its not fast, but man you can get after it on the way down compared to true lightweight touring options.

Just mounted 188 Rustler 11s with Shifts for a primary resort and sidecountry ski at Targhee. Hoping I enjoy them as much as everyone in this thread.

I had 180ís with Backland bindings a couple seasons ago, they were fine going up with light skins. They skied great as expected. I went to lighter and narrower skis for a season but missed the fun of a bigger ski. I picked up some zero g 95ís for longer days but went big again for fun tours.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by IrieIbex View Post
    how do you like them for touring compared to Wildcat Tours?
    They’re heavier, and better in the resort. Wild cat tours are a touring ski.

Kinda the oddball out here. 192 R11s with CAST setup. Heavy as fuck. Skis like a fucking champ.

Iím 6í2, 170 lbs, college. This is my only setup. Resort, side country, backcountry, 2000 meter days, 4000 meter days, etc. Some days I go home with legs that are more tired than others but I never have a bad day of skiing on these.

I wouldnít mind getting a more lightweight ski for a cast second pair, but havenít found anything in my price range and could use some recommendations. I love how the R11 slides and have a hard time moving away from it.

Also, for anyone thats going to use these to tour, getting split skins from contour is the way to go for anything over 110 waisted on skis. Saves some weight and if you have multiple pairs of wide skis with touring bindings, you can reuse them within a certain length range.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtlange View Post
    Also, for anyone thats going to use these to tour, getting split skins from contour is the way to go for anything over 110 waisted on skis. Saves some weight and if you have multiple pairs of wide skis with touring bindings, you can reuse them within a certain length range.
    I've been curious about those. How annoying are they to install with the two strips of skin flapping around? Seems like the fiddle factor when yoyoing shorter laps could be a PITA.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    I've been curious about those. How annoying are they to install with the two strips of skin flapping around? Seems like the fiddle factor when yoyoing shorter laps could be a PITA.
    Its not as straight forward as a normal skin, but it isn't terribly finnicky. You can stick one side, then move to the next and it wont peel off. I think its an overall positive tradeoff of weight vs usability.

I will say I wouldn't use the split skins unless I had a binding that I cant transition without taking the ski off. Im a big fan of the keep the skis on transition and you cant do that with both sides being tip buckles. They also have a HUGE range of length adjustment, like 20CM so they can be a "quiver killer" for skins which is neat because I can use them on the R11 and my protests. I'm also a fan of their glue in general. Contour makes a good skin and the split skin actually kind of feels like an innovation in the market.
    Last edited by Jtlange; 09-18-2020 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Redundancy

I used Contour's split 1st gen skins a lot last season on everything from 90mm BMTs to Wunderstick118s. They are awesome. The first gen glue is not perfection, but at the price I got them for they are more than worth it. I really like how they fit on so many of my skis, and they tour great. There can be a bit of slippage on wider skis, but as long as you keep them bases flat or do not go on too steep of an incline (think super, duper steep wtf type track, not merely steep) they are fine. My transitioning technique is shit, so that part is not a worry for me at least.

I did multiple tours on R10s with ATK FR14s last year and a single tour on R11s with Shifts. I found the latter to be more work than it was worth for going to summits, but perfectly fine for traverses with slight elevation gain. The R10s were awesome for soft snow touring, even if I do not like ATK toes - they are too harsh imho, especially on a titanal ski. I would def go touring with either ski in R10+R11 quiver, both mounted with Vipecs. That would be an incredibly versatile setup and would honestly cover everything other than the deepest days.

Quote Originally Posted by Cozzey View Post
    192 R11s with CAST setup.
    For skiers who need CAST, the 11's are a perfect touring ski. V-Werks Katanas, and BC Corvus would be the others I'd look at if I were CAST skier.

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    I did multiple tours on R10s with ATK FR14s last year and a single tour on R11s with Shifts. I found the latter to be more work than it was worth for going to summits, but perfectly fine for traverses with slight elevation gain. The R10s were awesome for soft snow touring....I would def go touring with either ski in R10+R11 quiver, both mounted with Vipecs. That would be an incredibly versatile setup and would honestly cover everything other than the deepest days.
    Iíve been researching 100mm, light, bc skis for use with a lighter touring binding than a Shift. eg. a Salomon MTN or Tecton or Vipec....but I just canít get behind a 1300-1400gm ski that would feel like shit on the way down.

So was thinking I should just say f it and throw some light bc bindings on a R10.....

Keep things simple I say.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    For skiers who need CAST, the 11's are a perfect touring ski. V-Werks Katanas, and BC Corvus would be the others I'd look at if I were CAST skier.
    Why? Care to expand? Looking to do CAST for a tucks EC set up and havenít sorted out the ski yet. I know you always regarded PMG skis and I think we had similar taste in skis. TIA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk