Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    I've switched from chrome to edge this week. That'll show them!

Edge is chrome. Firefox, Opera....

I just watched this tonight.
    Absolutely terrifying, and made me wonder how much I know to be true is not known to be true by people two doors down.
    The civil war scenario seems awfully close to where we are right now.
    We won’t make it to the singularity...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I just watched this tonight.
    Absolutely terrifying, and made me wonder how much I know to be true is not known to be true by people two doors down.
    The civil war scenario seems awfully close to where we are right now.
    We won’t make it to the singularity...
    i watched it last night with the family. loved the dude with the dreads. very scary notions but seemingly all too true. the fucking world we live in, fkna.
    swing your fucking sword.

If you really want your mind blown, listen to the first hour of Joe Rogan's interview with Tristan Harris from a couple of weeks ago. He goes into way more detail about what FB/IG/YT is doing, and you're not going to like it.

Also watched this week. The case for regulation is pretty compelling. Two other takeaways: 1. developers are also addicted and 2. developers interviewed either do not let their kids use the platforms or heavily restrict their use.

my father watched as he browsed twitter, reading about how the nwo stole the election from donny.

Fucking frightening. Sure some people may be settling scores but generally, hearing people in the industry discuss this was disturbing. The whole part with dudes reengaging that kid were seriously f BALLZ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    Fucking frightening. Sure some people may be settling scores but generally, hearing people in the industry discuss this was disturbing. The whole part with dudes reengaging that kid were seriously f BALLZ.

It's true. When I pulled the plug from the BookFace many years ago; the platform knew I nuked all the apps of my devices, so it started sending me various emails about friends, their activities, photos of me, events, and so on. Eventually, I had to author a Gmail rule to immediately forward all FaceSpace directly to the trash.

That said, the irony of using gmail, which now serves up ads, to block social media is not lost on me...

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    If you really want your mind blown, listen to the first hour of Joe Rogan's interview with Tristan Harris from a couple of weeks ago. He goes into way more detail about what FB/IG/YT is doing, and you're not going to like it.
    I forgot about the whole episode. I watched a snippet on YT. I do remember him discussing that invariable, all YT rat holes lead to insane-balls, conspiracy theory garbage. Why? Because it keeps you engaged longer, no matter where you start or on what side you fall on a particular issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    That said, the irony of using gmail, which now serves up ads
    Gmail has had ads since its inception.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Gmail has had ads since its inception.
    Interesting. It's only the last year, maybe less, that ads have appeared in the mobile app. And by ads, I mean ads inline to all that email messages, as if they are their own email message.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Edge is chrome. Firefox, Opera....
    Opera is Chinese now.

I forgot about the whole episode. I watched a snippet on YT. I do remember him discussing that invariable, all YT rat holes lead to insane-balls, conspiracy theory garbage. Why? Because it keeps you engaged longer, no matter where you start or on what side you fall on a particular issue.
    Exactly. People don't realize that YT/FB/IG/TT/etc show you content that you'll engage with, not stuff they think you'll like. That goes for ads, friends' posts, group content, etc. If I didn't have to use FB for my business, I would have dropped my account years ago.

H
    It's true. When I pulled the plug from the BookFace many years ago; the platform knew I nuked all the apps of my devices, so it started sending me various emails about friends, their activities, photos of me, events, and so on. Eventually, I had to author a Gmail rule to immediately forward all FaceSpace directly to the trash.

That said, the irony of using gmail, which now serves up ads, to block social media is not lost on me...
    From day one, gmails purpose has been to mine your email to build a better profile on you.

I have migrated to Protonmail, and have attempted to leave most non-important accounts still set up with the gmail account. The services that send to proton mail still end up selling your data so filtering is still needed.

Rogans take at the end of his interview with Tristan is pretty accurate unless the GOV gets involved in big way-> we are screwed

but what they didn't talk about was how the mag mods sell all our shit to the north koreans and get us addicted to jongery.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Is the movie appropriate for fairly savvy 13 yr olds? I'm thinking it would be a good educational experience as they consider social media in the near future. We're draconian, they only got their first devices on 13th birthday and they currently are happy to follow our lead of "social media is more fucked up than good".

In many ways, 13 -15 yr olds are the target audience of this flick

Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    Is the movie appropriate for fairly savvy 13 yr olds? I'm thinking it would be a good educational experience as they consider social media in the near future. We're draconian, they only got their first devices on 13th birthday and they currently are happy to follow our lead of "social media is more fucked up than good".
    all children this age should be required to watch it

Yup. After watching, for the second time with my wife, we are thinking our daughter gets her driver's licence before a smartphone. This will not turn out well, no matter which path is taken I think.

I finally cut the cord with FB last night.......Under the 'reasons' tab I simply put fuck Zuckerberg.....I feel great this morning.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

I started late and ended early on the FB. Sucker berg can suck the likes out of my hose.

Bannon calls for the decapitated heads of Fauci and Wray. Facebook says that's not enough to ban him.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN27S35P

Quote Originally Posted by char_ View Post
    H

From day one, gmails purpose has been to mine your email to build a better profile on you.

I have migrated to Protonmail, and have attempted to leave most non-important accounts still set up with the gmail account. The services that send to proton mail still end up selling your data so filtering is still needed.

Rogans take at the end of his interview with Tristan is pretty accurate unless the GOV gets involved in big way-> we are screwed
    Yes, I know. Hence the crushing irony I felt using gmail tools to filter out Facebook email notifications.

If one is to take it that far with email is to find and pay for an email hosting service and use something like Apple Mail or Thunderbird as their email client.