Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Yup

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

We’re the product. Crazy how these guys completely rewrote the rules to our brains and wired into them. No wonder they are all billionaires.
    What the fuck was I doing back then?

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    I think that's ^^^^^ a verbatim quote from the movie.
    I thought it was we "are the product" period full stop.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    We’re the product. Crazy how these guys completely rewrote the rules to our brains and wired into them. No wonder they are all billionaires.
    What the fuck was I doing back then?

Talking with friends in real life, making phone calls, and generally having legitimate and meaningful connections with people that matter to us?

At least that's what I'm doing after I pulled the ripcord on the BookFace, and I'm all the better for it. Save for this place, a handful of motorcycle sites, and the occasional twitter scroll for NBA content, there's little social media in my life. I've made it a point to connect with, and keep up with friends the old school, vintage means; phone calls, texts, and until the 'rona, in-person. It's great.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Talking with friends in real life, making phone calls, and generally having legitimate and meaningful connections with people that matter to us?

At least that's what I'm doing after I pulled the ripcord on the BookFace, and I'm all the better for it. Save for this place, a handful of motorcycle sites, and the occasional twitter scroll for NBA content, there's little social media in my life. I've made it a point to connect with, and keep up with friends the old school, vintage means; phone calls, texts, and until the 'rona, in-person. It's great.
    Word

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Thanks.

I guess in my opinion the only way to minimize is to go full Luddite, and even then it's hard to say how disconnected you can actually get. I do use Signal for SMS and am trying to move away from Facebook, etc, but it's hard to avoid, and I know I'm only using ad blockers and Signal because I want to virtue signal. The 6800 posts on TGR and countless hours wasted on social media, not to mention the first 10 years of MySpace/Facebook where there was unfettered data collection and no data encryption happening, thousands of dollars spent on Amazon... there's probably a pretty damn good profile of who I am and what I like at this point. In fact, I bet the Tech companies know me better than I know me.

After reloading the TGR page with my privacy tool (Ghostery) (more virtue signalling I guess, mostly installed because I like websites to not crash my browser due to ad load) disabled, there are 51 trackers on this website, all feeding data to only God know who and where:

Attachment 340454
    i went through the trackers and on stood out

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 06.40.33.png
Views: 691
Size:  56.8 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 06.40.06.png 
Views:	52 
Size:	393.0 KB 
ID:	340519

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 10.19.50.png 
Views:	54 
Size:	180.9 KB 
ID:	340520

LOL YOLO
    maybe i should sign up there and they will have the 100%right partner for me!
    and my sexual preferences wouldn't need to be discussed...
    blonde skiing domina in high heels

techcompanies have a big leverage on governments
    if austria would release stricter laws for citizen protection and google would say we turn off all our services for this country..... the outcry would be huge

unreflected internet cosumption of tweenagers/teenagers is a problem too. guess techcompanies know if kids are "gay" or "whatever" before there parents and maybe before themself. thats crazy

offcourse you can feed the algoriddim and troll around but on the longrun there will be a red line in the data you leave.

I was watching a Barbie movie this morning and my kid hit pause and this was on the screen.

Name:	IMG_1687.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	184.1 KB 
ID:	340533

Haha. We’re all fucked.

(Yes I’m a bad parent)

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post

(Yes I’m a bad parent)

You're not a bad parent. Just buy him enough pink dresses.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    You're not a bad parent. Just buy him enough pink dresses.
    Pink dresses have festooned the home and closets for years now , next step.....a snowboard, to really seal the deal.

I haven't watched the movie, but if you want a slightly more academic look at this topic, I highly recommend Bruce Schneier's book "Data and Goliath".

If you're not familiar with Bruce Schneier, he's an old school computer scientist who is focussed on cryptography. He published a couple of industry standard books on the subject. He's also a professor at the Harvard Kennedy School and on the board of the Electronic Frontier Foundation. In other words, he's got the chops to be someone who's opinion on this subject is worth listening too.

I haven't watched the movie (cancelled netflix a while back because the algorithm kept me way too engaged) but that books looks interesting, I'll have to check it out.

Name:  a21.png
Views: 330
Size:  693.9 KB

Even if you check out, the data collection on you continues, because your friends and family have not. There is sort of a herd mentality, errr critical mass, that when enough people are providing data, they are able to sweep up data on the rest from what others report. We need to blow the whole thing up, except for the electronics and cars forums.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

I should not have watched that movie. Or, maybe I shoulda.
    Fucking disturbing and I have two social media age daughters. The stats about suicide and hospital visits for bodily harm in the age of this crap hit me pretty hard.
    Compared to our older daughter’s peers, we shelter the shit out of her as far as tech and social media go.
    Still has some access but I worry about the problem of limiting too much vs releasing the reigns. After watching that doc Tho my gut, (and probably social feeds soon), will be telling me to disconnect our internet and data. Maybe just go with one rotary phone in the kitchen and a TV with 4 channels. Shit, I got by.

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    After watching that doc Tho my gut, (and probably social feeds soon), will be telling me to disconnect our internet and data. Maybe just go with one rotary phone in the kitchen and a TV with 4 channels. Shit, I got by.
    Have you thought about moving to Londonderry, VT? Cell phone reception is marginal at best, and there are no cable companies other than VTel and all I can say about them is, "God bless their little hearts."
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

And one less non-denominational church to connect with others too I might add.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Have you thought about moving to Londonderry, VT? Cell phone reception is marginal at best, and there are no cable companies other than VTel and all I can say about them is, "God bless their little hearts."
    Has anyone ever told you you're like the Greg of Southern VT? It's good to see old friends!

I watched it last night. The funny part is, I know all that stuff...and I'm sure lots of people do. BUT: when you see or think of the individual parts, it's kind of a "wtf" thing, but when each part is combined into one easy-to-digest, convenient 90min package...it's terrifying!
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Netflix: The social Dilemma (2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Nope. I dig where I live. An hour from me is pretty damn remote. And plus, What would I do without TGR? Guess my kids will have to navigate life in the tech world.

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    And plus, What would I do without TGR? Guess my kids will have to navigate life in the tech world.
    Well, when your daughter has run off with some 30yr old from Cheyenne she met on Tinder, you might reconsider just how selfish it was wanting to live in an area just for a low latency connection to the TGR server in Wilson.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

So is it just like a power-strip thing out there if you want to connect to the Wilson server?

How long of a cord do you guys need?
    I still call it The Jake.

Original soundtrack by Trent Reznor for this movie. Nice.

I'm pretty sure that movie was bankrolled by Amazon and Apple, since they never get called out but do the exact same shit as Google and Facebook no matter what Apple's BS ads try to tell you.

Netflix: The social Dilemma (2020)

Somehow I doubt it based on the fact it’s streaming on Netflix and not on Prime or Appletv. Apple and Amazon also don’t have a social media platform like the others, so maybe that’s why there was no direct call out?

I do recall a former Apple exec was one of the contributors. Edit... it was Lynn Fox, former dir of corporate pr at Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    I'm pretty sure that movie was bankrolled by Amazon and Apple, since they never get called out but do the exact same shit as Google and Facebook no matter what Apple's BS ads try to tell you.
    The difference between Apple and Amazon, and the social medias is that by and large, they do not fundamentally change the way you think, act, or consumer information. Sure, they all collect data, but one manipulates the content you see, and the others do so to sell you more on their marketplace.

Both are highly complicit, especially Amazon since much of US internet runs on their data center infrastructure. And they paved the way for the massive amounts of data collection.